1280x1225

unity-enemies-unr....jpg

🧵 Untitled Thread

Anonymous No. 890970

Have real-time engines like Unreal Engine and Unity become convincing enough to be used as a final renderer for CGI animation?

Anonymous No. 890972

if your standards are low enough, sure.

Anonymous No. 890985

>>890970
the new technology in unreal does not work with deforming, animated objects so it is useless for animation

Anonymous No. 890990

>>890972
Normies are amazed by Unreal 5 already and it's infinitely more comfy to work with.

Anonymous No. 890996

>>890990
normies also think cg effects look fake and don't have weight but don't realise half the stuff on their screen isn't real. they don't know how good they have it.

Anonymous No. 890998

>>890985
There are a bunch of meshes in animation scenes that don't move at all, so it will help for those.

Anonymous No. 891001

>>890985
There are a bunch of meshes in animation scenes that don't deform or even move at all, so it will help for those.

Anonymous No. 891006

>>891001
You dont seem to understand how compositing and grading works

Anonymous No. 891023

>>890970
"Now"?

If by now you mean SEVEN YEARS AGO.

https://www.cinemablend.com/games/1631230/why-two-disney-films-rendered-scenes-in-unreal-engine-4

Anonymous No. 891097

>>890996
this.

Anonymous No. 891201

>>890970
yes I watch movie too sir, you enjoy? i own link to watch movie online free sir

Anonymous No. 892191

>>890970
there's no reason to use offline renderers anymore
it's dumb and slow

Anonymous No. 892218

>>892191
you have no idea what you are posting about

Anonymous No. 892228

>>890970
I've been wanting to get into realtime rendering for my animation work but I don't know where to start. Am I better off going with Unity or Unreal? Which engine has the best production tools for producing animation videos in?

Anonymous No. 892240

>>892228
Unity is in decline, Unreal is on the rise. I'm a unity guy with multiple years of service but I'd go with unreal if I was just starting out now, esp if visuals are your main thing.

Unity is only nice if you wanna make something deeply customized and exotic or something very simplistic and NPR.
Unity is capable of delivering stunning visuals too but not on the Unreal5 level and the hoops it'll have you jump thru to getting there requires engineering tier expertise.

Anonymous No. 892242

>>892240
unity definitely is not on the decline

Anonymous No. 892245

>>892242
Certainly feels that way. I've just spent all my wake time of the last 72h diving thru the spaghetti of cg-includes with a fine-tooth comb trying to get a conceptually simplistic
extension to the deferred shader to work.

Seems to me team Unity is chasing Unreal and trying to really up the visual fidelity with the URP and HDRP, which both have horrible performance issues
while all the legacy stuff that is prob what's most useful to indies are left in a state of disarray where you really have to bring your A game to even get the tiniest thing to work.
Unity is a ship held together with duct-tape by 'eric5h5' and 'bgolus' that are writing thousands of long essays on the unity forums unfucking the mess that happens under the hood.

Like you google for hours only to find a long thread from several years ago that ends in some developer acknowledging how something is an unsolvable problem
on the user end that must be addressed at Unity and how they will be "working on it".
Meanwhile you sit there in the present day and it's still not solved and there's ~5 other cranky guys bumping the thread.

For the last few years this has been a symptomatic pattern of my unity developer experience.

Meanwhile the HDRP and URP where they're blowing their wad is largly useless for indies while Unreal Nanite puts it to shame (shame raised to the 10th power).
HDRP looks great but my machine suffer coilwhine like demons howling with all fans blowing at max to deliver a fraction of the visuals at choppy framerates I get in Unreal demos.
Unity must do a quantum leap to close the gap to Epic in the visuals/performance department and while they chase that dream everything else seems like it's left to rot.

Anonymous No. 892256

>>892245
Unity is really really fast to make whatever gameplay you want. The graphics are enough to compete with PlayStation 5 AAA titles that have been already released. You dont understand game development and what makes a game popular and sell well

Anonymous No. 892257

>>890970
people believe in NASA don't they? there's your answer

Anonymous No. 892264

>>892256
>Unity is really really fast to make whatever gameplay you want.

