1682x522

rigging nonsense.png

๐Ÿงต Untitled Thread

Anonymous No. 905798

Rigging and weight painting are such memes.
It's clear that blender developers never finished the weight painting tools.
-The shortcut keys for weight painting are different than all the other keys in the program, making them counter intuitive.
-You have to change the weight manually. You can't just invert the weight with a simple key press. Even though inverting weights works fine in sculpting mode.
-You can't edit vertices while the character is posed.
-The shitty heat map colors make it hard to see.
-X-ray doesn't actually make the mesh invisible. It just slightly recolors the wireframe.
-Weight painting doesn't acknowledge the mirror modifier, so any brush strokes done on the mirror side pass through. And if the brush passes through, then it ends up coloring the backside of your mesh, usually in a spot you don't even want touched.
-One of my center bones were slightly askew when I parented, so now the weights are drawn off center, and any attempt to fix it, improperly mirrors, so I can never set it right unless I un-parent and re-parent, essentially removing all my weights.
-I don't even know what the fuck is happening to the knees. They broke apart now, when before they were fine. All the weights look ok, but it just breaks.

It's crazy, because blender is such a powerful program in some ways, and then in other ways, it's like I'm using a program from the 1980s. Can someone help me make sense of this. Is there a must-watch tutorial that will solve my problems?

Anonymous No. 905846

>>905798
90% of rigging/weight paint issues are caused by bad topology. Study up on retopology and faceloops, then come back here.

Anonymous No. 905847

>>905846
oh ok. Well all of my problems are the 10% of shit that has nothing to do with retopology and faceloops.

Anonymous No. 905858

>>905798
How about watch a tutorial. It's clear you don't have a good enough grip on how blender works. All the issues you mentioned can be remedied with special options in blender.

Anonymous No. 905860

>>905858
Recommendations?

๐Ÿ—‘๏ธ Anonymous No. 905861

U should assign vertices manually; smooth the groups with weightpaint mode after

Anonymous No. 905865

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPz0QpfwJCk&t=2s

vid helped me^ I suggest chilling out and giving it an honest watch, rather than skimming for info- It is more of a watch and absorb type of vid

Anonymous No. 905866

>>905865
Thanks. I'll check it out later when I'm not distracted.

Anonymous No. 905912

i really wish blender had the small increment buttons like 3DS max weighting tools does
honestly the weighting in blender is kind of ass in everything but ergonomics
functionally its blown out by 3DS max, maya, etc.

Anonymous No. 905921

>>905798
>You can't edit vertices while the character is posed.
Turn on cage when posed in the armature modifier settings, dummy.

>The shitty heat map colors make it hard to see.
So change them

>X-ray doesn't actually make the mesh invisible. It just slightly recolors the wireframe.

the heat map has its own opacity slider in the overlay options drop down.

>One of my center bones were slightly askew when I parented, so now the weights are drawn off center, and any attempt to fix it, improperly mirrors, so I can never set it right unless I un-parent and re-parent, essentially removing all my weights.

re-parenting doesn't remove your weights unless ou are a moron who tells it to do automatic weights again, so just stop being a moron.

>I don't even know what the fuck is happening to the knees. They broke apart now, when before they were fine. All the weights look ok, but it just breaks.

I'm guessing you happened to them.