827x1054

a51a8e26c07ec34d0....jpg

๐Ÿงต Classical painting look in 3DCG

Anonymous No. 890836

Is it possible to achieve this style in 3D and do you know of any examples? The closest thing I've seen would be Dishonored series and nothing else comes to my mind.

Looking at these textures of the ground, facade etc. they don't look that complicated, but I worry I'll end up with a generic "stylized" look everyone else is doing. Why is it that everything "stylized" in 3D has to look like a cartoon?

Anonymous No. 890838

>>890836
http://www.lollipopshaders.com/case-studies/9to3animation/

Anonymous No. 890921

>>890838
That's pretty cool

Anonymous No. 890969

>>890836
ive thought about this too and concluded that if you want to get a painterly look to your 3d works you have to paint the light and shadow by hand in your 3d model. Dont use light in the final renderer. But then it basically becomes a 3d illustration .

Pretty much think of it as a 3d painting. All the light/shadow, metalness, surface information is painted by hand . You wont make metal maps, roughness maps and no light sources in the renderer.

This work is stylized but you can see what i mean https://www.artstation.com/artwork/vJ4x5a

Arcane did a similar thing aswel where they painted some light into their textures.

Haven't done this myself tho because i think it makes the 3d aspect a bit pointless. I mean why try to fake a paint effect in ur 3d when you can just make a painting?

Anonymous No. 890978

>>890969
I agree, but I still think it can be possible with PBR, just look at Dishonored 2. Just good handpainted textures can bring it close I think. Maybe some light could be baked in. Pic in the OP shouldn't need painterly shaders or postprocessing that makes the edges blurry since they are clear in this style, and the lighting is fairly photorealistic. I know it won't look the same, but looking at things like Dishonored, it should be possible, I just don't see many people do things in that style so it's pretty much an only example I have.

Anonymous No. 890980

>>890969
>Haven't done this myself tho because i think it makes the 3d aspect a bit pointless. I mean why try to fake a paint effect in ur 3d when you can just make a painting?
Oh and also about this - yeah, but the point is to merge styles and getting something unique. I don't want to literally make it look like it's a painting, but try to push textures and shaders in that direction while combining it with realistic lighting and PBR.

Anyway, I'm experimenting with it, I'll see if it'll bring me anywhere. I'm just bored of pure photorealism I do professionaly but at the same time don't like a classic "stylized" cartoony game look everybody else is going for.

Anonymous No. 891016

check this guy https://www.artstation.com/artwork/8wwgrE

Anonymous No. 891065

>>891016
It's cool, but most of the dude's work looks like paintovers to me.

Anonymous No. 891276

arcane's the only successful npr 3d animation imo. still not sure how they managed to avoid 3d light behaviour traps so consistently.