Image not available

181x137

Fuck.png

๐Ÿงต How the actual fuck do 3D artist make good bakes?

Anonymous No. 914409

I have spent over 10 hours trying to optimize the baking of a simple item and no matter what I do, I can see artifacts and never am able to get a good bake

๐Ÿ—‘๏ธ Anonymous No. 914411

>>914409
by cleaning it up in photoshop

Anonymous No. 914412

Use Substance painter for baking and painting out artifacts.

Anonymous No. 914460

>>914409
#1 don't bake in blender
#2 use painter or marmoset toolbag
#3 ensure you are matching by file name in painter or using bake groups in marmoset toolbag so normals don't intersect
#4 triangulate models before baking
#5 always use mikktspace
#6 mess around with Ray distance I guess

Anonymous No. 915137

>>914409
>DUDE WEED
fuck off

Anonymous No. 915139

>>914412

This. Just use the clone tool to fix seams. There are tutorials for that.

Anonymous No. 915140

There's no escaping having to manually make cages from time to time

Anonymous No. 915153

>>914409
Okay anon, here's what you're gonna do:
-Bake in Marmoset
-Anytime you encounter an error, skim through this document and try to find it, if you can't find it post a screenshot of it and ask for help: https://docs.google.com/document/d/0B02lElvs8BcvYllmQWpXUGxod3M/edit?resourcekey=0-qyVFd0vGiqJl56hPbOnRWw

>Bake in painter
Lol no, it's not bad but Marmoset has skew painting
>Bake anywhere else
That's a terrible idea
>But I can't afford Marmoset!
Pirate it you pussy
>Fix your bake errors with the clone stamp/photoshop
Holy fuck no, that's not the way to do it and is a retarded technique from 2013 indians. Not only does it take forever, what happens if you need to change your model and rebake? You gotta repaint all that shit again. If you did your setup properly you won't have bake errors to paint out.

Anonymous No. 915231

>>914409
Stop using Blender

Anonymous No. 915300

>>914409
A bake never comes out flawless, I have to clean up almost any hero asset I make in photoshop.

A decade ago I thought it was something that would get addressed soon. Apparently projection algorithms must be very surprisingly difficult to write.

Anonymous No. 915368

>>915300
I've baked hundreds of hard-surface assets through a 6-year career. I started out with lots of baking errors, but I took the time to understand what caused them and fix their root cause instead of painting out seams. I virtually never have bake errors anymore, I don't think about baking, and it has become a 10-minute process where I do my skew painting, fix out areas where my (marmoset) cage extends too far, and I'm done.
If you took time to figure out why your bakes come out fucked I'm certain you could reach the same level in a few months easy.