Image not available

676x380

tavern.jpg

๐Ÿงต Untitled Thread

Anonymous No. 905604

How do you model interiors of buildings? The camera controls in most 3d sw is a horror to navigate inside models.

Anonymous No. 905606

>>905604
You make a box and then make it big and then invert the normals.

As for the camera, most 3D software should have a camera movement option where you can press a button and move it around with WASD like it was a videogame. At least I know Maya and Unity do.

Also, there is already a thread made for questions. Please read the sticky.

Image not available

657x639

this.png

Anonymous No. 905610

Look at it from the outside?

๐Ÿ—‘๏ธ Anonymous No. 905614

>>905604
model the walls, then hide them

๐Ÿ—‘๏ธ Anonymous No. 905616

also, model the walls and invert the normals, then put them onto a layer and freeze them so they can't be edited.

Image not available

1443x897

hangarWiP.jpg

Anonymous No. 905688

>>905604
Interiors are probably the most difficult subject you can set out to model. But here's some tips N tricks.

-make a human sized box to use as measurement and place it thru-out your environment to keep your scale in check.

-create simple bounding box like geometry that defines the maximum extents of your interior space and help impose limits for the space.
Example: you are building a cathedral Model a simplified external representation of the building as a convex hull and flip the normals.
As you drop a camera inside you are no longer looking at an infinite space you are looking at a finite space to populate.
Like a canvas for your mind.

-In order to gain a sense of scale it's helpful to use a helper-material that has a tiling period to it and/or a shader that fogs
over distance, some simple lights in the scene with falloff etc, anything that aids in providing a sense of depth.

-enable backface cull so you can see thru all backfacing walls.

-Use a base 12 unit, reason is this number is easily divisible by 2,3,4. You'll be spacing stuff and setting dimensions
a lot by transform-type-in doing architecture so if you're in metric u can simplify things by thinking of space as 12 meter cells.

>Pic related is me currently in the early stages of building a hangar.

>>905606

This is a big topic, well deserving of it's own thread. I'm very interested to learn from other anons that might be good at this.
Interior architecture and level design is def areas in which I struggle to output worthwhile results.

Anonymous No. 905697

>>905688
>-enable backface cull so you can see thru all backfacing walls.
this one is really helpful

Anonymous No. 905727

>>905688
Not sure how interiors are much different than exteriors. I did both and neither one is harder, it's pretty straightforward process actually, but I understand it can be confusing if you're a beginner.

>>905604
If your scale is correct, it shouldn't be complicated to move and look around, you just need to focus on some object in the middle of the scene to get a rotation point. A combination of selecting an object and focusing on it is an easy to way to quickly jump around the scene and look at objects.

Anonymous No. 905751

>>905727
I find anything where you can stand back and observe the whole from far away as being straightforward, characters, vehicles, exterior of buildings etc.

Interior architecture is super hard to me because of how conceptually difficult to envision the environment without already standing inside it.
and the options for what to do with a given space is more unlimited. The impression you get from an interior environment is so different from every vantage point.

My space might work from one direction but be boring from the other. The amount of problem solving and bag of tricks you need before staring making interesting
interiors is just immense. The route to obtaining that information is nowhere as available either.

Knowing what a human anatomy looks like or how lines lead into eachother when designing cars and such is a conceptually simple language to obtain.

But with interiors you are sorta designing the negative space between the features more than you are creating the features themselves and holding all
that information clearly in my head is impossible. I can easily picture in my mind what a creature, vehicle or building I want to create looks like from far away.
Or at least sit down with pen and paper and explore rapidly sketching it out.

With a traversable environment I know very little what being inside my space is like even if I draw multiple thumbnails.
I can sit down and draw some concept art 101 Feng Zhu style thumbnail that looks cool from a selected vantage
but that is like smoke and mirrors compared to creating the actual traversable space.

I just cannot clearly picture in my head what the architecture of a sprawling interior space is like until I build it and move around.
Admittedly I am very picky and it is not super often I come across interior spaces I find inspired in other peoples work either.

