300x168

download.jpg

๐Ÿงต Where do i start animating?

Anonymous No. 903990

I see people praising maya and shitting everything else but there aren't many as many resources

684x527

1681238125.png

Anonymous No. 903997

>YEAH, BLENDER IS JUST ABOUT BETTER IN EVERYTHING.. JUST. JUST BECAUSE IT IS. IT'S FREE AND MOGS MAYA. OK. HA HA. IMAGINE PAYING FOR AUTOJEW SOFTWARE 5000 DOLLARS. AUTOJEWS BTFO!

684x527

1681238125.png

Anonymous No. 903998

>YEAH, BLENDER IS JUST ABOUT BETTER IN EVERYTHING.. JUST. JUST BECAUSE IT IS. IT'S FREE AND MOGS MAYA. OK. HA HA. IMAGINE PAYING FOR AUTOJEW SOFTWARE 5000 DOLLARS. AUTOJEWS BTFO!

Anonymous No. 903999

>>903998
Yeah directly opposing mayafags that tell you blender absolutely sucks at animating

236x236

27be297a498e1106d....jpg

Anonymous No. 904067

>>903990
look up 2D animation fundamentals, a good one is the dvd course from the animators survival kit.

the other shit is learning by doing a fuck ton of small animation clips, and having some reference.

Anonymous No. 904069

>>903990
if you're just starting out, software really doesnt matter as much. you can use maya, blender, whatever.

for starting, you need to focus on 2 areas.

1st would be how to animate in principle. this means learning things like squash and stretch, anticipation, timing, follow through and secondary motions, etc. animation fundamentals. this is about how characters move. there are lots of resources

the 2nd thing is going to be how to technically implement those practices in software. in general, curve editiors, dope sheets, rigs, and control curves are quite similar between most software at a beginner-intermediate level. once you get to an advanced level, then theres reasons to choose one over the other, but until you get to that point dont worry about it. learn how to block in an animation, setting up your key poses, then learn how interpolation on curves works, and how to use those handles to adjust things like ease in and ease out, being able to read animation curves is probably the steepest learning curve when starting out.

think of it like posing action figures and taking a picture, like a stop motion. put the character in one pose, key all the controls. then move the time slider, put in another pose and key all the controls. then use curves in the curve editor to adjust how the transition is done between them.

youtube is full of beginner tutorials to get started, so just find one in the software of your preference. just remember, the software really doesnt matter until a more advanced level, so start with whatever is comfortable or desirable to you, and ultimately your grasp of animation fundamentals will matter more than your software choice

Anonymous No. 904420

Read Animator's Survival Kit by Richard Williams. There is a PDF online.

Anonymous No. 904832

>>903990
you can animate in the corner of a book, it doesn't matter what tools you use
learn your fundies first
animators survival kits its pretty in depth as others have mentioned

Anonymous No. 904837

>>904069
Not that anon but
>then learn how interpolation on curves works, and how to use those handles to adjust things like ease in and ease out, being able to read animation curves is probably the steepest learning curve when starting out.
This has been kind of a struggle for me. It seems like the standard for character animation is quaternion curves, but I have a hard time really understanding how to fuck around with them properly. XYZ seems to operate like you'd expect, but then there's W which apparently does things, but at the same time doesn't. I never know when or if I should be messing with it or just ignoring it entirely, and it definitely muddies the water when trying to break down what animation curves are doing.
Are there any good resources that go over animation curves and quaternions?

I've also wondered if it was better to just throw things on linear and animate everything like 2d on 2s and ignore interpolation altogether.

452x726

soy1.png

Anonymous No. 904855

>>903998

920x456

1620258685120.gif

Anonymous No. 904947

>>904837
i mostly go off feeling of how i want the animation to be.

But it also depends on workflow. some animators jump into graph/curve editor early, some leave that for the last phase of animation in the polish phase.

Anonymous No. 904957

>>904947
>i mostly go off feeling of how i want the animation to be.
Yeah that's what I've been doing, but I figured I might have been doing something wrong. Like there was a more "proper" method of doing things rather than feeling it out.

Anonymous No. 905080

>>903990
Try Cascadeur

3553x1824

fuckoff.jpg

Anonymous No. 905082

>>903990