554x554

images (18).jpg

๐Ÿงต Untitled Thread

Anonymous No. 899802

So I'm making my 3d assets tor my game. Do I have to include working joints or locks when I model it? Most games I've played dont focus on this but my autism keeps hurting me.

Anonymous No. 899803

designing game props is interesting- you will abstract the item to best suit the purpose- If the game does not involve lock picking or hinge repair, no need to focus on detailing those sections, just get the general idea of where the part should be and what it should be doing.... Unless you think those distinct components would add style to the model-- if performance allows. Oh but what if I want the player to be able to X ! Oh I have to model the deadbolt ! You see this pattern of cat chase tail? Be careful not to fall into this loop. It is good to have a path delineated to avoid time sinks on single assets which will never even see the light of day

curious if anyone else sets up armatures for animated game objects/props/environments . I do so inside blender- rig the object, animate, then export the FBX for Unity. I'm asking because when I was searching around for information on this subject, [prop animation] I was having trouble finding anything

Anonymous No. 899805

>>899803
Thank you for your response. Its informative. I just find it exhausting modeling props since I'm a one man dev. Spent the whole morning modeling a TV even though I dont plan to actively use the TV as something other than a prop.

Anonymous No. 899810

>>899805
Np. I've been in the loop myself these past couple months and it can get tiresome. It can also be insanely fun and challenging, as well as rewarding. I find bouncing around between disciplines of the work helps most with resolve, and persevering past the fog of 1 man war. Never neglect the benefits of time away from the PC screen. I use that 'work' time to plan, draft, photograph reference, organize notes, things like that. Also notice that some days, I'll feel perfectly happy texturing magazine rack 3, no push or pull just doing the work. But other days, the last thing I want to do is texture or model a magazine rack- Like my brain needs something better to chew on. This is why its best to go with the flow and find ways to work when other work becomes temporarily 'dull'

Also, start making object lists. long lists of things you need to make- try to be comprehensive- this part hurts, to see all the work ahead. But it helps out in the long run to not get sidetracked