1920x1017

facial topo.jpg

๐Ÿงต Untitled Thread

Anonymous No. 890018

Explain facial topography and rigging to me, /3/.
Explain in very simple terms, as if you were speaking to a child or a golden retriever.

Anonymous No. 890020

You literally just posted it.

1200x675

mikkelsen_death s....jpg

Anonymous No. 890023

>>890020
How do you go from OP pic to a fully rigged facial mesh that can deform dynamically according to actor performance input like pic related?
I've searched and searched, but cannot find many solid tutorials about this online.

Anonymous No. 890027

>>890018
Ay Yo Dog. You just put dem quads n shit up in there and make it all smooth like when you get dat crunk pootang know what I'm saying?

Put them bones up in there and bam. that mofo face be moving around like Jim Carry on crackrock trying to splain to the cops why he jesus.

Anonymous No. 890030

>>890018
topology is important because it's how your mesh deforms with an armature. You won't understand why until you do it.

Rather than start with a full face, you should rig an inset plane to see how it deforms

781x821

profile_L.png

Anonymous No. 890042

>>890030
Anon, I think I understand the gist of mesh deformations via armature. I've rigged and animated full human sculpts.
It's the specifics of the facial bones and rigging that seem to filter me.
Pic related, it's this model I've been working on.
I guess I need to retoplogize everything to match OP pic's edge loops.
what a tedious chore but i guess it's necessary.

The goal is fully interactive character meshes which map realtime to VR facial capture. Like >>890023
Hire an actor, get their performance, map to one's own sculpt - literal kino.

Anonymous No. 890043

>>890042
>to VR facial capture
the fuck is that supposed to mean lol

Anonymous No. 890044

>>890043
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtz1LgZR8cc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1JhZooDHeM&t=10s

This except not cringe.

Anonymous No. 890159

Anyone? Beuller?

Anonymous No. 890195

>>890018
Nobody packages expert level information in a format such that a child or golden retriever could make use of it, because it is impossible.
I can explain it in words that someone capable of building a face rig could understand however.

Because what you are trying to do is not some thing that is conceptually difficult to understand at all.
It's just some that is intricate, precise and requires finesse and artistry to pull off well.

To make one you look at your face in a mirror and you make faces to understand where the muscles in your face are located and how they articulate the surface.
You place down bones that have thier rotocenter and positions located so that they can be easily manipulated to slide/pull analogous to how your muscles move your tissue.
If you look at pictures of a few face rigs in action you can quickly zero in on a baseline setup for what is the most important areas, A few dozen bones will be enough to do the trick.

Your topology for animation will be built the same way all animation topology is built; You build your edgeflow so that it runs perpendicular to the direction it is to compress in.
This inevitably lead to a topology that consist of expanding circles from the circular orifices of the face round the eyes the mouth and whole forehead/jaw/cheek area.
Just like in your pic related. Any god topology for facial deformation will look a lot like that.

Your challenge is just in where to place them poles so they do least damage. 'Blue-orange-yellow' pole on that face looks suss.
It's smack in the middle of a area that moves alot and therefore likely to cause issues. They can't be avoided tho, just a question of locating them to somewhere they are more benign.

Anonymous No. 890196

>>890195
>I meant 'any good topo', I'm agnostic about god topo even being a thing.

Anonymous No. 890382

>>890018
>>890023

I dont know how to do anything 3dcg yet since I've been focused on coding but I've been watching vids before bed. I bought some "Game Ready" models to study from and use as placeholders. I don't know if this makes sense but my understanding is that the facial rig uses shapekeys around the eyelids, mouth, and cheeks for facial expression.

1298x1310

OsamiWorks_Cheate....png

Anonymous No. 890383

>>890382
>>890018
>>890023

Fuck captcha, also I meant to include this pic

Anonymous No. 890400

>>890027
Underrated comment

Anonymous No. 890407

>>890400
true gold, thanks for pointing that out. I glanced over it without paying attention.

Anonymous No. 890509

So is it bones, or shapekeys with drivers, or a combination of both? I'm hearing conflicting things from different sources.

Anonymous No. 890597

>>890509
You're hearing conflicting things because there is no standard for this sort of thing. Some use only shapekeys, some use only bones, some use a mixture of both.
You are building fully custom systems here, like 10 different engineering teams set out to build a car and you'll end up with 10 different cars.
Understanding them all is not about knowing the exact details of exactly how the linkage and wiring is done in 'car A'
It's about understanding the engineering principles that allow you to arrive at any solution that can deliver what you want from it.
So when you look at any engine you kinda understand how it does what it does whether it's a V6, V8, inline-6, rotary etc.

The systems you wanna build range from the simplistic to the filmgrade. If you're rolling your own you're prob looking for what is good enough for your purposes
and feasible to do on a no-budget setup, not what goes into building a capture rig where a realworld actor sits with mocap dots on their face
and a team of artisans craft custom sculpts for how this particular persons neck wrinkles when the grin.

1600x827

control bones - g....png

Anonymous No. 890888

Thank you to every anon who helped. I certainly learned a *lot* through trying to implement this process. I would say understanding facial topology and rigging has been just about the most challenging aspect of my 3D journey so far, up there with UV mapping.

Pic related is the control rig for the face deformation bones. Everything weight painted properly with rigify to both the simple basemesh and the high-poly head sculpt, with the exception of a few tweaks here and there. Also managed to get everything working in the game engine as well, which took some finessing with the bone hierarchy.

I am very excited to do my first test run of AR-assisted facial motion capture on my own models tonight! This feels like a momentous step, wish me luck frens!

Anonymous No. 891188

>>890018
Sir have you trouble understanding? maybe go outside