261x116

1647726893114.jpg

๐Ÿงต HDR ODT Vulkan

Anonymous No. 900641

This may sound stupid but, if the following is true (in Blender and custom Vk app):

>If you have a linear EXR
>Vulkan swapchain has VK_FORMAT_R16G16B16A16_SFLOAT format and VK_COLOR_SPACE_EXTENDED_SRGB_LINEAR_EXT colorspace
>outputting onto HDR monitor in HDR mode

do you even need tonemapping / an ODT like rec 2020 st2084 1000 nit / 2000 nit / whatever if you're just going to be working on a 450 nit display and recording HDR video with shadowplay and uploading as a youtube HDR video in the end? I've tried the shadowplay method and it produces HDR 265 videos which match what I'm working on.

But, I wonder if my methods are off and I should be using a Hybrid / StaxRip / FFMPEG / etc workflow instead.

?

Anonymous No. 901570

>>900641
>youtube HDR
The output space is the only space that matters in most realities.
Youtube requires REC.2020 in order to process the HDR correctly, so if you output into another color space it will not display correctly.

1462x2048

hxNir3y.jpg

Anonymous No. 901571

>>901570
Also most HDR stuff is a fucking meme, most uses of it require contrived scenes to even have information outside the SDR.
Most people have a complete miss-understanding of what the HDR space is and how it works.
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_blFZhKs_YM

In this picture, the bottom picture is the HDR image. It has compressed the entire image space down into the SDR, which has narrowed the color bands, washing out the contrast and the saturation.

Anonymous No. 901648

>>901570
i found that if i create a tif in blender which embeds view and output space (instead of exr which doesnt ) and set it to ACES/SRGB i can get a brilliant looking still render or image sequence, quite possibly the best looking image quality i have seen with VK_FORMAT_R16G16B16A16_SFLOAT format and VK_COLOR_SPACE_EXTENDED_SRGB_LINEAR_EXT. If I record it with shadowplay and upload it to youtube it basically looks the same

>>901571
>In this picture, the bottom picture is the HDR image. It has compressed the entire image space down into the SDR, which has narrowed the color bands, washing out the contrast and the saturation.

I am mainly interested in HDR in order to go "above one" / while having perceivably deeper blacks like they do in many 4k UHD discs including the Star Wars 4k UHD box set where the lightsaber battles now look brilliant and feel drastically different from the SDR original that I've seen for all these years

Anonymous No. 901921

>>901648
This is just color space mapping. The SDR is always bounded in the 0-1 range. All monitors display SDR, even HDR ones.

The color space maps a floating point value (0-1) to an integer color (0-255 in 32bit true color) A 10bit HDR (40bit color) maps 0-1023 tp 0-1.
If you encode an 10bit image and display it on a 8bit display, all data between 255 and 1023 is displayed as 255.
If you encode an 8bit image and display it on a 10bit display, 255 is now at 0.25 rather than 1.0

Images and video without a color space translation and a monitor which can interpert it, all values are assumed to be in the 0-1 space. An 8bit unprofiled image on a 10bit display will show 255 as 1023.

Anonymous No. 901924

>>901648
As for the Starwars comment, the main thing there is their image pipeline is HDR, which allows natural over-saturation and exposure, instead of having to fake it.

In an SDR pipeline the final image is the entire working space. In an HDR pipeline, the final image is a subset of the main image, and things outside of the SDR range are displayed at full or zero saturation.

For example a light sabre might have a nice green color (20,220,20), but its brightness is very high. If you multiply the values by 10 (push the 0-1 range into the 0-10 range) it becomes (200,2200,200), which gets truncated to (200,255,200), a very white color.

If the pipeline handles bloom and other optical effects, it will generate the bleeding effect of bright colors known as bloom.

๐Ÿ—‘๏ธ Anonymous No. 901946

>>901921
I'm creating single / image sequences in blender with callback function to render preview complete and saving as 16 bit tif and displaying it on a hdr monitor, in the aforementioned vk_format, vk_color_space combo in my vulkan app, updating automatically due to the callback which means I am in a hdr pipeline with a live hdr viewer. I was able to do this by cloning and changing the blender source to add the callback.

>For example a light sabre might have a nice green color (20,220,20), but its brightness is very high
yes

Anonymous No. 901949

>>901924
>As for the Starwars comment, the main thing there is their image pipeline is HDR, which allows natural over-saturation and exposure, instead of having to fake it.
This is what I want. I'm not going to have to fake it, because I am producing content in blender, inserting code to save as tif on render preview finish or render sequence finish and automatically updating the image buffers in my vulkan app on my hdr enabled monitor. This gives me a "live" hdr preview.