720x360

SW-Thumbnail-Hori....jpg

๐Ÿงต Selling Printed 3D Sculpts/Garage Kits

Anonymous No. 900349

What would be the best way to sell 3D printed sculpts? I want to sell garage kits, which are unassembled and unpainted scale models of anime or video game characters. Originally, I was going to buy a resin printer and print and sell them by myself, but I've realized that I don't really have the space or time I would need for this plan.

I thought I could have them printed and sold through shapeway's markteplace, but the "fine detail plastic" people sell miniatures in is too expensive for larger prints, and the "versatile plastic" and other cheaper plastics seem too rough for scale models.

What else could I do?

828x1792

resin cast.jpg

Anonymous No. 900358

Just go on Facebook marketplace and find someone that'll print for you, most are pretty cheap. Resin printing is only useful for things no larger than fist sized pieces due to the nature of the printing. So unless you build assembly kits, PLA printing is the way to go for larger pieces. PLA looks like shit though, so unless you're willing to get the PLA pieces and then sand them down and treat them a little before you send them off to potential buyers there is no point.

My advice would be to build pieces that can be assembled, find someone on marketplace local that will resin print them for cheap and just prototype until you find something you're happy with.

1205x1612

nomadjoker .png

Anonymous No. 901053

Interest bump

Anonymous No. 901075

You print (or pay someone to print) a bunch of master models and use them to make negative silicone molds that you can then fill with resin. That's what most amateur garage kit sculptors do.
The only things you can get away with printing are small accessories since you can cram a lot of them on your build plate.

It doesn't require that much space but if you don't have the time then forget it.