Anonymous No. 905767

Buildings ain't complicated son, they're literally just big empty boxes people can walk around in. Room? Box. Garage? Box. Bathroom? Box. The only thing you really gotta keep into consideration is scale, that's it. If you modeled a humanoid character now's a good time to use it: put it in your scene and you'll see how he can "click" with the environment

Here's 2 practical tips I'm using (spoiler: I work with modular assets):
1) spawn a cube, resize it to 20x20x20 centimeters, place the origin of the cube to one of the corners. Personally, from a top-down ortographic view, I like putting it at the BOTTOM of the cube in the -X and -Y corner: what this will enable you to do is, whenever you scale this "base cube", scale along the +X, +Y and +Z axis (I'm using Blender) cleanly and easily. Duplicate and scale this "base cube" as many times and however you like to build the scene you need. It's basically like settlement building in Fallout 4, or playing LEGOs. Other anons dislike working with modular assets, but I think that for a beginner architecture modeler it's a great way to get the hang of this discipline.
Of course, modular assets are great for allowing you to make them once and use them multiple times. For as much shit Bethesda gets for their use of it, you cannot deny they made clever use of this system, which enabled them to create lots of interiors with a decent amount of detail each
2) enable Snapping > Increment Snapping > Absolute Grid Snap. If you move your "base cube" you'll see it'll fit right into one of the smaller grids

Anonymous No. 905769

>>905604

... in blender : view -> navigation -> walk navigation ...works somewhat like a egoshooter.

Anonymous No. 905782

>>905769
This. Also you can hover over "Walk Navigation" with your mouse cursor and add it to your quick favourites. Don't remember how to add stuff to quick favourites, but you can access them with Q

Anonymous No. 905783

>>905769
Sorry I don't use Blendshit, but Maya has this walk mode too

Image not available

640x480

image_date0320222....jpg

Anonymous No. 905905

>>905751
Good post, coherent and puzzled anon

I struggle focusing an interior's full complexity in my mind's eye

The form arises from what is left between the filled space

The function of the space- its purpose, its state... its attitude... is defined by that negative space

Image not available

595x755

anywhere you want.png

Anonymous No. 906010

>>905604
With a 3d mouse, you can fly anywhere you want.

Image not available

1104x911

finally the tutor....jpg

Anonymous No. 907024

Does anyone have any good tips for learning resources on this topic? I feel like youtube is mocking me.

Anonymous No. 907094

How do you unwrap/texture uneven walls? I made all my modules 3x4meters but my mind can't process if i should unwrap with repetition on 1/4 of the height or create rectangle textures, both of which seems wrong

Anonymous No. 907095

>>905604
I Imagine 1000s of little objects close together in the scene or do professionals actually model them to as few objects as possible?

Anonymous No. 907102

>>905604
model it low detail in a bsp editor like hammer and then export and recreate it in higher detail. all you have to do is plop down a scale reference like a player spawn

๐Ÿ—‘๏ธ Anonymous No. 908994

bump

Anonymous No. 909006

You set up a camera, block out the shapes, isolate those shapes and model them.
It ain't rocket science.

Anonymous No. 909008

>>909006
How do you decide what proportions elements will need to have in order to have visual harmony from the vantage point of someone traversing the environment?
How do you determine which sight-lines you need to block off in order to have visual interest and promote exploration of the space?

To me this subject is 'rocket tier' and not something you can easily can provide someone.
I've made interesting environments and I've made boring environments, I feel like it's up to my daily form and blind luck rather than skill on my part.
I explore shapes and sometimes I have a stroke of inspiration that works out, other times I keep drawing blank staring at the same space for hours getting nowhere.

Anonymous No. 909151

How come interiors are harder than exteriors? Aren't exteriors supposed to contain more detail?

๐Ÿ—‘๏ธ Anonymous No. 912045

bump

Anonymous No. 912112

>>909151
Exteriors are easily described in their totality from 2 vantages, front and back corners and stand away far enough that the entire structure is visible.

Interiors are not like that. Only part of the room you're standing in is visible from any given vantage
and to take in the geometry of the interior you have to move around a lot.

Imagine how much easier it is to model a character's shape convex as opposed to how hard it would be to shape it if you had to model
that same shape concave (flipped normals from the inside out).

It's just very hard to tell the shape of a negative space as you stand inside it compared to a model of visually finite extents
like a character a prop, gun, vehicle, exterior etc.

Anonymous No. 914846

>>907102
Unironically this

๐Ÿ—‘๏ธ Anonymous No. 916450

bump