853x906

unknown.png

๐Ÿงต Model

Ribbium No. 898221

Well guys im im trying to get into the games industry as a creature artist and this is something i made for a university module. Dont hold back, please give me criticism on the modelling and provide links to reading or video material that could help improve

728x826

unknown-19.png

Ribbium No. 898222

Wireframe

Anonymous No. 898234

there are no kind of people more annoying than monsterfags for people who do NOT want to work in the movie industry.
no we don't care about your shitty boring monsters we want cute anime girls faggot.

Ribbium No. 898236

>>898234
Probably the best reaction i could have gotten at this point. Thanks man

785x559

unknown88.png

Anonymous No. 898239

>>898234
how about a wip gunblade? this make you more happy?

Anonymous No. 898243

>>898221
Hi,
that's a nice model, but I'd like to suggest a few things.
>Master anatomy or bodymechanics
I'm saying that because of the hand, legs and face.
>Definition
The creature lacks contrast and would benefit greatly from stronger details on the relatively washed out body.
>Topology
You're getting there, but take a look at the density of the right forearm. It's missing polygons and creates a blocky shading.
>Other
Teeth look a little stumpy.
Fingers seem unfinished and also stumpy
Good luck!

785x627

unknown-30.png

Anonymous No. 898246

>>898243
thankyou so much. part of the uni brief was to limit the polys and i tried doing that for the teeth which made me lose some quality

i really should have spent more time looking at gorillas and other big quadrupeds before just jumping in like i did so your critiques are really valid. the hands and feet are what i really struggled with so suffered due to my time constraints.

only thing i want to question though is about the typology. when i had this model rigged and walking it looked ok and barely needed adjusting but i try new things like this every day so i might find out why its a problem on another project or if youre active on this thread can you link me to some example material that can show me the official standards for typology for body types like these?

and here is an attempt at a demogorgan from stranger things i made

Anonymous No. 898262

>>898246
You could bypass this by building a heightmap.

>Subdivide your model until it's really high-poly, keep the low poly also
>Bring the high poly mesh over to ZBrush
>Sculpt details into the high-poly mesh
>Export height map from ZBrush
>Use that height map as a bump map or vertex displacement into your low-poly mesh
>?????????
>Profit

Anonymous No. 898264

Don't listen to that retard, if anything your models (especially your gun) has too many polys. Smooth your normals, map them, whatever. The first solution should not be to just add more things to render.

Anonymous No. 898267

basically it looks like something a zbrush artist would sculpt as a warmup in 5 minutes or less.

Additionally, it will never elevate past the 5 minute sculpt zone without rigging and animations in a game engine. It reminds me of some Serious Sam type schlock

ribbium No. 898395

>>898262
i did something similar i think but ill try your method out on my next project to compare the difference.

>sculpt high poly mesh in mudbox2020 with dynamic tessellation
>send over high poly model to maya and set as reference as to not choke my pc
>uv unwrap in maya
>send back to mudbox as a separate low poly model
> use the transfer details option that subdivides my retopologised model up and captures all the originals details in the different levels
>export same model twice as the low and high
>bake mesh maps in substance painter

Anonymous No. 898411

Hey man, I do work in the industry and have done monsters myself, so, the basics is; It's far too boring and simple, you will most likely do High Poly -> Low Poly bake anyways in most if not every single job out there, and that's not just on monsters. That's just how it's done.

Topology is extremely high, I'd go for literally four to five times less than what you're showing, optimization is king.

You seem to have the basics down, so just keep practicing. At the moment, you wouldn't really be considered even in a Junior position, or at least I myself wouldn't hire you for my team, but you can learn
ร‘

Anonymous No. 899475

>>898262
It's two different ways of doing the same thing - you either build a really high-poly model and then retopo it or you work off a low-poly base mesh and add details to it by working on a higher poly version of it. There's advantages and disadvantages to both - best to know them and use both whenever you need it.