Image not available

1600x912

xkung-work-ai-cha....jpg

๐Ÿงต How to make a 2D hair card react to changes in light?

Anonymous No. 918049

I know the limits of a hair card system like pic related.

But...
Would it be technically posible to make a 2D texture in a quad, add basic subdivisions and make it deform around a cilinder or something.

But...
How would you make it react to the light like if I drew a geometry using a toon shader?
Some shadow painted mask used as a fresnel or as a normal map??

Anonymous No. 918052

How do I make a spritesheet shader that is a mask to a color based on viewport camera angle that let's say I use a basic low poly unshaded face with an alpha mask to the basic skin color, but have a sprite sheet shadow that is drawn on top of the basic color skin based on camera angle, so like the node shadow and mouth changes texture based on camera viewport angle?

And how do I extrude at the Z axis like give Z depth width to the 2D sprite to fake a 3D mesh?

Anonymous No. 918079

>>918049
>I know the limits of a hair card system like pic related.

That picture shows a solid mesh hair (AKA a manifold mesh, it has volume). Hair cards are non-manifold objects, they're flat and have no volume. So the hair in that picture doesn't use haircards.

> Would it be technically posible to make a 2D texture in a quad, add basic subdivisions and make it deform around a cilinder or something.

Yeah, a convenient way of doing that is making a Bezier Curve object and using the bevel setting of the curve so it functions like a wire deformer for a flat ribbon-like mesh. That's how haircards in Blender are usually done, because the haircards remain editable (you modify the curves).

> How would you make it react to the light like if I drew a geometry using a toon shader?
Some shadow painted mask used as a fresnel or as a normal map??

The haircard geometry has its geometry normals and you can increment them using normal maps as well, but normal maps are not necessary for the anisotropic highlights found in anime hair.
If you google for "blender anime hair shader" you'll find examples.

Anonymous No. 918190

>>918049
>Would it be technically posible to make a 2D texture in a quad, add basic subdivisions and make it deform around a cilinder or something.
You said a lot of weird shit that show you're very confused, but yes, that's actually possible using lattices too, here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lo_FxdSe_F8

The 3D model in your picture doesn't react to light because it was made by an illustrator and it's easier for him to draw the shadows than to fix the normals and set up the shaders to get the anime look.

Anonymous No. 918199

>>918190
Tbh I think using beveled curves to make this banana-hair, then boolean-unioning it all in the end and cleaning it all up, is a valid alternative.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nn7mISvVzJk

Anonymous No. 918227

>>918049
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxWWBmIUxbc&ab_channel=LightningBoyStudio

/thread

Anonymous No. 918304

>>918227
good job doing OP's work.

If the guy can't even bother to type "blender anime hair shader" on youtube then he deserves to stay ignorant