672x1364

1566126036475-3_2.jpg

๐Ÿงต Losing interest in 3D

Anonymous No. 895481

Ive been working with 3D many years and currently work as a 3D generalist (environmental and character artist). Ive learnt a lot of software and after all this time I finally feel comfortable with max, maya, zbrush, substance, marvelous designer, unreal and so on.
I also worked as a freelance and in a couple of big videogame companies. Im used to the workflow most of the studies like to use.

But sadly these latest years all I see is Blender here and there. All the time, on every rig, tutorial, new plugins, shaders and all the amazing things you can achieve with it. I never touched it, I didnt really like it and in my professional career I didnt need it either. But right now I feel like I hit a wall and Im going against the stream. Like everyone MUST use it and everything you need is already there.

I know 3D has been always like this, updating yourself or staying old and not adapting to the industry standards.

Should I start learning Blender? Is it hard to learn? I know its not Houdini but I became lazy all over the years.
I dont want to start another flame thread or asking which software is better or not, Im just sad I cant never rest peacefully with just 1 single program

Anonymous No. 895487

who fucking cares, m8
use the best tool for the job, always been like that, always will be.
the meme being pushed today is that blender is the best and easiest tool for every job. that's the bullshit you've been bombarded with. it's not and it will never be. that's literally it.
all this drama and faggotry just because some (==a lot of) retards approach software like they approach sports teams.
>nvidia vs amd
>sony vs xbox
>battlefield vs cod
>fortnite vs minecraft
>norf fc vs souf fc
>blender vs everything else
always the same faggotry pushed by the same useless annoying faggots.

you're in this to make art, not to partake in sports banter.
so go and make art
everyone else can die of ball cancer.

Anonymous No. 895490

I started first with Blender.

Almost gave up with 3D work thanks to it.
Software just has a very bad way to handle keys and commands.

I know how you feel.

Anonymous No. 895497

>>895481
The Industry compatible controls made it so much easier for me.

It's under preferences near the top of the popup, and you can choose it when you first boot up Blender.

Anonymous No. 895498

>>895497
Hopefully Blender has finally become more usable and user friendly, as compared to about 6 or 7 years ago.

I gotta admit, I don't like Blender but their renderers look sweet.

I have to try it sometime.

Anonymous No. 895523

>>895481
i don't really understand what you are talking about
which exactly "amazing things" blender does and maya or houdini doesn't?
everything in blender is fucking subpar at best and "already there" argument is laughable because if you are a "professional artist" you'd know that having five apps to work through your pipeline is completely okay

Anonymous No. 895529

blender is currently experiencing catch-up clout (ketchup clout?)...where basic features they add (already available in every other package) seem more amazing than they actually are because you can do a lot more growing prior to maturity than you can do after.

other packages release small iterations because theyre already very mature, so they seem less amazing in comparison

its like, when youre a kid, the amount you grow and change between age 0 and 10 is huge and seems insane. but the amount you grow and change between age 30 and 40 may be mostly imperceptible.

Anonymous No. 895552

if you're already an experienced generalist then catching up to blender should only take a month or so. how much value it'll provide to you is another question.

houdini would probably open up more new stuff for you to learn and you should be able to get comfortable with it relatively quick.

Anonymous No. 895579

>>895498
I started using it this year and the crossover (when using industry compatible controls) was quite easy because its so much like Maya in controls.

Anonymous No. 895606

Just stick with Max.

What do you think blender has that Max doesn't? Hard Ops?

Anonymous No. 895835

>>895487
This basically

>inb4 JUST USE MAYA OKAY GOD

Anonymous No. 895865

>>895606
Why?

Anonymous No. 895872

>I know its not Houdini
houdini is wildly different from every other 3d software, why would you compare it to blender?

as for your topic, I have been using 3dsmax before i switched to blender, used unreal after it went free, then just lost interest. I remember speaking to a VFX artist who worked on hollywood movies but then decided to teach drawing why he made this move. he said 3d was cool but to make anything you'd have to spend a huge amount of time, whereas with drawing, you just draw a few lines and you're done.

I quit because of this as well, I realized making any scene requires me to shut off myself from the world for a few days, and even then I wasn't convinced with what I've made. I settled with my day job and devoted the rest of time to myself and my relationships. Not every story will have a happy ending.

not saying you should quit, i'm just sharing my experience to give you some perspective.

I loved 3d art, I still do. But there is a big difference between loving something and loving to do something.

Anonymous No. 895874

>>895865
Max has more extensive and powerful modifier stack. Blender has HOPS and boxcutter, which are useful if you want to make a bunch of booleaned cubes, but otherwise have limited utility. The idea that Blender is leagues more powerful than Max in the modeling department isn't accurate. Speaking as someone who knows more about Blender than Max, BTW.