It's great as a sandbox you can make anything out of sure, that is it's main draw. But "really really fast"?
Unless you wanna make 'Basic Bitch 11 - Standard Edition' it's not gonna be fast no matter what you use. Game dev isn't easy.

>The graphics are enough to compete with PlayStation 5 AAA titles that have been already released

In terms of last gen visuals you can make it look almost the same, but the difference is how you arrive there and how performant it is.
Unity is over reliant on slow baking passes and really fine tuned post processing filters that are very costly to render.
You wont hit 60fps on a midrange machine if you activate all the bells and whistles of HDRP in a heavy scene.

Now look into what Naninte is capable of and you'll quickly understand how Unity is no longer even to be mentioned in the same breath at the high end.
Unreal has left Unity so far behind it's not even funny.
Without being hyperbolic Unity is at least ten years behind UE5 in terms of highend visuals _at_interactive_framerates_on_same_sys_.
Which is the only metric that matters, Not what you can cram into a prerendered techdemo of some tryhard character slow walking thru a bombastic landscape to epic music.

>You dont understand game development and what makes a game popular and sell well

I understand what I want to play and I'm in this to make that come about, it's about the art not about the payday.
Whatever is popular or sells well doesn't interest me, I've seen the charts but I couldn't care less about any ~angrycrushfortbirds mobile games for chinese people.

Anonymous No. 892292

>>892264
You have no idea what 10 years behind really means. Heres a hint - this aint it. We have raytracing already which only looks marginally worse and again is not what sells games. You have no idea what you are talking about and i can tell that you have no games under your belt. Do not even think about typing me another essay.

Anonymous No. 892335

>>892292
ok freya

Anonymous No. 892405

>>891001
>>890985
>the new technology in unreal does not work with deforming, animated objects so it is useless for animation
first of all, op is talking about rendering, not animation.
second, the whole purpose of baking animations is so that you can import and render complex deformations without having to compute them in real time.

Anonymous No. 892469

>>892405
>first of all, op is talking about rendering, not animation.
he's specifically asking about "final renderer for CGI animation". Learn to read before you post.

>second, the whole purpose of baking animations is so that you can import and render complex deformations without having to compute them in real time.
So, you dont know what you're talking about.

Anonymous No. 892495

How to win any argument on /3/:
>you don’t know what you’re talking about
GG EZ, thanks for an informative discussion, guys

Anonymous No. 892548

>>892256
I'll just say Unity projects have been the most annoying ones to make models for. I outsource to various projects and Unreal engine ones were always fun, while for Unity I have to optimize everything to an autistic level, to the point I have trouble with the bakes sometimes because tri count is always so low. No matter if it's for mobile, VR or PC, it's always annoying. Oh, and the end result in the scene always looks like shit lol. Kinda sad to see your props getting destroyed by a renderer so much.

Anonymous No. 892550

>>890970
Unreal Engine taking over film is a matter of destiny.
Unity is a fast-follower, but I just don't see it winning in the long run. They're always a follower, never an innovator, always prioritizing the wrong things.
DOTS was supposed to change everything, and it turns out that they're actually changing everything. Full product rewrite.
Not the best position to be in when your competitor is buying companies left and right, and releasing features that actually bring in new customers

Anonymous No. 892578

>>892548
works on my machine and my phone

Anonymous No. 892652

>>892548
Unity by default uses low quality mikkt space normals and throws away the entire blue channel.
If you export your fbx with tangents and binormals and set the import settings inside unity to include those you can have
a perfect high-quality standard tangentspace normalmap and have it render flawlessly.

Confusing bit is that it is important to set this normal map to be imported as 'linear' and then never mark it as a 'normalmap' even tho unity will nag you to so.
If you do it'll throw away your blue channel and reencode it in a format meant for the mikkt-space normals, minus the blue channel (because fuck knows why).

