Image not available

460x652

catpic.png

๐Ÿงต Untitled Thread

Anonymous No. 914904

How do I get an entry level job if I can more or less sculpt/model/texture/retopo/rig/groom anything?

I also have extensive knowledge of anatomy, which means I can more or less model every bone/muscle from memory (of course, having reference helps a lot) and I've done some medical models for private medical companies.

I mostly focus on organic characters based on concepts (2D->3D), but I can easily do hard surface stuff etc.

Pic related is a render from the sketchfab engine (was too lazy to do "proper" renders for this question)

If I'm not good enough, what should I focus on? How do I get a "good" portfolio?

I have also never worked in a studio and only worked as a storyboard artist before focusing completely on 3D

Image not available

672x696

ghostpic.png

Anonymous No. 914905

>cont.

I just want an entry level job, something that pays anything for 3D related content

Anonymous No. 914910

>>914904
Just slap ur stuff on artstation nd apply lmao

Anonymous No. 914913

>>914910

How do I know if I'm good enough BEFORE I apply?

What can I do right now to be more "hireable"?

Anonymous No. 914916

>>914904
>I've done some medical models for private medical companies.
>>914913
>How do I know if I'm good enough :( :( :(
kys faggot

Anonymous No. 914917

almost fooled me, portfolio schizo

Anonymous No. 914918

>>914916

I take it as a compliment lol, but this isn't enough.

They mostly just wanted basic pelvis and ribcage sculpts, not even textured/uv-d.

>>914917

How come?

I honestly, truly don't know what skills are required to get a job. Yes, I do have some kind of an Artstation/sketchfab portfolio, but then what?

Do I need to be on the same level as the typical asian 3D guys are?

What's the step AFTER becoming decently good?

Image not available

1920x1080

FishRenderFront.png

Anonymous No. 914920

Also, my quality somewhat fluctuates.

Pic related was something I also had to design and I'm not a concept artist, mostly only a modeler/sculptor etc., so my concepting skills aren't great.

The prompt was "a metallic oriental fish sculpture on a turntable" (generated by a random prompt generator)

I have no idea if it's even decent, but then again - If I had a concept already made, I could easily make it.

Anonymous No. 914921

>>914918
>What's the step AFTER becoming decently good?
Then you fill online forms and email people... but be careful! If you're dumb and apply BEFORE you are good enough the ADs will share your portfolio in their secret slack and discord channels and you'll be BLACKBALLED FOR LIFE

Hope this helps.

Anonymous No. 914925

>>914904
>game studio does disney shit. Make disney shit
>game studio makes anime shit. Make anime shit.
>game studio does semirrealistic character shit. Make semirealistic character shit.
>studio wants to see low poly, uvs, texture maps, good lighting that follows studio's art direction. Give a shitty sculpted fish render.
>resume in the trash

Image not available

594x623

goblinpic.png

Anonymous No. 914926

>>914921
Kek

Where do I find entry level stuff? Is it this typical "you need 5 years of experience in a studio in order to apply" type of stuff or is it way more skill based?

Like the sticky says, software isn't an issue - I've worked with everything: Blender, Maya, Zbrush, Substance Painter, Marmoset etc.

Also, how many pieces does a sent portfolio usually have?

>>914925

So this fish thingy IS bad? So I should be more studio focused and showcase more of the technical aspects?

Pic related, based on a 2D concept

Anonymous No. 914928

>>914926
It's not even finished. Into the trash it goes.

Anonymous No. 914929

>>914926
I would say 10 pieces of finished work. Showing High poly / Low poly / Textured / Pics in something like Marmoset or Using an online viewer like Sketchfab.

Anonymous No. 914934

>>914929
thats a lot of work. Most vfx reels dont even approach that much.

Anonymous No. 914948

>>914934
Agree, don't know if it's different in VFX, but I know in games there were people that got a job even with a single portfolio piece, or a 2-3 of them, tops. 10 seems like an overkill. Quality over quantity, and maybe pick a project where you can showcase multiple things, at a good level of complexity.

Other than that, I don't even know, I'm not a character artist so I can't comment on technical details, but they seem a bit basic and not sure which type of project they would fit in. I'd say you need to focus more on a particular type of work and a particular style. I don't even know how the character art market is looking in terms of an amount of stylized vs photorealistic job positions, but with environments and props, I'd say definitely there are definitely a lot more photoreal projects.

Also join good discord communities, I only knwo of ones that focus on environments and props, but find something for characters if you want to get into that. Spam your work everywhere, polycount, reddit, twitter, instagram, connect with people online, let yourself be seen. Artstation likes and follows can also be a good indicator if you're good enough, but not always.

Anonymous No. 914949

>>914948
Oh and also, don't post shitty quality and unfinished projects on artstation, there's a saying that you will be judged by your weakest portfolio piece, so only showcase the best what you've got. Better to have 1 great piece than 4 mediocre ones.

Anonymous No. 914957

>>914949
artstation means very little. Youtube is better and having actual product on the app stores is best

Anonymous No. 914958

>>914957
Depends on what's your goal, but I wouldn't agree this is true for a 3D art job.

Anonymous No. 914964

>>914905
you need an ego slap. your models looks like shit desu. literally babies-first-afternoon-in-zbrush tier

Anonymous No. 914983

>>914964

What can I improve on? They are literally based on concept art.

Anonymous No. 914994

>>914964
it looks good, but I would need to see it rigged and animated

Image not available

1920x1080

tbrender_004.png

Anonymous No. 915029

The same cat, but rendered. I think some animated tentacles would be cool.

Anonymous No. 915040

>>915029

On that note, what would be the easiest way to make the tentacles move in a loop? They're already posed, but not rigged.

Anonymous No. 915395

>>915040
Pre-posed is harder, you can't get reliable deformation, that's why people model characters they intend to rig in t-pose.
That said, for something simple you could have the head bob up and down, and have the tentacles move along with an offset. Just bobbing up and down like springs attached to a ball. Giving each its own unique bounce will help sell the effect.

Anonymous No. 915440

>>914904
>>914925 has it right

Tailor your application to the studio you're applying to. Don't do stylized textures if you're applying to work on COD etc

If you're going for an entry level job focus on props and environments. I have never seen a studio hire a junior and hand them a character to work on. You're most likely going to be modeling props the characters interact with or that sit in the background. Prove to them in your resume they can hand that shit to you and not worry? You're gold.

I know GDC can be cringe but this video was kind of good:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93_6P-hXFGY

If you're submitting models use artstation and show a bunch of different views, wireframes, uv's etc. If it was animation or fx, then use video.

Anonymous No. 916361

>>915440
>If you're going for an entry level job focus on props and environments. I have never seen a studio hire a junior and hand them a character to work on.
??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

What an incredibly retarded take.
Have you ever heard of junior character artists? How does making chairs and tables help you learn anatomy? Deformable topo? Hair? How to work with human scan data?
If you want to make characters learn how to make characters, this isn't 1999 and you don't get your foot in the door by scrubbing toilets anymore.