1280x720

3A5D4C5B-620F-447....jpg

๐Ÿงต Untitled Thread

Anonymous No. 885897

Do you have to know how to draw and do math to be an animator?

Anonymous No. 885898

yes, you also need a gf and a house on your name

Anonymous No. 885899

>>885898
dude come on be serious

Anonymous No. 885910

draw no, math yes because you are doing everything in 3D. you must know the common degree of every angle, XYZ movements, where the point of 0.0 is on the program or else suffer production problem, etc.

Anonymous No. 885912

>>885897
>Do you have to know how to draw and do math to be an animator?

Math? No- unless you're doing scripting, which mostly basic algebra.

Drawing? Yes. Most animators have artistic background and take figure drawing.You need to understand how people move.

Anonymous No. 885918

>>885912
>>885910
You guys are saying different things.

Anonymous No. 885920

>>885912
Is drawing 100% required, though?

Like, it's nice to have a background in figure drawing, but it isn't absolutely necessary.

You can understand how people move without drawing the form yourself. It'd make it slightly easier at first, but in the end you can reach the same goal/level.

Anonymous No. 885921

>>885918
no because drawing and 3d animation are different things. On drawing side, you learn how to keep the pace of your drawing into smooth movement on the 2D space you have.

3D is a bit more than knowing how to smooth a movement, you have to consider other things. If you animating a windy day, you not only have to move the hair but the dress, lose clothing and anything else to look natural. 2D is the same by more frame by frame to draw natural look.

In a nutshell, while we learn the same movement on class, we dont do the same things in the program. Many artist who draw never learn 3D tools and me as a 3D artist never learns how drawing tools work.

Anonymous No. 885931

>>885920
Another reason drawing helps that I don't see mentioned here is posing. Animation is posing plus timing. Knowing how people move is imperative, yes, but knowing what makes a pose dynamic/interesting/effective will make your animation that much better. And drawing is a great, simple way to get a handle on that. Even gesture drawing can help with this, look into it if you haven't.

Anonymous No. 885956

>>885897
Every animator should be able to write expressions. You only need college level math for that.

Anonymous No. 885977

>>885897
What nobody ever speaks of is you have to be able to act. If you're not an artist able to express yourself via acting, you probably won't become a good animator.
This artistic side is ALWAYS ignored and if you're someone who came here to get validation for your intention to do an artistic job while sidestepping the art side of it then I can only congratulate yourself on your stupidity. If you can't even draw a little to express yourself, then you are perfectly fitting in here. We have many retards who spent years trying to do an artists job without ever becoming artist themself.

Anonymous No. 885990

>>885956
>You only need college level math for that.

They teach linear algebra and calculus III at college. More like high school level math for animating. Only 3D graphics/shader programming requires advanced maths.

Anonymous No. 885992

>>885990
I don't know. I'm not American. I though one would have the necessary knowledge by age 18.

Anonymous No. 885999

>>885992
>I'm not American. I though one would have the necessary knowledge by age 18.

They teach linear algebra in high schools outside of America?

Anonymous No. 886018

>>885999
Yeah. I learned matrix operations when I was 15, they're not hard.

Anonymous No. 886020

No and No. You have to know the tools (No easy feat) know anatomy, know how the human body moves naturally. Also you better get good and learn how to do some crazy special effects with it because motion capture is going to leave character animators homeless.

Also learn how to model and Rig the more shit you know the harder you are to replace. Build a portfolio and show off your skills. Nothing else matter besides your portfolio/demo reel.

Anonymous No. 886035

>>885977
You mean act like acting on a stage or acting like getting up and doing something about your situation?

Anonymous No. 886036

Test

Anonymous No. 886050

>>886020
>Nothing else matter

companies: "where is your adobe and autodesk certification"

Anonymous No. 886065

>>885897
drawing isn't a strict requirement, but i've talked to a few different animators and most of them do some sort of rough sketch in 2D to block out animations before committing to anything in 3D.
I personally get by fine without, but there are times where I've had to scrap an entire animation because of issues originating from the initial blockout.

math is whatever. For rigging yes, animating no.