577x465

1630010328590.jpg

๐Ÿงต Untitled Thread

Anonymous No. 907264

What's the key to achieving pre-rendered visuals in the style of say pic related in modern 3D packages like Blender? Outside of reducing resolution, is there anything I could be doing to get close?

Anonymous No. 907265

>>907264
I would say the main thing is getting colors just right, a lot of older media used a much more limited color palette
You may also have to learn to draw to retouch your renders, as many pre-rendered backgrounds weren't just renders, they were painted over to achieve desired look + fill in detail that was (and largely is) impossible in straight 3d.

Anonymous No. 907329

>>907264
use blender 2.7 internal old renderer and use the old console limitations.

1200x960

DKC23.jpg

Anonymous No. 907440

If you don't care what the printed/high-res output of the render is then just use polygons/blender. If you're a perfectionist, use NURBS/MAYA (or poweranimator for old-school autism).
In terms of the artistic element, lighting is the most important thing for creating down-rez/compressed renders like old games. Stark shadows, simple theatrical lighting, flat colors etc. The combination of these simple elements brings out the contrast. But it is the simplicity and streamlining of the lighting that is most important, nowadays 3Dshit is overcomplicated and overprocessed. Keep the lighting simple. The actual content of the model itself is not as important.
Also if you need a model that can be modified/moved around easily (and I say "move" rather than "animate" because NURBS doesn't really work good for conventional rigging like polygons) try to split it into as many chunks as possible and simply move each limb/eye etc. separately for each individual frame you need to render out. If you can cheat it this way instead of making a seamless 100% dynamic rig that can bend every which way without breaking, it is to your own benefit (like stop-motion, swapping out a unique part for every mouth shape, facial expression, etc.). When none of your assets ever need to go into a real-time game engine it opens up a lot of possibilities and gives you much more artistic freedom.

Anonymous No. 907572

>>907264
You made a lot of threads like this with the same question before, are you going to ignore advice again and make another?

Anonymous No. 907696

>>907440
what is the key to getting a wood texture like that?

Anonymous No. 907703

>>907696
Brown color is the key. Color is a vector with three components, notice how the wood is neither red nor green but a linear combination of the two, there is of course a negligible blue component but it is critical you get the correct ratio of red and green to get a matching brown. Be aware if the magnitude of the color vector is too large you'll end up with orange, you should decrease the magnitude if this is the case. Hope this helps!

Anonymous No. 907712

>>907703
Very interesting but I don't think your method will work in my industry standard pipeline ludo gameplay loop.

Anonymous No. 907732

>>907703
Kek.