Image not available

1500x844

burger.png

🧵 How to guarantee yourself employment at any studio you like

Anonymous No. 902662

Figure out how to render photorealistic food. No, seriously. Food is one of the very few big things left that 3DCG artists have yet to truly master. It's challenging to create assets of food that look appetizing and nobody's cracked the code to determine why. You would have zero issues finding work ANYWHERE, even for big studios like Pixar, Sony, DreamWorks, ILM, and Wētā. You absolutely will get hired, no questions asked.

Anonymous No. 902694

What if I don't want to spend the rest of my days looking at food to make food assets and food renders for food ads or food scenes in order to buy food to survive?

Anonymous No. 902708

>>902662
Obviously it would need to be animated and not just crappy scans.
https://vimeo.com/337596094

Anonymous No. 902774

>>902662
Food has speculars more complex than the contents of most material libraries and as you've pointed out, no one actually wants to do the work because it really needs to be tuned to specific render engines to not look like shit.

Anonymous No. 902775

>>902662
AI will take care of it. Gentiles not needed.

Anonymous No. 902817

>>902662
studios want people that can work well as a team. Also, pic seems not related since it looks like plastic.

Anonymous No. 902832

>>902662
You're getting replaced by AI so who cares
own nothing be happy etc.

Anonymous No. 902942

>>902694
then you'll have to change the industry itself, anon.
you up to the challenge?

Anonymous No. 903037

>>902662
I've worked doing food renders for big studios before, and while it is true you are more likely to get work that way (because not many people know to render food), it is a terrible area to work with.

Anything with food is going to take a million revisions to get right. A quick simple project can take months if you don't know what you're doing

Anonymous No. 903059

>>902817
>since it looks like plastic
that's an actual photo
>>902775
>>902832
>i sit on my ass and pretend being cynical = being smart
>>903037
Post some pointers anyway

Anonymous No. 905529

>>902662
gonna try this

Image not available

944x944

EsQN1uHXcAEesXF.jpg

Anonymous No. 905555

>>902662
Sorry for breaking the spell, but realistic food is one of the few things which are being totally replaced by photogrammetry. Unless you want to create something very very specific, or just stylized models, this is the way the industry is going.

Im not sure if you already knew this, specially based on your image (is taken from one of the main food photogrammetry sources : blankrepository.

Of course its a nice way to learn, but spending days trying to find the correct or most accurate PBR material to match the organic surface is not what the industry want. If you really want to work with something related, learn to retopo correctly and clean these models. (And even this is going to disappear soon, due to automated retopos)

Anonymous No. 905560

And funny enough, CGI is also slowly being replaced by real and 3D printed food in food photography and commercials.

Before, because of searing studio lighting, food photographers had to resort either to CGI or some laborous trickery - like using watered down glue as milk - to get good looking shots. Real food would spoil or start look bad under hot lights after a while. Now, with LED lighting, you can shoot real food and it'll look good in the final shot. Also, with 3D printing and other modern manufacturing techniques, you can get very real looking plastic foods to use in your shots. And it's all faster and cheaper to make than using CGI.

Anonymous No. 907311

>>905555
ok anon, now make 3 different animatable variations of that burger

Image not available

864x473

food.png

Anonymous No. 908090

I am learning how utterly inept I am at blender in my endeavors in food creation...

Anonymous No. 908386

>>903059
That's not a photo. Looks like PS2 bump maps

Image not available

590x257

realbeef.jpg

Anonymous No. 908387

>>908090
Serious question. Why doesn't this look real? It has everything needed, yet it just looks super fake.
Photoshopped in a real steak just because your render somehow made me seethe.

Anonymous No. 908700

>>908387
Subsurface scattering probably idk

Anonymous No. 909655

>>908090
>>908387
Hard to tell much of anything from these thumbnail sized pictures.

Anonymous No. 909657

>>905555
>industry this
>industry that
who gives a fuck about the industry which underpays and shits on its workers and will jump at any chance to outsource and automate any job
if you're not in this for the love of the art in 2022 then you are in for a bad time
in a few short years 80%+ of what people are trying to learn on this board will be automated by some neural net or other

Anonymous No. 911012

>>908386
My brother in Christ stop using the Sony PlayStation as a unit of measure

Anonymous No. 911067

>>909657
>outsource
>automated AI
Lol I remember 15 years ago when everyone said photogrammetry would steal our jobs. Same shit, same whiny neurotic faggots sperging about it

Anonymous No. 911091

>>908387
Because it looks uniform.
RL meat looks like that, but only a small cm of it. The rest looks slightly different.

And its a horrid mess to imitate because the entire slab of meat is translucent, but the materials is made up from is a random cross section of different materials.

Anonymous No. 911285

>>902662
>How to guarantee yourself employment at any studio you like
Learn Houdini. There are unironically like 5 people who know Houdini in my country.

Anonymous No. 911476

>>911067
The main reason it took longer was hardware and software holding us back. Now you see an ever increasing amount of photogrammetry being used in environment art in every sector.
Nanite is the beginning of the end for a lot of people. There will still be some need for modeling artists but that will fade in time as well.
Even design can be done by ai now. Imagine the progress of ai generation in the last five years now extrapolate another five to ten years into the future.
You'd have to be braindead to not realize at the very least it's going to become a fundamental if not primary part of any professional workflow.

Anonymous No. 911899

>>905555
You’re a retard.

Anonymous No. 911900

>>908387
It looks real to me. It lacks context like an environment and proper lighting

Anonymous No. 911901

>>911900
lmao
read his post