1012x1148

GIXCX.png

๐Ÿงต Untitled Thread

Anonymous No. 893374

How are large fully explorable open worlds like the ones on Xenoblade Chronicles X or Genship Intact made? Isn't there any tutorial (not necessarily indepth, even a generic exposition of the workflow is enough)?
Like, do they just make 1 single huge piece using displacement map and/or hand sculpting? Do they make lots of individual pieces and put them all together at the end? A blend of the two?

Anonymous No. 893375

Download example maps off the store for ue4/ue5 (or unity I guess if ur into that) and get studying homie

Anonymous No. 893379

It depends on the studio I guess.
But I assume it starts from concept art which gets turned into modular 3D models which are then placed by hand on a procedural terrain. There's probably a lot of manual work involved in order to make the different areas feel seamless and to make sure the environments look good from every angle and lighting conditions. So yeah a blend of the two.

Anonymous No. 893400

>>893374
>which are then placed by hand on a procedural terrain.
the other way around is more likely.
As an environmental artist you want to control the landscape and spread asset on it procedurally.
While landscape is generated procedurally, it's often very deliberately created in a specific way.
In regards to placing assets, nobody puts them manually in such a big environment, that would be retarded.

Anonymous No. 893419

>>893400
>retarded

Anonymous No. 893456

>>893374
You can quickly make an open world map in UE4/5 by importing a procedurally generated landmass, like the ones made in Gaia, for a price.

Details, however, like trees, water, cascades, etc, you are going to have to do yourself, or with dozens of people.

Anonymous No. 893460

ubisoft france and montreal have been using houdini for a few years and have pretty good talks about it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfizT369g60

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQ_U1_MVKJQ

mix of hand placement but a lot of the heavy lifting and tedious tasks done by clever procedural systems.

i haven't used gaea or world creator but i'm guessing their terrain generation is similar if not better to houdini's. if they spit out the right data you'd still be able to build the rest of the systems in hou (but probably beneficial to just stay in houdini start to finish).

Anonymous No. 893482

>>893374
Mix of procedural generation, and hand tweaking to emphasize weenies and areas of interest.
And I'm not talking about dicks or hot-dogs when I say weenies, more the theme-park definition. It's a retarded term.