2000x1413

1648180217319.jpg

๐Ÿงต Small urban creation for games

Anonymous No. 890614

I never see these kind of gamedev thread here but there might be some experienced environment artist lurking around here.
I would like some advises on how to make an urban area for a 3D slice of life/action game but on an 1ma scale?
So I'm going to use procedural tools and trim sheets for most of the models but that's not what's bothering me.
Obviously I'm not gonna make a huge city and try to keep it as small as possible. But I still need the environment to be divided in a number of very different places for the story's sake (Some place will be heavily linked to a character for example (one hangs out at the nightclub/bar area, another one hangs out in a parking lot, etc.)
But the bigger the area, the harder it is to keep it alive and the smaller, the faster it gets boring to explore. So here are my main issue in a list:
- What type of urban areas should I avoid to put in this game ? (and vice versa)
- How should I layout/manage the roads to keep each areas connected without having a ton of them
- I'm going to put a beach and forest mountains to block the player and the map but what can I use make unreachable places in the middle of the map (if there are not many roads, the playe should only be able to travel between places trough the ones I specifically put in there)
- Same kind of question, how to avoid empty terrain space

Every information is welcome really but these, I can't make a decision about these issues.

Anonymous No. 890964

>>890614
i think a lot of this issues could be solved if you made a map of the area first. you could figure out the best layout for the area and how much space should be dedicated for each thing

>- I'm going to put a beach and forest mountains to block the player and the map but what can I use make unreachable places in the middle of the map (if there are not many roads, the playe should only be able to travel between places trough the ones I specifically put in there)
large buildings, fences, warehouses, etc. the important part is to make something that looks like a building you can enter but is really just a part of the backdrop.

>- Same kind of question, how to avoid empty terrain space
utilise space a real city would. i assume your going for a japan / anime style, so go around on google maps of small suburban areas in japan and take inspiration from there.

Anonymous No. 891112

>>890964
> issues could be solved if you made a map of the area first
You're right about that. I'm definitely having trouble deciding on each areas tho. I might kill myself trying to make a nice commercial area since these are filled with details and all for example.
Like someone said in another board, I should play some game with similar maps and settings but most of them are untranslated jap game I don't even know where to get them.
YandereDev made a video on a game where the main goal was to take pantie shots. I need that kind of inspo (the map seemed to be nice and not too big)

Anonymous No. 891312

>>891112
Taking inspiration from Yandere Simulator is a death sentence for any project. I can't recommend it.

Anonymous No. 891321

>>891312
You wanna know something really funny. The guy actually made me start gamedeving. I saw his code once and played a demo and realised I could do way better than that. And since then I'm having the blast of my life.
So I have some sort of respect for the guy.