Image not available

344x718

doryphoros.png

🧵 Untitled Thread

Anonymous No. 907203

>NO!!! YOU HAVE TO LEARN HOW TO DRAW BEFORE YOU 3D MODEL!!! DON'T BE ONE OF THOSE GUYS WHO CAN MODEL REALLY WELL BUT CAN'T DRAW!!!
Then how were the Greeks able to do this?

Anonymous No. 907214

>>907203
By drawing.

If you want a better example, the old masters also drew, sculpted, painted, made architecture like Da Vinci and Michelangelo. There's no reason you can't do at least drawing and sculpting with better technology and highly available resources.

You don't have to be the best artist, you just have to know how to draw.

Anonymous No. 907248

>>907214
meds

Anonymous No. 907250

>>907214
Except many Greek sculptors didn't do 2d art, and the ones who did didn't have a good understanding of perspective and lighting, unless you think Da Vinci and Michelangelo were from ancient Greece.

Anonymous No. 907331

>>907203
learn how to sketch, iterative thumbnailing etc...
drawing is a waste of time if your goal is sculpting

Anonymous No. 907347

>>907203
i think with the drawing thing its about being able to
a. plan better
b. help you really internalise the shapes and stuff like memorising how the muscles are shaped

if you can't draw to a basic degree the parts you are trying to sculpt it might prove difficult, i can't draw for shit but i do try to make sure i grind it a little bit.

Image not available

736x1014

0f93c6d8e78bb44f9....jpg

Anonymous No. 907349

>>907203
Why don't you practice what you preach OP? Makes you look like a retard honestly.

Anonymous No. 907350

>>907349
>Says something that makes no sense
>Anime pic along with it
Many such cases.

Image not available

670x670

lowiq.jpg

Anonymous No. 907400

>>907350
>Too ESL to understand.
>Anime pic made by an anime sculptor
I can't even anon......

Anonymous No. 907426

>>907250
Correction: We didn't recover their 2D art. Even when we recovered their sculpts they lost their color and had limbs missing.
>>907248
>you can do multiple skills at once in this era
>take meds
lol

Image not available

800x417

Fayum_05.jpg

Anonymous No. 907448

>>907203
antiquity is the source of modern art theory.
they used most if not all the principles we use now. linear perspective. form. silhouette. rhythm. light/shadow. color. you name it. they did it all. they had exhibitions and galleries.
unfortunately their greatest works did not survive the time. but even second rate artists showed understanding of all that makes a damn good piece of art. we can only wonder and lament all the truly praised works that perished in time that we will never see.

AND NOW YOU - YOU FUCKING GRUG.
YOU CAVEMAN.
YOU ABSOLUTE ANIMAL.
YOU COME HERE IN THIS HALL OF ART ELECTRIC AND TELL US "HURR HURR UNK UNK" ROUGHLY TRANSLATED THAT YOU ARE IMPLYING IN YOUR PATHETIC IGNORANCE.
THAT PEOPLE WHO HAD SUCH A SUPERIOR UNDERSTANDING OF FORM THEY CARVED A FUCKING MAN IN ALL HIS SPLENDOR OUT OF MERE ROCK.
THAT THESE PEOPLE DID NOT DRAW.
TO JUSTIFY YOUR LAZINESS.
SHUT THE FUCK UP YOU FILTHY BARBARIAN DISGRACE AND GRAB A FUCKING PENCIL.
YOU HAVE ENTIRE DARK AGES TO ATONE FOR.

Anonymous No. 907450

>>907214
>>907331
>>907347
I get what you mean now. I'm not great at drawing, but I've had some experience with it before. Along the way learning to draw, I learned some concepts most people don't learn when they only do 3d modeling, and them not learning those concepts holds them back a lot. When some people on this board say "learn how to draw" they typically leave it at that, and the vagueness can be misleading.

>>907349
In what way am I not practicing what I preach?

Anonymous No. 907451

>>907448
>>907450
This one as well

Anonymous No. 907705

>>907448
Amen

Anonymous No. 907723

i went to 3d BECAUSE i cant draw for shit

Image not available

258x392

ADHD.png

Anonymous No. 907745

>>907448
>asks about GREEKS
>posts ROMAN art pics

Anonymous No. 908137

>>907214
This. You have to understand that they barely had shit to do back in the day. And getting stone blocks was tough, so it was better to have a 2d reference on paper before you fuck it up.

