Image not available

350x250

8fb4f11ca42e0f6ff....jpg

๐Ÿงต No one is hiring for blender

Anonymous No. 909857

I'm leaning blender for fun, but I looked up to see if anyone is hiring for that skill. I've only see places hiring for people who use Maya, why is that?

Anonymous No. 909860

>>909857
>learn blender
>apply job that uses blender only
>starting salary $30k

Anonymous No. 909861

because autodesk is industry standard

Anonymous No. 909864

>>909860
Where would you find one?

Anonymous No. 909865

>>909857
You got it all wrong, you look for tags with specific programs instead of specific skills. You should be able to become good at things like prop art, environment art, etc. not at a particular program. You're supposed to use multiple programs and learn industry standard workflows. Blender is just one modeling package that may or may not be listed in the job description, but it's allowed at a lot of places, even big AAA studios at this point. I used it for various AA and AAA clients and so did many other people I know, it doesn't matter, stop focusing on bullshit like that. After all, if you really catch an eye from some studio and they are not flexible in that regard, just learn May or Max, it should be much quicker once you know how 3D modeling software generally works. You might want to at least try one of these right now so you get some experience.

But learn modeling. Learn a skill, not a tool. Learn texturing. Learn sculpting. Download Substance Painter and Zbrush and that will be a good base for you. Also learn Unreal Engine if you want to focus on game art, even though you don't necessarily need to know it if you're just a prop artist. But a modeling program + texturing program should be an absolute minimum, e.g. Blender + SP.

Good luck.

Anonymous No. 909878

>>909857
because autodesk is better and is industry standard. learn max, maya, zbrush, substance painter and you're good to go.

blender is for coping trannies

Anonymous No. 909880

>>909865
Best advice ITT

Anonymous No. 909881

>>909857
Blender shits itself as soon as assets become highly complex and in general is extremely unreliable.
furthermore there is literally nothing blender excels at - for every single task there is superior software, which is why it will never be industry standard.

Blender is useful for finding out for free whether or not modeling generally is for you - then when you want to make it you switch to actual software. pros don't keep using blender just like photographers don't stick to their fisher-price kiddiecams when they go pro.

Anonymous No. 909885

>>909865

What's it like being a 3d monkey that only does props like rocks? Is it the same as a code monkey?

Anonymous No. 909894

>>909885
Doing anything enough times will make you sick of it. I think artists who focus on purely rocks, foliage or things like that are rare. Dannie Carlone on God of War is an example and I'm not even sure if he was only doing rocks there. Or they may do it for a few years for one project and then switch to hard surface, materials or something else in the next one.

Anonymous No. 909898

>>909894
Ok true, but how do you tell that in an interview without sounding pessimistic if you were a junior doing hardsurface, environment art going into character art and vice versa?

Anonymous No. 909899

>>909857
because you touch yourself at night
>captcha TR0JAN

Anonymous No. 909924

>>909898
I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to ask. Why would you sound pessimistic and about what exactly? You're interviewing for a job you would enjoy, no?