1162x1440

68FF635C-98DD-4D2....jpg

๐Ÿงต Untitled Thread

Anonymous No. 885856

Anyone ever went to school for 3D animation? Is it a waste?

Anonymous No. 885857

>>885856
Just like any school, they are great for networking. Depends how seriously you taking any kind of schooling. College is different than grade-high school they way you are treated and workload/assignments.

Really, it just depends what kind of person and student you are. Some would say it's a waste, some would say it was beneficial.

But you need to be really honest with and about yourself and your ability to learn.

Anonymous No. 885868

it's a waste if you don't already know most of the things before going there... you won't learn anything that you wouldn't learn from a youtube tutorial, but it's a great opportunity to work on your own projects and meet people with the same interest

Anonymous No. 885871

>>885856
Depends on the school and your own work ethic. If they have good job placement stats and you take your work seriously (simply being in the classes won't provide you with a good portfolio, you have to put in the hours to apply that knowledge and make the best work you possibly can), then it's worth it. School is also great for networking, but again, you have to be serious. If your shit sucks and you put no effort toward improving it, your colleagues will remember that.

Anonymous No. 885884

>>885856
you HAVE TO go to the famous school otherwise dont waste your time.
If you're in Canada then Sheridan is a MUST because half of the industry in Toronto went there so you'll have something to talk about.

Otherwise you do learn a lot but wont get a job anyway. Everyone in 3D is some sort of tranny ultra woke libtard, or lolbertarian (the normal ones)

Anonymous No. 885960

>>885856
Not specifically 3D but I went to a film school from 1999 to 2003 and digital animation was simply part of the curriculum. You can branch out and specialize from there.

Anonymous No. 885962

>>885856
>went to school for animation
>not a single course on mocap
>not a single mocap suit
>not a single course on physics animations, cloth physics, or particles
>what little i did learn is now done 1000x faster and physically accurately in cascaduer

jesus

Anonymous No. 886047

>>885857
good honest answer.

439x310

20211029_162940.jpg

Anonymous No. 886058

>>885856
Art schools and Video game schools 99.9999% of the time are a complete SCAM. Like someone here said you HAVE to go to THE schools, that is the most famous school in the country that costs a fortune and only take in the best of the best. From these schools you can make connections and the best in your class can be hired by companies like Pixar. I think in the USA is Gnomon. Anything else and youre SOL.

The alternative to this is not going to art or animation school at all. Learn on your own, build your portfolio. Study a solid backup industry such as programming Engineer and then move from there.

Anything else besides these two extremes and youre basically fucked. Worst case Ive seen, guy joins shitty school that doesnt even ask for a portfolio, guy learns nothing and is 50K in debt, guy ends up working at Costco.

Many such cases.

Anonymous No. 886118

>>885856
I did, and I sort of agree with you. Were it not for the fact that I would have never gotten the industry contacts I had had I not been to animation school. It was my direct path into a carreer in film.

Anonymous No. 886119

>>886118
>Were it not for the fact that I would have never gotten the industry contacts I had had I not been to animation school.
sounds like doomer logic. Cream always rises, especially now with artstation and discord.

Anonymous No. 886332

I'm doing Animation Mentor right now, learning a lot and enjoying it a bunch.. it's really the only thing making me not want to kms right now to be honest. But I won't be able to speak to whether it helps me land a job until I finish all the the courses in ~10 months

Anonymous No. 886354

>>885856
>was doing buisness, hated it
>needed to change fast
>I was doing 3D as a hobby, like text level shit
>Got into a school somehow
>Shit equipement
>Shit classes that makes no fucking sense
>covid hit, school is not prepared at all
>most classmates are shit and don't care
>manage to graduate by hard work
>now work as a freelancer for games/video companies

My school was shit and basically a money grab, I had 0 networking, literally 1 one other guy in my class got a job in 3D, and 2 other in video editing, and me. That's it.
If you're going to a 3D school, make sure it's a GOOD one. Talk to student beforehand, visit the place. I didn't care about that and I wish I did

What it did give me is TIME. I bought the time to get some basic knowledge in school and learn on my own. I had to work everyday (and still do) to boost my portfolio, which 97% of the rest of my class didn't, that's why they failed. I honestly think beside the time my school gave me nothing for my job. I was never asked about it in interviews, I really think if I remove it from my CV it wouldn't really make a difference. i'm not in the us btw, maybe it's different

625x437

index.jpg

Anonymous No. 886421

>>885856
I didn't go to 3D school, I went to 3Ds

Anonymous No. 886427

>>886421
IT SHOWS

Anonymous No. 886439

>>886354
Same story as you anon but I'm a jobless hack

827x1024

1646743950353.jpg

Anonymous No. 886525

>>886439
If you've never had a job it's only because of your portfolio. To be honest I see some portfolio of graduate and I seriously don't understand how shit it is with all the infos there is online. I don't get how someone who spent multiple years practicing 3D can not produce a single decent PBR render. But assuming you are good, keep trying anon, I don't have a job in fact right now (but I have a few interview lined up) and only did a couple of freelance work

The entry level of junior is only getting higher and I see some ridiculous fucking ad online by some companies. It's a shit ton of luck

Anonymous No. 886909

>>885856
It really depends on the school, and what you put into it.
I went to DigiPen, the quality of classes was mixed, some outright awful, others were fantastic. Now I work for a AAA studio. Could I have done it without going to school? Maybe, but learning in a structured environment helped me stay disciplined.
That being said, I've heard great things about animation mentor and similar services, and have worked with people who spent a few months doing doing that, rather than a 4 year degree. I'd try that first, less of a time and financial commitment

Anonymous No. 886998

>>885856
Its a waste of time and money

Only go if you are going to the best most famous school and are interested in networking and have the social skills do so

If you just want an education, learn from home for free, and without any bullshit busy work