582x393

2022-03-26-164831....png

๐Ÿงต How would you 3D print an 1/24 scale car body with your fdm printer?

Anonymous No. 888546

I keep seeing people simply printing models the way they find them online, printing for a whole day and then spending hours scraping literal pounds of support material out. They spend literally more filament and hours on support than on the actual object.

What would be your approach to print a body like that with the least amount of support? I have no problem with assembling parts and even modeling connection joints on each item to make parts snap together would be fun.

Anonymous No. 888566

>>888546
>>888546
cut the car model in half across the centerline, print the halves vertically without support. glue together. you can solve most support problems by cutting the model into halves and using the cut line as a solid foundation to print up from. also use ABS and acetone to glue smooth and seam hide, along with bondo and sandpaper. netfabb is good enough for simple cuts, but zbrush is what hardcore anime figurine artists use.
also use a smaller nozzle and print each piece one at a time for slow beautiful and failure resistant fdm prints simplify3d is the only acceptable slicer

Anonymous No. 888571

>>888566
Solid advice, thanks!
So you think the halves would print even without support at all?
>simplify3d
Curious, what does it better than Cura?

Anonymous No. 888678

>>888546
>>888546
I never print with generated support material. If necessary I model a 1 line width rim manually that breaks off easily from the model on the layer line.

Also just tweak your model and printer settings to print better without supports. There is a world of difference between default settings and a custom configuration with an optimized model.

Auto generated supports may be worth it when you only print something just once. But we all know advanced prints generally don't come out perfectly on the first try anyway so better to just do it right

Anonymous No. 888689

>>888566
Always add locator pin holes.
Trust me.
Shit moves when you glue it.

Anonymous No. 888711

>>888689
>Always add locator pin holes.
This

Anonymous No. 889189

>>888546
If I had to print and I had to use support and I wanted to work with the least effort, I would get a dual head printer and have a water soluble filament for the support. now how would I make it with the least support

split it in to several pieces so there are no overhangs over 45 degrees (my printer can do this without support not sure if newer ones can do more or less, I know more expensive ones can do spans and shit but at that point get a resin printer) and have it print on the bed. anve the base it adheres to be a 120% over shoot with a second layer being a 3~ mm grate pattern so you can print on top of it and then peal it off effortlessly. and for pieces of the car I would attach them with a uv resin that will adhear to both sides of the plastic

I would then brush on uv resin and cure it till its smooth, and possibly sand back a little and put a final coat on, then I would paint it.

doing shit like op is just if you want quick and dirty, because getting this crap to print with as little material as possible is a nightmare for time spent and then re assembly.

keep in mind supports in most programs are thin strips of plastic that barely use filament, its LOOKS like it uses alot more than it actually does.

Anonymous No. 889251

>>888546
In pieces and/or upside down.

2560x1920

s3d v cura.jpg

Anonymous No. 889280

>>888571
>simplify3d
>Curious, what does it better than Cura?

S3D on the left, Cura 4.10 on the right.
Same printer, filament, settings. Killed the Cura print then started on the S3D one so basically at the same time.

Anonymous No. 889311

>>889280
WHAT THE FUCK

1024x578

r00u27a1pc451.jpg

Anonymous No. 889345

Thanks for the tips so far.
This is some random example of the net to show what I'm kinda aiming for. Hope my fdm printer can achieve a similar looking result but as I've said, I'm not afraid of lots of post-work, cutting details, gluing stuff and polishing.