And instead of fleshing out Blender's modifier stack and refining the direct modeling tools, the Blender devs are doing Geometry Nodes, which have limited utility compared to stack-based workflows, IMO. There's a reason why nobody uses Houdini for prop/hero modeling tasks. Messing with complex node networks is tedious and inefficient compared to stack-based workflows. Blender devs also refuse to implement much desired features that are put forth by contributors. Preselection highlighting, colored wireframes, radial symmetry, improved marquee selection are all examples that have been shut down by Ton and his minions, despite being highly desired and standard features in other DCCs.

Anonymous No. 895877

>>895481
>Ive been working with 3D many years and currently work as a 3D generalist
>I also worked as a freelance and in a couple of big videogame companies. Im used to the workflow most of the studies like to use.

>Should I start learning Blender? Is it hard to learn?
Some things don't add up here. You obviously don't need to learn Blender unless you want to use some particular feature of it that's not available in another program. How can you even ask such questions as somebody with an experience? Who cares who is using what software, you don't need to use anything, end result is what matters.

>Im just sad I cant never rest peacefully with just 1 single program
Of course you can, unless you mean you're using a single program for literally the whole pipeline, then obviously not. But there's no need to switch your modeling software if you're fine with Max, Maya or whatever else.

Anonymous No. 895878

>>895874
>And instead of fleshing out Blender's modifier stack and refining the direct modeling tools
It sucks so much they don't want to focus on this. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think that blender is mostly used for modeling, in the industry, that is. That's clearly the best part of it and where it can compete with other tools at this point. Plenty of people in the industry are using it as a modeling tool. Not as a texturing, procgen, sculpting or animating tool. So why not invest in that area if you want to make it more viable in a professional setting. They just add shiny unnecessary features that attract normies.

1000x1000

3a8bc12b39a10ff7e....jpg

Anonymous No. 895880

>>895872
I really think like this.
Most of the 2D artists just enjoy drawing or sketching and posting their unfinished works, their public really like that. On the other hand, as a 3D man, posting a rig, a sketched sculpture made in zbrush or just xgen, the animation timeline, fibermesh hair (done after 12+ hours of hard work) doesnt receive a lot of attention.

>I realized making any scene requires me to shut off myself from the world for a few days, and even then I wasn't convinced with what I've made
Sadly this. Even after days of hard work I look to my newest project and to put as an example to an older one and Im never convinced or happy with the result at all. And outside your 3D comrades or circle, not a lot of people know all the work that theres behind that project, its a huge work, specially if you are a generalist. And -at least for me- a lot of trial and error, changing things, doing a better retopo, adjusting these polys, better rig, this elbow deformation, shaders not looking good at all, better lighting, these shadows are not faded enough, and so on. Only for just 1 render. At the end is really nice, but its a long long way to go.

I see all the time these "artists" who just headhack models, steal assets from videogames or just pose random humans, earning lot of success because the mainstream public doesnt really care about how you did that coat in marvelous designer, retopo and textured it later.

As for Blender, I dont know, maybe its just everything I see on twitter and other social media its always there, even japanese people who like to go their own way with other software, it seems everyone is there. Every "cool" plugin or shader or lineart tools or similar is ready for it. It seems like Im losing something if Im not going with the current stream. Maybe its just Im not motivated enough anymore.

Anonymous No. 895887

>>895872
>I realized making any scene requires me to shut off myself from the world for a few days
Well, considering making an actually good 3D piece like a scene or a character usually takes a few MONTHS, and not DAYS, you probably didn't have it in you if a few days seemed like a lot of work to you.

Otherwise I can understand this and I often feel the same. I post one or two works a year and that's it, it takes a shitload of time and it's kinda sad I will never be able to explore all the ideas I have with this medium. I'm slowly starting to practice digital painting as well because of this.

Anonymous No. 895900

>>895880
Okay, you download Blender and then what? You think you'll magically get attention on the internet just cause you're using it? What do you want to achieve in the first place?

Anonymous No. 895942

I work in industry standard software but just pretend I've made it all in blender for social media clout

Anonymous No. 895971

>>895874
Blows my mind you still need to go to X ray view to select backfaces

500x500

1627269156716.png

Anonymous No. 895976

Just use what you want to use my man.

The reason Blender is really starting to ramp up with so many high quality projects and tutorials and talk is because it's free and there's an entire group of people now who literally grew up using the software for the last 14 years.

The community overall seems to take joy in sharing what they've learned which is definitely not the case with most industry fags I know that protect their workflows or little tips like it's a CIA file on JFK's head exploding.

Anonymous No. 895977

>>895481
I'm glad Blender is gaining a lot of ground in the industry because *someone* has to stand up to the Autodesk regime.

Anonymous No. 896022

>>895481
>these latest years all I see is Blender here and there
Since 2.80 humans can now use Blender and it's getting closer to meeting 3d software standards
Oh and it's free

Anonymous No. 896029

>>895942
your software is industry standard, but your mother's poop hole is open source