869x642

maya_RLDDFijeqY.png

๐Ÿงต Maya IK

Anonymous No. 897773

Beginner in rigging
So I set up an IK for my legs which work fine and bend into the right direction when I pull it down from above. Howewer, when I pull upwards from the ankle, the knee doesn't bend along and it just stays on directional till the joint hits the knee and refuses to move further up. Haven't figured out how to fix this yet after hours. How to fix?

Anonymous No. 897777

ok, look, I know you said you're a beginner, but come on

first, the IK goes from the shoulder to the wrist, not to the toes like you did. It's three-point, and the elbow is always the middle point. Horses have shoulder, elbows, wrists just like humans, open an anatomy book or make a human first.

second, the IK is controlled by the IKHandle, which is the brown-ish locator that's on the ground. The IKHandle gets created on the last joint of the ikchain, that's how I know you fucked it up, and that's why it only works when you pull the chest down, you're literally not moving the right thing
It's good practice not to control the handles directly but parent it to a control, since they're prone to glitching out.

third, pole vectors. use them.

544x576

maya_RLDDFijeqY2.png

Anonymous No. 897779

>>897777
Yeah it works now, i pulled on the wrong wrong. The IK work fine now. No experience here I live off of youtube tutorials

Anonymous No. 897841

you're going to want a "pole vector constraint" too. Make a locator(or w/e) and select it and the IK handle and create a pole vector constaint in the constraints menu. This will make the elbow of the IK chain point toward your locator and you can animate the locator to make sure the elbow always bends towards what you want.