Anonymous No. 892655

>>892652
>Unity by default uses low quality mikkt space normals and throws away the entire blue channel.
unity also by default uses Built-in-Rendering-Pipeline. What exactly is your point

Anonymous No. 892660

>>892655
His point was to shine some light on a confusing part of the pipeline you autistic fuck

Anonymous No. 892661

>>892660
the "pipeline" you speak of is for the default "Built in rendering pipeline" which is for the absolute minimum spec including old school last gen mobile phones. It is in no way confusing that the quality of the normal maps is lower on this default spec.

Anonymous No. 892662

>>892661
The normal maps are only poor quality if you use mikktspace and mark the normals as "normals" the act of marking the map as a 'normalmap' is what will degrade your data.
You can use any pipeline you want (including the built-in legacy ones) and have up to 24-bit uncompressed normals with _zero_ artifacts as long as you import your normal map as 'linear' and dont mark it as a normalmap.
(while using tangent and binormal from the .fbx instead of letting unity calculate them, set this in the importer and see for yourself).

Anonymous No. 892663

>>892662
Geez louise you are wrong. You set Calculate Mikktspace to "on" in the model import settings and do the following :

>if using built in rendering path such as default (forward / deferred), dont enable per pix / per frag bitangent baking
>dont bake tangents

Anonymous No. 892667

>>892663
But if you don't bake tangents and use mikktspace maps that you end up with the low quality shitty looking normals dude above described.

Instead of having the perfectly parabollic normal that stretches across your Goraud without you being able to see the polygons cept at the sillouette of your geometry
you end up with that very noticable mikkt flatness in the shading across the curvature where the normalmap doesn't describe your tangent and binormal correctly.

Anonymous No. 892671

Jesus, this board is either retards posting shitty 3D art or shader programming Chads speaking in tongues I don't understand. Where's the inbetween aka brainlet artists who produce quality art?

Anonymous No. 892672

>>892667
the reason to not include tangents and binormals on models by default and mikkitspace is calculated is because of file size / processor power which is what the Default Rendering Pipeline is there for to begin with........if you want to include them and use HDRP or URP feel free to do so, but dont sit here and complain to me about it

Anonymous No. 892681

>>892672
>but dont sit here and complain to me about it

Dude, who's complaining? Someone made a statement about having problems with unity. I knew a possible resolution to that problem so I shared it.

>what the Default Rendering Pipeline is there for to begin with.......
>.if you want to include them and use HDRP or URP feel free to do so

Reason I even know this behavior in unity is I am using the Deferred path with shaders I've recently upgraded myself.
I use the legacy Deferred because I do runtime procedural generation (which means: You cant bake any lightmaps, everything needs to be true dynamic realtime).
>Also I wouldn't use HDRP for much of anything even if I could bake because the render performance of HDRP is......------>......even more dots:..... _shit_.

But just because you're rendering with the built in pipeline doesn't mean your game have to look like it does out-of-the-box.
Look at what modders have managed to do with GTAV on PC if you think a deferred render pipe has to look basic.
Deferred in unity builds your image much the same way the RAGE engine does.

690x450

index.png

Anonymous No. 892699

>>890970
You're late, The Mandalorian uses a 360 lcd screen setup to shoot the show. They use the Unreal Engine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ufp8weYYDE8

They probably uses Sony's microled modular wall screen. 8k and 16k professional modules.

https://pro.sony/en_FI/products/led-video-walls

Anonymous No. 892703

>>892699
Yeah, but almost nothing of that was visible in the final show, some small scenes the exception.
They use the tech for illumination and reflections, they still replace the background with rendered scenes out of a path-tracer.
Don't fall for the marketing talk, the VFX in this show are still coming from the same old pipeline/workflow, their usage of UE is all for replacing blue-screen/green-screen and eliminate the problems of these techniques.

