Image not available

533x960

1628658245684.jpg

🧵 Untitled Thread

Anonymous No. 909450

what are your thoughts on branching to real world products using your 3d knowledge, like cnc carvings from zbrush sculptures?

Sigma No. 909539

Any context to your picture?

How was it made?

I think it's gorgeous.

Anonymous No. 909540

>>909539
as far as i know, it was sculpted in zbrush and caved in a cnc machine, im thinking on branching out to make this, im a bit tired of making naked furrys for people.

Sigma No. 909554

>>909540
Wowie.

I had no idea CNC machines could do such a thing, thought only 3D printing machines could do it.

Can all of them just reproduce details as neatly as that piece?

Anonymous No. 909570

>>909554
>Can all of them just reproduce details as neatly as that piece?
not beginner level, you would need a 3 axis or a 4 axis cnc machine, there are a lot of choices now, but not all of them can handle 4 axis and not all of them have the strength.

>2 axis = y, x
>3 axis = y, x,z
>4 axis = z, y, x, x rotation

look at this video, these russian dudes make some awesome stuff, the video shows the whole process, form wood preparation to the finished carving.
https://youtu.be/8Uw3FRXcZo4

Sigma No. 909690

>>909570
Anon, I do know 3D modeling and sculpting, but not CNC milling so much.

In 3D, we need 3 axis to work: x, y and z.

Why would another 4th axis be needed, exactly?

Does it changes the final piece quality in any way?

Also, what is the price range of a good CNC machine?

Can it also cut stone?

Image not available

734x410

1629329446077.jpg

Anonymous No. 909711

>>909690
>Why would another 4th axis be needed, exactly?
i was referring to the cnc machine movement ranges, there are some that use 5 axis, see picrel
>Does it changes the final piece quality in any way?
yes it does, the more movement the machine has the better options for quality you have
>Also, what is the price range of a good CNC machine?
oh anon, that's a tough question, mid level machines (hobbists andlow level crafts) range from 1500 to 5000usd, the stronger/bigger machine are super expensive, all of those are industrial level machinery that go for 30 or 50k or even more, but there are also hobbist machines that go for 500 or less, some are pretty inexpensive but are pretty simple, not strong and not provide much surface to work on.
>Can it also cut stone?
yes, i've seen videos of machines cutting marble like this https://youtu.be/Xi9cpxONbDY, most of these machines are used to cut metal, so stone is not that difficult

Sigma No. 909892

>>909711
Wow this is all very fascinating! Which model would you buy if you wanted to do something for craft or hobby?

Something on the budget of between 500 USD to 3,000.00

Also, is there a CNC service out there?

I imagine this works great for small things, but what if you want to work on something bigger such as a sculpture or a pillar or something similar?

Image not available

1200x675

1635178688853.jpg

Anonymous No. 910320

>>909892
>Which model would you buy
to be honest i haven't researched much, i think i am just scratching the surface, but as of now i am interested in the Onefinity Journeyman x50, out of all the videos i've seen this one seems pretty strong and for a starting point maybe a good one, at around the price range you mentioned
>pillar or something similar?
some i've seen that carry a fourth axis add on, that serves as a rotational mill, that works wonders for pillars and balusters, but these are always way more expensive

Image not available

884x672

Happy_Pepe.png

Sigma No. 910418

>>910320
Thanks, anon! That was really helpful.

I wish you luck in your milling!

Image not available

4032x3024

689EBCC6-C742-4E3....jpg

Anonymous No. 910429

Currently work in CnC field. Just making countertops, so nothing ridiculous and only in 2d basically. But if anyone has any questions, I can try to answer. These are 2 very large (size of a house room) machines. We have two more on the other side. I draw in CAD, but we can import 3D models if we ever got such a request.

Anonymous No. 910430

>>910429
Sorry, pic is sideways. Doesn’t matter anyway.

Anonymous No. 910472

>>910418
Thank you anon, hope you get interested in the field and good luck
>>910429
op here, thanks anon, i have a few questions, mostly as a beginner, i think i just started to scratch the surface on this cnc thing, but i am inching towards starting the hobby even maybe getting a job doing this stuff.

what kind of studies do you need to get into the cnc industry? i have a degree in graphic design focusing on 3d modeling and animation... (im kinda tired of the industry and want a change), i know how to use fusion360, right now i am mostly a character sculptor working on zbrush mainly, so i have been treally interested in getting some classes on cnc, do you think that my design background would help me in some way to find a job? or would i be better off starting cnc as a hobby?

