1920x1080

poleg.jpg

๐Ÿงต Will I lose interest if I keep going?

Anonymous No. 898270

Hi 3d bros... I've been practicing 3d to get a job in the film/gaming industry as a 3d artist. But I have a bit of a predicament about how I see games now. The more I practice the more I feel like it's very artificial and not that amazing anymore because I keep thinking of how they've done the models and environment. I see the polygons that wasn't even remotely noticable before. (picrel) It feels like that magical feeling of being immersed in a video game is slowly fading away because I know how the magic behind it.

I love video games, watching animated films and cinematic intros/trailers/cutscenes. Will I lose interest in them If I keep learning 3d? What do you think bros? :c

Anonymous No. 898271

>>898270
what games do you play, lad?

Anonymous No. 898275

>>898271
anytihng, everything I can get my hands on. Except for most mobile games and Visual novels "games" I'm more into 3d games if that makes sense.. like picrel. i play or have played fps, moba, rpgs, mmorpgs, prolly most of the genre I guess.. but the question still stands.. will I lose interest if ever I learn how to make them?

Anonymous No. 898277

>>898275
if you lose interest, just pick up a JRPG for 2 weeks. Then you can go back to enjoying your regular games again.

Anonymous No. 898280

>>898277
I guess.. will that work in the long run? I'm not too fond of turn based or 2d games. Even more so if there's too much text in it.

Kinda ironic I learned 3d because of games/animated films.. now Im in doubt whether Id dislike what i used to love after learning how its made.

Anonymous No. 898282

>>898270
>Will I lose interest in them If I keep learning 3d?
No, you just learn to appreciate new aspects about them that normal consumers dont. It doesnt take away from the "magic" if its well done. And doing it well is your goal. Thats why you learn it. So do it anon.

Anonymous No. 898287

>>898282
Thanks for that anon. I got skeptical because I've read some people lose their interest in their hobbies and started hating it after they've turned it into a job. Like to the point that it's sickening to them.

Anonymous No. 898290

>>898287
>>898282

You won't lose interest, but you will likely become more picky, as you start being able to better see the difference with what looks objectively like shit, and what actually looks good. Things that would not stick out to the average user can start bothering you, but on the other hand, as the above posts touched upon, you also start to appreciate the well done things even more than before.

Anonymous No. 898292

>>898290
>but you will likely become more picky, as you start being able to better see the difference with what looks objectively like shit, and what actually looks good.

spot on.
you too will be able to then witness countless donut midwits with 1000 hours of youtube and andrew price tutorials under their belt shit out non-stop garbage every other week, watch them make all the same exact mistakes you did but never becoming aware of nor growing out of them (unlike you) and dunning-kruger their way to a mid-5-figures monthly patreon paid for by other midwits while you'll make $50k/yr and likely be forced to relocate in a high cost of living area. and ironically, they probably still wish to "land a real job" just so they can tell their twitter followers they've worked in the real industry on a real game/movie.
you will hate everyone, you will hate the clown world, you will hate your life and you will hate yourself for becoming so good and raising your standards so high that even if you were in their shoes, you'd be unsatisfied and unhappy with the quality of your output.

and then you'll wish you did lose interest in your job. you won't, you'll just be poor and miserable. you will make stuff that looks good though.

Anonymous No. 898316

>>898270
>Will I lose interest in them If I keep learning 3d

Lots of them, yes. But then you'll find Looking Glass Software and realize you don't really need other games anyway.

Anonymous No. 898317

>>898292
Lmao, is this the reason people on this board are so salty? You guys really are a bunch of elitist faggots. I will remember that people on this board are poor, hate their lives, hate themselves, and are never happy with the things they make.

Anonymous No. 898346

>>898317
>wheredoyouthinkweare.jpg
You got it wrong, I am very happy with the things I make.
But I spend months on end polishing a single, small project, where everything (the main focus at least) is custom built. I come up with an idea, possibly something that I'm not fully comfortable with to challenge myself, ponder whether it's interesting enough and/or worth spending months to do it and if it is I make it.
Twitterfags spend every other evening mashing ripped models together in SFM doing the exact same cheap boring shit over and over again and if they chase trends, memes or scream loud enough they will at some point make money with it.
I don't see what's elitist about wanting to make your own stuff instead of relying on memes and stolen assets. Isn't that what being an artist is about?

