Image not available

1198x1600

seungmin-kim-18-c.jpg

๐Ÿงต Is lighting and Compositing the Ultimate Gatekeeper?

Anonymous No. 908733

A shitty modelled blender donut under excellent lighting may actually get you your first job.

Anonymous No. 908736

>Is lighting and Compositing the Ultimate Gatekeeper?
yes

>A shitty modelled blender donut under excellent lighting may actually get you your first job.
no

i've seen plenty of decently made assets on this board, but i've never seen a well lit one

Anonymous No. 908763

I've been trying to find a good source for 3d lighting for ages, can you guys just recommend some?

Anonymous No. 908765

>>908733
Boy, listen, I'll tell you the real secret, sell your services in 3d as "Projects" and not in $/hour

Anonymous No. 908768

>>908763

>https://mographplus.gumroad.com/

If you are a blendlet then you are shit out of luck. Every course tells you to use the 3-pt light meme but they never tell you the why so you end up with a shitty render in the end.

Anonymous No. 908772

>>908763
There aren't any imo. Chris brejon has something called CG cinematography which is okay, but his work is okay at best.
The guys doing product renders probably spend the most time doing tutorials on this stuff, but you have to remember they're going for that commercial look. Vincent Schwenk's patreon tuts usually have a section where he fiddles with the lights, but he's a terrible teacher the only value is in watch him work.
Besides that it's just photographers and cinematographers talking about irl light setups where the the actual good stuff probably is, but you need to take into account that it's going it be a little different in cg.

>>908768
Nah bruh, that dude just make video manuals for renderers. He barely spends any time actually talking about the why of lighting scenes.

Anonymous No. 908810

>>908768
I'm a blendlet but I wish I wasn't.
modern open-source software is a joke, people need to quit succumbing to the mob of godotfags and blendlets telling you to "use this because it's better apparently!"
But atleast it's our only escape from jewnity

Anonymous No. 908837

>>908810
bad artist cope

Anonymous No. 908858

If you think lighting is difficult you basically admit that you don't have an understanding of art fundamentals.
There is nothing inherently difficult with lighting unless you mean creating photo-realistic work that matches (and is combined) with photographic elements - then it can become quite scientific and technical.
If you just creating a full CG scene most of the technicality goes out of the window as its the end result that counts and nothing else.
If you do have a solid understanding of the fundamentals it is purely instinctual, you don't even need to think about it, you just do it and you know/see immediately what works and what doesn't.

Anonymous No. 908860

>>908733
>Is lighting and Compositing the Ultimate Gatekeeper
No. Everything that you don't understand at first but then grasp after study and practice is a "gatekeeper". Try programming. You get roadblocked by every new concept for at least a little bit. You get used to being blocked by something that seems impossible until you work on it for a while.

Anonymous No. 908862

>>908763
Learn photography.

Anonymous No. 908874

>>908858
dunning-kruger post

Anonymous No. 908903

>>908862
Nobody here even goes outside anon....

Image not available

1600x903

render.jpg

Anonymous No. 908935

>>908772
Yeah he doesn't but watching him do it is making me level up my lighting game by a bit. Here's my attempt after going through one of his vids. He even tells you what contributes noise and how to make renders fast.

Anonymous No. 908936

>>908874
upvote

Anonymous No. 908955

>>908935
sure, he's good for getting technical stuff across.

this is an example of a really good lighting tutorial imo:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfXCkoj-dwU

he has a photography background and talks through why he's placing each light where he does (catching rims, highlighting material differences etc) and also talks about real world analogues.

Anonymous No. 909027

Some good irl lighting channels
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=autdk0HVKLE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHCUdXmshbw

Anonymous No. 909061

>>908768
Has nothing to do with lighting. You're an idiot.

Anonymous No. 909065

>>909061
>idiot
you do you. Stick with your blender donuts while I improve my lighting skills, retard.

Anonymous No. 909066

>>909065
You clearly dont even know the difference between a texture a shader and a light. You need to check your brain for tumors. Not worry about using 3D programs.