>extensively used by every (video game) studio
more based software like this?

Anonymous No. 886677

>>886675
It's not that great desu

Anonymous No. 886685

Mudbox
I've been having a harder time finding people who make videos about it
Tutorials scarce compared to zbrush and blender.
I switched over from zbrush and I love mudbox. Retopo tool sucks dick but other than that it's been great

1920x2880

ian-spriggs-portr....jpg

Anonymous No. 886689

>>886685
why is mudbox so unpopular?
is it performance? sculpt feel?
it's obviously capable of top-tier results, i just have no idea if pic-related is just autism-overcoming shit software, or just autism with decent software.

Anonymous No. 886694

>>886689
it's basically the same as zbrush, but zbrush has gobbled up all the potential users

Anonymous No. 886717

>>886689
It does the job and it's no big deal if you're a hobbyist, but it has no support nor useful tools like Zbrush.

If I'm having trouble with it, I can find the solution since everyone uses it enough to encounter the same problems.

Anonymous No. 886722

>>886689
>Ian Spriggs
how many decades to reach his level?

Anonymous No. 889195

>>886689
for one, autodesk is fucking hated and people use it because they have the best tool for the job, otherwise people use ANYTHING else.

mudbox was made and left to die, it cant compete with zbrush so it got abandoned, zbrush if you pay for it is cheaper too, 900$ for lifetime pepetural.

Anonymous No. 889207

>>886689
Mudbox was initially very popular with artists that had traditional background. It's extremely intuitive to use and if you worked with photoshop
as long as most people doing digital arts you could find your way to anything by mere guess. Unlike Z-brush that... well if you know; you know..

It prob fell into relative obscurity because it was never as capable as Z-brush due to lacking dynamic mesh/retopology features early on.
Also it can't handle the ridiculous polycount z-brush can because it's not a 2.5D canvas projected into 3-space like Z-brush
but just a conventional polyeditor using traditional rasterization methods to render the image.
You'll have single digit framerates with mudbox at geometry resolution that is still interactive with the same system running Z-brush.

Personally I like Mudbox a lot and would pick it over Z-brush any day if I was making art for my own enjoyment rather than production fidelity.

Anonymous No. 889272

>>886675
Based? I fucking hate mocap in games. The only reason they do it is because they can't afford to make all the animations they need by hand.
And MOBU is just a middleman anyway, it cleans up the captured motion and then it's just transferred into real maya rigs.
I don't know anyone who actually enjoys working in mobu, it's like enjoying working with realitycapture, uv layout, knald, xnormal, wrap, it's a repetitive technical process that pretty much sucks. Mocap in, filter and clean up, animation read to be transferred to a rig out

>>886689
Lack of features, like some anon said, but it's still used. I've seen a ton of riggers using mudbox to make blendshapes, it plays along with maya very nicely when it comes to configuring things like facial blendshapes.

>>886722
I'd say 5-10 but why would you even want to make an ugly woman? Just grab a camera and take a picture at walmart lmao

Anonymous No. 889274

>>886675
>almost zero tutorials on the internet
Honestly there's not much to learn about it. It's simple as fuck.
Used it in college only though.
Good times.

Anonymous No. 889287

>>886694
Considering there is no way any other software could have a UI as horrible as zbrush, tbis would make it by far the most superior software. Is the performance at high poly on par?

Anonymous No. 889316

>>889287
>Is the performance at high poly on par?

No, it's not even near. This is the main thing that makes Z-brush a thing it's magnitudes more performant than the competition.
Never seen any other software with so many users expressing how they deplore it, yet stick with it.
They do so precisely because of how it's capable of things nothing else is.

If mudbox would've had Z-brush type performance when it came out and Pixol kept refusing to address the UI issues, Z-brush would prob been forgotten by now.