Image not available

960x540

NanoTechPreview.jpg

๐Ÿงต Nano Tech - Unity

Anonymous No. 907967

Nano Tech is a Nanite alternativ for Unity. The same dev is also working on something called Ray Lights which is basically Lumen for Unity.

It's still a few months away (currently on Indiegogo). Both assets are normally $100 each, but the dev just posted an update saying that anyone who pays $5 will get both assets as long as his $50k goal is met. (And if the goal isn't met you still gets some 3D photo scanned assets. Not sure exactly what they're scans of though).

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-unity-improver-nano-tech#/

note: I'm not affiliated with the developer, plus I've already paid $250 so I'm getting the assets regardless of whether the goal is met. Not trying to promote. Just informing Unity users about a good deal

Anonymous No. 907973

>obnoxious payware
keep it, paypig

Anonymous No. 907976

>>907973
wow, what kind of shit attitude it that? hopefully nobody ever pays you money in exchange for hard work

Anonymous No. 907977

>>907976
still not paying for your shitty addon

Anonymous No. 907978

>>907977
a) it's not mine. i actually paid for it because i'm not a freeloading little bitch
b) work your life away and die of starvation :)

Anonymous No. 907986

>>907973
>>907977
very melanated posts

Anonymous No. 907987

Looks pretty terrible, I have to say. Look at that foreground.

Anonymous No. 907997

>>907967
How is the performance like for both?

Anonymous No. 908002

>>907967
Left side looks glitched

Anonymous No. 908003

>>907967
SO, how long have you been on /3/?
Who's your favorite poster? I hope it's Cris.

Anonymous No. 908013

>>907967
nano tech deez nuts... what a stupid tech... on both engines... the point was to reduce triangles not add more.

Anonymous No. 908040

>>907967
I was just saying the other day how strange it is that no one has copied nanite yet. Still, it's a dick move charging for a reimplementation of an algorithm whose source code is "freely" available and deliberately unpatented.

Anonymous No. 908042

Watch as the Unity devs deprecate whatever APIs this is using 3 months from now making it a nightmare to fix.

Anonymous No. 908053

>>907967
>Unity playing catch-up and releasing inferior versions
Yeah ok thanks very interesting.

Anonymous No. 908079

Think I'll just wait until it's torrented and then ignore the fuck out of it because only retards use Poonity. Thanks anyway.

Anonymous No. 908084

>>908040
You're very welcome to build a FOSS alternative. By your account it sounds like a trivial copy paste job, when can I expect to enjoy the fruits of your labor? I'll drop by your twitter and give a big THANK YOU<3

Anonymous No. 908089

RUMAO
https://blog.unity.com/news/welcome-ironsource

Anonymous No. 908094

>>908089
I don't know what ironsource is, but all I see is tech for advertisements when I look them up... I have a bad feeling about this.

Anonymous No. 908095

>>908094
They're known for bundling actual malware with installers.

Anonymous No. 908103

>>908084
Lol, touchy faggot. The difficulty depends entirely on what you think qualifies as "nanite". All I ever cared about was the brilliant CLOD solution, which can be hacked together in a weekend if you don't care about visual artefacts or high performance. Optimising the graph partitioning and tuning the heuristics sounds like a classic time slog but not necessarily hard if you attack it systematically. I'll grant that implementing the pipeline entirely on the GPU is pretty crazy, but certainly not beyond the capabilities of the Unity, Blender, Godot, Uningine, Lumberyard etc. devs that my musing concerned. None of this, however, changes the fact that selling someone else's freely given work is anti-social. It's not about the effort you put into the product, but the message you're sending.

Anonymous No. 908106

>>908095
fake and gay!

Anonymous No. 908107

>>907967
if you're trying to implement unreal features into unity, just use unreal. why paypig for an inferior version of free software?

Anonymous No. 908108

>>908107
should we tell him?

Anonymous No. 908111

>>908103
When Epic implemented the multires paper it was OK because UE5 is free but this indie dev is a scummy weasel? Are the results of publicly funded research reserved solely for FOSS developers? What about companies like SideFX that are famous for being the quickest to implement new advances from SIGGRAPH papers, guilty?

The message I'm getting is that you're pretty salty. Were you tinkering with something similar but got blindsided by this guy and now he's eating your lunch? Sounds rough, need rope? Hang in the sweetheart. But not before you finish and open source that Unity Nanite knock-off, I already went and spent my $5 on a sandwich so you kind of owe it to the world.

Anonymous No. 908160

>>908111
Disingenuous shit, there's a difference between implementing & selling an algo made by a university and one made by a company. The former is often funded by the public and should be public property, while the latter is inherently private and only in recent times has the culture developed of giving it away. By selling an implementation of a paper, you're at worst saying you're a better programmer than scientists (often true). By selling an implementation of a cornerstone tech in a large product, you're spitting in the face of the developers who succeeded in pushing for it to be free. You contribute to returning us to the days of freeware and patent-encumbered everything.

All of this said, my tune changes entirely if it did happen that the nanite algorithm was independently published by a university or other publicly funded org.

Anonymous No. 908191

>>908040
Nanite's based on a bunch of publicly available papers, several from other devs, so we know a lot of engines are gonna use similar stuff. But Epic got ahead by mostly solving the micropolygon problem (gpu rasterizers spend a disproportionate amount of performance on very small triangles so they should be avoided) by rasterizing small triangles in compute shaders rather than the standard pipeline, which gave them a 3x speedup compared to everyone else and made nanite viable.

Anonymous No. 908730

>>907967
>for u*ity and not godot
Why even bother....

Anonymous No. 908881

Do any of those work with foliage? Because that is the only rational use for that.

Anonymous No. 908883

>>908881
nope nothing that moves. So just rocks basically.

Anonymous No. 908885

>>908883
in ue5 you can have animated nanite meshes as long as they don't deform. e.g. the cars in the matrix demo are all nanite until you collide with them.

Anonymous No. 908952

>>908881
The limit is the meshes have to be rigid. This is because all texture coordinates and other interpolated inputs are reconstructed from position. As long as you can spare the memory and bandwidth it's possible to add a buffer that stores barycentric coordinates, in which case any kind of mesh would work.