900x900

1646542215368.jpg

๐Ÿงต Untitled Thread

Anonymous No. 889056

Polycount is saying that modular assets / environments will never ever look realistic because the real world isnt modular. Are they right?

520x242

atoms.gif

Anonymous No. 889057

>>889056
Technically it is. Just you wait for quantum computing.

Anonymous No. 889060

>>889056
who is polycount?

Anonymous No. 889061

>>889057
that is the most midwitted post I read in a while.

Anonymous No. 889062

>>889061
But good sir I do hate niggers.

Anonymous No. 889063

>>889056
Yes/no, it depends.

Yes, modular sets it will never be able to look just like the world around us where every surface has it's own unique weathering and
just about every single structure is slightly modified to work with local topographic features.
No modular set in the world is gonna make a Los Santos GTA map where every area is uniquely detailed and every building is unique architecture.

No, modularity is perfectly possible in the real world to the degree several things can be exactly the same without you ever noticing.
How long do you think you could live in a city where every lamp post of a certain type was an actual instant of one another so the
splotches of galvanized steel was a perfect copy of one another down to a molecular level. Chances are you could live your entire
life in such a place without ever noticing.

How many trees does a digital forest need to have before the player stops noticing trees are instantiated? 10? 100? 1000? 10000?
You get the idea, depending on what you depict something modular can look realistic to a degree it no longer matters if it's any more realistic.

Anonymous No. 889064

I'm dealing with a modular house right now and one problem I have with it is that I need to create modular pieces that can be easily snapped in the engine, but that means I can't put any imperfections in them. Nor can I really do that in the engine afaik. If I was building the house as a whole piece, I still could have used a modular approach, but in the end I could have also modified an overall house as well. Make it bent on one side a bit, slightly less tall on the other etc. Without that what I have right now feels a bit too clean and unnatural.

Anonymous No. 889065

>>889063
your examples are fucking stupid and you should feel bad

>>889064
this is exactly what polycount is talking about

Anonymous No. 889070

>>889065
What >>889064 is talking about is solved by having kits with stacked modularity or tile piece variations that don't get used as often as the core ones.
Say you have wall-tiles that make up rooms you have 1 piece that is your default assign and then you have variations of that piece
that gets assigned say 10% of the time to break up the monotony.

Or you have a one base element that has slots in it that can filled in by any combination of a set of sub elements.

For any modular kit there comes a point when the kit is large enough to be tiled indefinitely without boring the user with it's sameness.
Think of the dungeons from isometric games like Diablo and the seed algorithms that generates the re-playable level.

Another counterargument is levels like warframe where you have modularity and complete uniqueness of tiles combined where the modular aspect is how
you joint together the unique architecture of the reusable room tiles to get an unknown layout to explore even as you're familiar with every subsection.

Anonymous No. 889071

>>889070
>For any modular kit there comes a point when the kit is large enough to be tiled indefinitely without boring the user with it's sameness.
Think of the dungeons from isometric games like Diablo and the seed algorithms that generates the re-playable level.

nobody on polycount in that thread is taking about boring people with its sameness. They are talking about absolute realism and real life. Also, having played many hours of diablo i can tell you that the generated levels look extremely similar.

Anonymous No. 889072

>>889071
Saying reality is never modular ignores a lot of suburbs and industrial buildings and such that are just that. There's plenty of examples where the same structure has been built over and over again in the real world.

Anonymous No. 889073

>>889072
you could say that about any mass produced object that comes out of a factory, like a pencil.

Anonymous No. 889075

>>889073
Ofc, point is there's nothing inherently unrealistic about modularity. Just that simplistic or overly limited implementations will look boring, samey and repetitious, just like highly modular areas in the real world tend to look dystopian.

Anonymous No. 889078

>>889056
You only need to fool human perception and it is not that difficult.

Anonymous No. 889121

>>889075
brutalist architecture

Anonymous No. 889123

>>889056
They won't look realistic if you drop in the same massive set pieces everywhere

>>889063
>How many trees does a digital forest need to have before the player stops noticing trees are instantiated?
I thought that the trees in Far Cry 4 were done very well - not only did they not stand out as identical, but I was constantly stopping to admire the scenery, because it reminded me a little bit of my own Himalayan country. Even if the game wasn't very good, it did that very well, in spite of the recycled structures.

Anonymous No. 889126

Plain wrong, imo.

Buildings are extremely modular - drive around any city and you will see the same cookie-cutter houses repeating again and again and again with only different doors and windows. Many thousands of living rooms have the same TV and the same sofa. Many homes have the same kitchen setup installed by the same company.

If you do something to vary enough minor details - form slight changes in dimensions, weathering, additional TV aerials to different utility boxes on walls, etc then yes, modular assets will look realistic even with massive repetition of the same core assets.

Anonymous No. 889128

>>889063
>How many trees does a digital forest need to have before the player stops noticing trees are instantiated? 10? 100? 1000? 10000?

I don't think the player even needs to stop noticing. I think they just need to not run into what it obviously the same tree within too short a period of time.

And really, trees are solved problem. They're easily to generate algorithmically. You can make 10000 different trees in minutes if you want to.

Anonymous No. 889137

>>889128
and yet you can always tell the fake cg forests

1280x720

fuckoffcris.jpg

Anonymous No. 889147

Fuck off Cris.

600x467

falling-down-home....jpg

Anonymous No. 889252

>>889070
Somewhat true, but when it comes to e.g. an old ruined wooden house that is displaced in all kinds of ways, I'm not sure that organic look can be done with pure modular pieces. Because modular pieces (that still need to snap properly) wouldn't be able to fit such a shape. But I agree a lot can be achieved with enough modular pieces and smart use of them in the engine. I still think for pic related it would be a hard and time consuming thing to achieve such a flexible modular kit, instead of just setting up each house as a full unique object. Having natural transition between wood planks would be tough with modular pieces.

Ofc, it also depends how modular we're talking about, if the planks themselves are modular then it can be set up in the engine, but I think draw calls would be stupid in that case.

Anonymous No. 889254

>>889128
>They're easily to generate algorithmically. You can make 10000 different trees in minutes if you want to.
Do games actually do that though? I kinda doubt it, you can still see a handful of repeating assets of each type. A small set of trees is imported in the engine and that's what is being used, they aren't generating new shapes in engine afaik. Only things that are randomized are scales and hues.

Anonymous No. 889262

>>889252
well
https://www.blendernation.com/2022/02/24/procedural-house-generation-with-geometry-nodes/

Anonymous No. 889270

>>889262
houdini has had this for many many years

Anonymous No. 889273

>>889254
Yeah you have the right idea. There's algorithms that can generate trees on the fly sure, but that is not an effective way to renders scores of trees at interactive framerates in a game. A few different trees are typically used and instantiated from the same memory over and over again scaled rotated and with some color offsets etc to make it non obvious unless you really start paying attention.

Anonymous No. 889282

>>889056
Hi rags

just an anon No. 889284

offtopic but is that mag agent torture

Anonymous No. 889312

>>889262
That's not modular though, just like I was saying.