Image not available

800x475

3D fluid modeling.jpg

๐Ÿงต I want to start in the world of 3D rendering

Anonymous No. 928255

Before asking my main question, I want to clarify that I have never animated in 3D and I don't know anything about 3D animation and 3D modeling either, but I know how to draw very well. I have been drawing all my life and I have done a lot of very fluid and realistic 2D animations and I guess this will be a great advantage for me in 3D animation

Well, coming to my main point: In independent 3D animations (3D animations made by a single person) I have always noticed the lack of realism and consistency in fluids such as water or thick fluids such as melted cheese or honey and this seems to me something totally uncomfortable and unpleasant to see due to the simple fact of the lack of realism in the viscosity and density of the fluids

My questions are:
Is the realism of the fluids in 3D animation determined by the program in which it is created or does it depend on the modeling that the animator gives it?

What is the best 3D program or software to create 3D animations with the most realistic liquids/fluids possible?

Anonymous No. 928257

fluids are usually simulated (or in some cases faked using non-sim procedural systems).
the best simulation method we have is FLIP.
how FLIP is implemented and the amount of control over parameters users are afforded, varies from program to program.
FLIP is an approximation and uses many hacks to be fast. parameters such as viscosity, surface tension, adhesion etc need to be art directed.
houdini will offer the most flexibility with its native FLIP implementation, however there are FLIP addons for other DCCs.

Anonymous No. 928272

>>928257
Flip uses VDB-esque approximation, its not 'best' if you mean quality of simulation, it sjust the cheapest.

Anonymous No. 928273

>>928255
There is no best way to animated water, no one has done it to 1:1 of current real life water. I'm sure you as a 2D artist knows that water takes on many forms, you can not shape it or control it. This is the same problem.

Anonymous No. 928279

>>928255
Recreating fluids 1 to 1 in 3d is impossible. You can use whatever to make a sim that convincing enough.

Anonymous No. 928281

>>928279
>>928273
I am not looking to simulate water perfectly, I am looking to simulate water in the most realistic way possible

Within the means of an average independent animator obviously

Anonymous No. 928283

>>928272
>its not 'best' if you mean quality of simulation

What is the "best" for you?

Anonymous No. 928312

>>928272
it's a decent compromise between looking realistic-ish and not taking the heat death of the universe to simulate i.e. the best solution for vfx we've got right now.

Anonymous No. 928410

Bump