Image not available

290x290

87ABBA12-F17E-4E2....jpg

🧵 Untitled Thread

Anonymous No. 929049

why is everyone so obsessed with non-destructive workflows?
who tf has time for boolean modelling?
remember when we just painted on paper without having ctrl z there to block our happy accidents?
talking from the pov of a conceptual artist btw, I get that if you’re just doing technical client work you need it.
But my point is I think non-destructive systems block our creativity and overwhelm us with choice paralysis.

Anonymous No. 929052

>>929049
These people have never heard of the YAGNI principle. They build huge node structures to do simple things because they "will be able to use it for similar projects" in the future" but once that project is there adapting their huge node tree takes as much time as creating a new one or just doing it old school.

Image not available

934x932

1667547516712814.jpg

Anonymous No. 929081

>>929052
>...huge node tree takes as much time as creating a new one or just doing it old school.

...noone ever made nodes that could be recycled for other projects, or, build up there node toolchain to be project agnostic!

Anonymous No. 929082

>>929081
wut

Image not available

300x193

300px-Something_o....jpg

Anonymous No. 929083

>>929081
>node toolchain
First "research and development", now this cringe.
Tech artists please just stay in your fucking lane.

Anonymous No. 929088

>>929083
Node tools are great.
There's a reason every big AAA game studio or VFX company uses houdini.
Oh you sculpted a character?
That's nice, I just created 1,076 unique rocks and boulders with houdini

Image not available

634x650

1657776235756.png

Anonymous No. 929090

>>929083
>Tech artists please just stay in your fucking lane

...jez, the amount of no idea is enlighting! ...no wonder your beloved 3d industry jobs get outsourced to india!

>>929088
>That's nice, I just created 1,076 unique...

this! ... noone cares if you are the mathteacher of perfect topology ...

Image not available

690x445

1670137152868295.jpg

Anonymous No. 929092

>>929090
ranjeet has posted

Anonymous No. 929093

>>929092

..when the cope kicks in!

Anonymous No. 929094

>>929092
>reaction image

Anonymous No. 929110

>>929049
>I think non-destructive systems block our creativity and overwhelm us with choice paralysis.
>our
>us
speak for yourself smoothbrain.
non-destructive systems allow for fast prototyping / tons of iterations in little time.
They also give tons of leeway for happy accidents and unorthodox and unforeseeable use-cases.
>choice paralysis
don't tell me you start working without a plan or rough idea.
>remember when we just painted on paper
Yes, its been 5 hours, I did it BEFORE starting Houdini.
godfuckingdammit, and you call yourself a conceptual artist?

Anonymous No. 929164

>>929049
Non destructive fosters creativity, because it fosters flexibility. The ability to go back and change something at every iteration without backing yourself into a corner is a boon to anything that requires creative thinking.
With destructive workflows, you might reach a point where your project is unworkable without major changes that would take a large amount of work to fix, and might mean starting over. With a non-destructive workflow, it could be a simple matter of changing something down the stack.

The whole concept of being "overwhelmed with choice paralysis" makes no sense whatsoever. It's not like when creating something with the flexibility to be edited down the line means you have to imagine every single possibility that object can take. It's literally just the same as taking a text document and going back to edit a sentence, erasing a spelling mistake you made in pencil, or even when painting (something that's mistakenly thought of by laymen as a completely destructive process) painting over a section of your work and repainting it.

Work smart, not hard. It's not extra work to weave in non destructive elements into a model, and it saves you work in the long run if you do have to mess around with it. Avoiding destructive operations altogether is retarded, since there's always going to be a point where you're going to have to dive in with one, but keeping those to a minimum is beneficial.
Avoiding non destructive elements in a workflow just seems like ignorance and a lack of experience and knowledge on how to apply them. Either that or misplaced ego, like those people who believe that you should never ctrl-z, and that things need to be perfect in one go and on the first attempt.

Anonymous No. 929206

>>929049
>talking from the pov of a conceptual artist btw
You could've just said that and we'd have known to put your opinion where it belongs: the trash.

Anonymous No. 929263

>>929049
Here is why Maya and other real 3D programs except blender have non-destructive workflows.

You make a house and later you want to change it, if this was real house you have to destroy the part you hate. non-destructive house means you can just say no to that part and make do. $10,000 in house damage vs simple editing of house, the choice is clear.

Anonymous No. 929275

>>929049
Booleans are a meme promototed by shotacon Muslim terrorists like JL Mussi. True lumber jacks build a village with projective primitives.

Anonymous No. 929339

3ds max vs. Houdini; stack history vs. node history.

Thoughts?

Anonymous No. 929517

>>929049
no one does, so I have no idea what you're talking about. my standard workflow is to do a rough, dirty, destructive blockout where my only interest is to test out interesting shapes and get proportions/ideas right.

then I recreate a clean low poly version. finally I clone that or straight up take it to zbrush and make a high poly to bake onto the low one.