Anonymous No. 892707

>>892703
So all the work the virtual production team does never ends up in the final product or am I misunderstanding this? Why would they spend so much time crafting these scenes in Unreal if it's only for illumination and reflections of the set?

Anonymous No. 892727

>>892707
not him, but because it's real-time.
prior to using unreal engine, they'd have massive scenes in maya or something
the entire scene would be composed of object proxies--there'd be a ton of production overhead just to get the scene to run on a workstation.

The appeal of UE5, most importantly Nanite and World Partition, is that you can just forget about all of that overhead and just "do" things.

You also underestimate the amount of effort involved in green screen keying
Here's a disney research paper published before Unreal Engine was focused on film.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u22QPAp5rx0
This was considered a top-tier computer graphics research paper back in 2016.

Anonymous No. 892730

>>892707
No you understood just right. 95% of virtual scenes get replaced by properly rendered scenes done by renderman or whatever they use. Only in some scenes do they ever use the actual footage from Unreal.
It probably works for shots inside the spaceship when you only see the outside world through the cockpit glass. If its just some planet and stars in the background they surely will use the footage from Unreal.
The problem is that you can still see artifacts when filming screens, despite their high resolution it works best if the background (the screens) is out of focus. The virtual production is for fast lookdev and lighting of the scenes, for a faster turnaround, and doing shots from inside vehicles and like I said it eliminates all the downsides of blue and green-screen.
It is NOT an replacement for actually rendering the background with path-tracers as these are still superior.

Anonymous No. 892748

>>892730
>>892727

B-b-but Epic devs keep saying Nanite provides perfect film quality lighting! Are they lying??? /s

Anyway, ok, I understand now. I think I'd still be bummed if all of my work ended up invisible in the final product t b h.

Anonymous No. 892758

>>892748
You mean Lumen? Nanite is the virtualized geometry system.

Anonymous No. 892769

>>892699
>You're late, The Mandalorian uses a 360 lcd screen setup to shoot the show. They use the Unreal Engine.
Remember how terrible Luke Skywalker looks in that show as well as in the Bobba Fett spinoff? Your response?

Anonymous No. 892803

>>892769
my response is to laugh at how stupid you are.

Also to the first poster they only used unreal on season 1 they got their own in house thing for season 2.

Anonymous No. 892806

>>892803
Excuse me?

Anonymous No. 892816

>>892758
Yes, lapsus

Anonymous No. 892873

>>892769
You're mixing everting.
Now.
Watch The Book Of Boba Fett Chapter 6 then come back to the tread.

Anonymous No. 892998

>>892873
I have seen every episode, esl. The luke skywalker on these two shows is fucking embarrassing

Anonymous No. 893002

>>892671
you have to really know 3d to do it well

Anonymous No. 893012

>>890972
Desu

Anonymous No. 893021

>>893002
Yeah, notice how many decent looking wips there are on /ic/ for example, compared to what you see on /wip/ here. Either /3/ users are retarded and everyone is a complete beginner, or 2D is much easier. At least to get on a level where you're producing visually pleasing images.

I think the positive thing is that it's easier to get noticed in this industry when you get good enough.

Anonymous No. 893023

>>893021
everybody who is good posts their work on legitimate sites like artstation. Posting your hardwork on this site is just like throwing your career down the drain and begging to get doxxed. /ic/ is full of weirdos and creeps who live in the past

Anonymous No. 893026

>>893021
3D artwork take a hell of a lot longer to make than painting/drawing something. As a result you're much less likely to share
any sort of competent work/wips in places like these because you put in magnitudes more effort into such pieces.

If you are interested in getting feedback for WiP's that takes multiple days to multiple weeks you'll share them with art communities
where you then get articulate feedback from fellow artistans.

You don't expose them to some glitched out racist /pol/tard frogposters that calls everyone kys-retardsa t a drop of a needle.
>And then they demand you "go dialate" because somehow they're deeply familiar with all the terms and downstairs functions of the LQTBA+alphabet peoplesesses.