1000x800

help.png

๐Ÿงต Help me bake multiple objects to the same texture map

Anonymous No. 895228

I'm trying to bake this dresser that has multiple material slots.
It has three separate components for now.
1)The dresser
2)The door
3)The handles

The dresser and the door both have two slots. Slot 1 is the wood, slot 2 is the steel part for the lock.
The handle also shares the same material as slot 2 of the dresses.
I've put in the same image texture node in both materials and selected them when I bake.
Then I press A to select everything and then hit bake.

Unfortunately, only the dresser gets it texture baked while the door doesn't. The slot 2 of the dresser, the steel material also does not get baked.

I've been trying all day, I've even had two UV Maps for baking but I can't get it to work. Can you guys help? I don't want to use substance painter even though it'll make my job easier.

Anonymous No. 895230

Don't bake in blender, end of story.

No I won't help you to bake better in blender the same way I wouldn't help a drug addict operate a hypodermic needle, toolbag or painter, xnormal is free at a stretch, have some fucking self respect.

Anonymous No. 895232

>>895230
Is xnormal better than substance?
Also, how do I make bevel maps? Let's say I use bevel for the dresser that gives it extra geometry, if I bake down from that, would it give me artifacts on the low poly because of the extra geometry?
I can shell out the money for substance but I like making procedural textures in blender it's fun...

Anonymous No. 895239

NVM blender doesn't bake diffuse maps if the metallic is set to 1 for some reason wtf

Anonymous No. 895258

>>895232
you will like making procedural textures in substance designer even more, guaranteed

Anonymous No. 895280

>>895258
I tried Designer once. I literally couldn't understand what was going on. Should I try again?

Anonymous No. 895292

Look up high to low poly prop workflow tutorials. Forget about all these material slots, this whole asset should share / have a single slot, in some cases two if necessary due to low texel density and high completely and large size of an asset. Just have one material slot and bake and texture in substance painter. But you should also learn how to make a high poly version of this with bevels, so you can bake those details down to low poly. Another option is to go for a mid poly workflow so just add those bevels and forget about baking and go straight to texturing. You can mask out different parts of the object in substance painter and give them different materials.

Anonymous No. 895298

>>895292
>But you should also learn how to make a high poly version of this with bevels, so you can bake those details down to low poly
You mean with a cage and having hi poly asset and a low poly one? Like when you retopo characters?
>Another option is to go for a mid poly workflow so just add those bevels and forget about baking and go straight to texturing.
Wouldn't this mean having too many polys on something simple as a sink or a table?
>You can mask out different parts of the object in substance painter and give them different materials
Thanks.

Anonymous No. 895369

>>895298
>You mean with a cage and having hi poly asset and a low poly one? Like when you retopo characters?
You don't need a cage usually, but yes, high and low poly. Often you don't need to retopo, you just remove bevels and/or support loops from your high poly and it becomes a low poly. Depends on how you set it up though and how you're creating your high poly ofc.

>Wouldn't this mean having too many polys on something simple as a sink or a table?
Not really, I mean, usually the workflow is still high to low poly, but there are workflows where mid poly is used, it's usually just a single bevel with face weighted normals modifier applied to make it look smooth. Alien Isolation is one example I believe. Also Star Citizen.

But it's the best to learn proper high poly to low poly workflow first, there are plenty of tutorials on youtube. There are also long courses like this one (it's free):
https://www.artstation.com/artwork/D5kXE0

Anonymous No. 895517

>>895369
Thanks. I've purchased Substance. Painter seems fine and easy to understand but Designer is too difficult for me.