Anonymous No. 910556

>>910472
You can very easily start in a lower-tier higher-output situation like a granite or wood shop in order to learn the basic flow. I have zero professional experience or schooling in cad, or anything else but audio engineering for that matter. Taught myself computers, learned some “cad” concepts on google sketch, understand the general flow of doing work with computers. Otherwise, I was just a sharper computer guy than my boss had ever had working in his office before, so I got the job. From there I figured out how to do my job and our workflow quickly, and spent my free time exploring the program and it’s functions and piecing together how they interact with the cnc machines. It’s fun for me, someone who loves to figure things out. But more so, if you have any kind of schooling, you’ll be a shoe-in for 2d or simple 3D cad jobs, and from there you can move up. I can’t give you advice on how to get a glamorous high-paying job making space station parts because I just saw an ad on indeed.com for and called up.

My advice if you’re looking to break in on the ground floor, look for any kind of fab shop that absolutely does not have their shit together, and make it better.

Image not available

780x670

1629486850417.png

Anonymous No. 910567

>>910556
Thank you very much for your input, i always wondered if these kind of jobs needed engineering school, but your comment is good news to me, i should have also said that my first bachelors is in computer science, but never got far with that, i have always been good with computers and learning new apps, all my sculpting knowledge is self thought, so i am more then ok with studying new workflows and stuff, also i am a son of a mechanic, so i know my way around with tools and working with my hands.

last week i enrolled at a tech school for cnc course, starting classes next month for the beginner stage, so hopefully i get the hang of it fast. thank you anon. i feel encouraged.

Anonymous No. 910634

>>910567
To be honest, a lot of the stone world is older school tradesmen who are still halfway doing things the old school way. My boss is an example. He has a good setup and is all about automating and going the digital route, but he’s not a computer guy, therefore is not getting everything out of his machines that he should be getting. He told me that he’s only going to hire computer guys from now on, considering that it’s just that kind of industry now. We still have a manual saw, which he’s replacing in 6 months or so, and an old cnc with windows 98 on it. Luckily we have two newer machines that supplement that older stuff, but it’s been a wild ride learning how this all goes together. I never thought I would be sticking around in this industry, but he wants to open a second shop in Florida, and he would have had a much harder time doing that if I didn’t come along and revamp his network and workflow, and learn better ways to run his equipment.

So that being said, any computer expertise, more than just getting on Facebook, will really put you above the old school guys and immigrants/illegals that these smaller shops tend to hire that don’t even know how computers work… when your entire shop is run on computers.

Image not available

550x550

5-Axis-CNC-Comple....jpg

Anonymous No. 910641

>>909554
>I had no idea CNC could do such a thing i thought only 3d printing could do that
Fucking tech illiterate zoomers

Image not available

800x800

1640310353743.jpg

Anonymous No. 910799

>>910634
Thank you for the insight anon, hopefully i can find some place that i can help bring their business into modernity, but ill be happy just to find a job where i can learn how to use all of the machines, meanwhile back at home i can practice making picrel stuff, i really like 3d, but as i said before i am kinda tired of working on games and animations, its not that fulfilling anymore, or maybe im just becoming old now.

i started in 3d because i wanted to make characters and monsters into animations, now i just want to make some of the same stuff but in real life.

got any info on online info dumps or maybe courses/tutorials?

Anonymous No. 910866

>>910799
I don’t, as I said I really didn’t start anywhere. I just fucked around at home with 3D printers and software a couple times, and when I got this job I really learned all I needed to know here. And I just figured out what my boss couldn’t tell me.

But my general advice is to learn all you can from your peers, but also use your noggin if something doesn’t add up. Cnc is simple* and most of the time if there’s a problem, you’re thinking too hard and the machine is actually thinking something dumber than you could have imagined.

General YouTube is the best place to start with cnc I guess. If you want to write actual G or M code, you just have to YouTube it for starters. But most programs these days handle all that as a subroutine and the functions are a click of a button to save you time.

In what general area are you located?