Image not available

441x501

Greek 2D.png

Anonymous No. 909082

>>907426
>>907448
>>908137
You’re a bunch of historylets talking out of your asses. Looking at the 2d art from ancient Greece that still survives, it’s obvious they didn’t understand lighting or perspective, otherwise that knowledge would have worked its way into their pottery. Not that a lack of lighting or perspective diminishes their beauty in any way.
A portrait painting isn’t evidence the Greeks knew how to do this stuff, because that’s not even from ancient Greece, but even if it was, not much knowledge of lighting or perspective is needed to copy someone’s face when you have it right in front of you, especially when the artist has good knowledge of anatomy.
The Greeks didn’t understand how to draw the way we do today, and that wasn’t a problem because sculptors would typically practice with clay, malleable just like the models we make in our software. Clay would have normally been involved in making sculptures as well, since it was more common for Greek statues to be cast from bronze out of a mold made of clay and wax, but most of these statues don’t survive today because bronze has more utilitarian use and can be completely reshaped into anything, unlike marble which can only be reduced further meaning there was no point in destroying those. Sculpting with marble was typically an activity reserved for more experienced sculptors, but even that could be practiced with wood carving since it follows a similar process.

Anonymous No. 909091

>>907448
Actual most of our art theory was invented in the renaissance. The greek and the romans were pretty shitty at painting.

Image not available

720x409

unnamed.png

Anonymous No. 909415

>>909082
>the year is 3000
>ayys discover remains from the year 2020
>"these faggots were shit at drawing"
>they discover picrel
You fell for the historyjew.

Anonymous No. 910706

>>907203
Being good at drawing really does help though, because it teaches you 2D concepts like proportion, shape/design, structure. silhouette, composition, and flow/rhythm more efficiently than one can learn with 3D modeling. The only thing that you might be able to learn better in 3d is anatomy, but that's debatable.

Anonymous No. 910729

>>909415
Absolutely disgusting art style

Image not available

704x1260

Fayum-34.jpg

Anonymous No. 910905

>>909082
>The Greeks didn't understand light- ACK!

Anonymous No. 910911

>>910905
>that hairline

Anonymous No. 910917

>>910911
MEGA cope

Image not available

639x420

640px-Turin_shrou....jpg

Anonymous No. 910944

>>907448
wow they sure knew their 3d topographical projections back then

Anonymous No. 910975

>>910905
See:
>not much knowledge of lighting or perspective is needed to copy someone’s face when you have it right in front of you, especially when the artist has good knowledge of anatomy.
Even beginner artists can do portraits without understanding lighting and perspective.

Anonymous No. 910989

We should bump and have third party discussions on this thread just to spite Anon even more for this Retardposting

Anonymous No. 910995

>>910905
Also from Rome, not Greece. You would know that is you weren't a historylet.

>>910989
All that would do is show more people the truth. All you guys have done is provide OP with flimsy evidence and throw insults once proven wrong. I do 3d modeling because I enjoy it and I don't feel like drawing.

Anonymous No. 913069

>>910989
How's the weather today?

Anonymous No. 914548

>>907203
Advanced artist here, the quality of my drawings improved by leaps and bounds after I started modeling in ZBrush as you have to pay active attention to all forms to ensure they're correct from all perspectives.

Sculpting is the one single biggest thing I'd recommend new artists try out when learning, especially while covering anatomy.

Image not available

629x756

The Fuck?.jpg

Anonymous No. 914585

>>907203
who is the KRENZ of sculpting in ZBrush?

Anonymous No. 914587

>>914548
sculpting in a 2d medium (monitor) is not the same as 3d sculpting irl or vr sculpting.

Image not available

636x382

961F32CD-FF1C-4B3....jpg

Anonymous No. 914703

>>907203
Math.

Anonymous No. 914713

>want to recreate a mech from an old mmorpg
>dl blender
>get fuck because know nothing about 3d
>cry
>realized that no bastion of creativity inside me

Anonymous No. 914715

>>907203
Drawing won't make you better at 3D technically because obviously you have to use the 3D program if you want to get better at the 3D program, but it might help you understand things better. Don't just turn your nose up at it because you're so great, or tell people they must do it all the time or they're gonna suck forever if they don't - I guarantee you, you don't want to be the guy stagnating and then finding out down the road all he needed to get perspective to stick with drawing a little while instead of spending thousands of hours of studying in exactly the same way and not getting anywhere.

When I first came here, years ago, I was a stickler for doing things the correct way and not wanting to be fast and loose with my time, but this is like any artistic field, you need to find what works for you. That involves trying everything. The old masters did a ton of different things. You can do 3D forever and still suck at composition, because the amount of actual practice in that may well be very little for you compared to if you did something else where it's most of the practice.

You might find drawing for planning really helpful, because chances are a lot of the concept art you find by other people won't be good enough unless it's been made specifically for you.