Anonymous No. 898372

>>898270
If you learn how things are made they lose their magic and mystery. That's not a 3d thing, that applies to everything in life. In exchange you obtain a sense of awe and appreciation for the skill, the effort, and the artistry involved in the act of creation, which I believe is not inferior to the feeling of magic at all. But losing at least some of the magic is unavoidable. Up to you if it's worth it.

Anonymous No. 898380

>>898292
>except you're the one suffering from dunning-kruger, not the other way around

Anonymous No. 898441

>>898372
I highly agree with this. As a child I was amazed at the world and how there are an unlimited things to explore and learn. But as a grew up I begin to learn alot and understand stuff and it brought me to realizing that this world is actually amazing but its also just as shitty.

As for 3d I just felt a bit analytical when I opened a game like I see the polygons and how the texture is placed on it, I can sometimes see the seams of their UV too. Seeing things I dont notice before. I got worried for a bit.. that if i continue learning eventually I'd get sick of it and lose one of my favourite hobbies in the process. I guess gain some we lose some like you said? Not sure whether its worth or not.. yet.

An alternative path would be.. maybe just get a job in a different field so I don't ruin my hobbies? Still unsure.

Torn pretty bad here. u.u

Anonymous No. 899854

>>898270
>to get a job in the film/gaming industry as a 3d artist
why do you people keep thinking these are the same thing? why are you expecting a side character model from a 2015 game, targeting hardware from 2005 to look like a hollywood blockbuster? you should be more interested in the mediums you like since you know how they work. i'm the complete opposite of you, i get excited when i find seams in terrain, or misplaced trees, or a wonky normal map, because i know a human being was being it. the magic is seeing the effort go into hiding the lack of magic away from me.

Anonymous No. 899855

>>899854
>because i know a human being was being it
behind it*

Anonymous No. 899870

>>898441
Life just tends to naturally lose it's luster as you age. Just pursue what you will while you exist for a very brief time in this world. All of us will soon be dead and all our endeavors nearly immediately forgotten.

Anonymous No. 899933

>>898270
Knowing how it's made makes me appreciate 3d art and video games more.

Sigma No. 900010

I did lose interest in getting a job in the 3D industry after sending some applications getting 0 returns.

Besides an obvious scammer, that is.

I want to improve my art to the point that I can sell my artwork as, say, prints or perhaps even as NFTs.

Dunno, something people would like to buy from me. I just don't want to have to deal with the soul crushing experience of trying to get a job. Especially when I'm qualified to do a task.

Hopefully in the future we get more income streams for 3D art.

Anonymous No. 900035

>>899854
Picrel is just an example. I didn't say the process of film and gaming industries for creating 3d is the same though it does have its similarities.

I do appreciate how it's made but the experience as a viewer sorta takes me away from the immersion of it all. Like when my uncle walks in on me playing the game "world war z" he thought it's a movie, I told him it's just a game and then he told me its so realistic. I told him there are games that're much more realistic than this lol. <- This is what I think I'll lose as I learn more. I can differentiate which ones are cgi and just models in movies sometimes too and it just again slaps me into reality and lose my immersion in that said movie. It's like watching a magic trick but you already know how it's done.

>>899870
Agreed. I feel that now. Guess dreams feel as if I'm just scamming myself lol.

>>900010
There's a ton of competition out there for freelancers I think. But you can make it bro just keep practicing. Does feel a bit bad after a rejection but we get used to it.

Anonymous No. 900042

>>898346
this
I try to do everything myself and I dare say I'm good at what I do, but sometimes it's frustrating to see self-.proclaimed "pros" do "projects" over a weekend and in the foot notes you see "rigging and modeling by X, textures by Y, HDRIs from Z", etc, and all they did was download it and put it together.

Anonymous No. 900044

>>898346
That and not wanting to live in the artistic equivalent of a landfill where there's little left to buy not even video games anymore. The original Team Silent started a legacy with their disastrous beginnings yet there is barely a company around that can design anything memorable and breaks great templates by trying to fix what isn't broken.

We live now in a yiddish sewer sea full of bullshit peddlers, influencer cancer, and chinese tier swindlers.