Image not available

752x438

FRZHy3OX0AAorOJ.jpg

🧵 Untitled Thread

Anonymous No. 919979

>Open Blender for first time
>Completely lost in arcane and unintuitive interface (this coming from someone whose used GIMP and Solidworks)
>Google Blender tutorials
>184 video long playlist of 5 minute vids that poorly explain how to make some specific object
How am I supposed to learn this shit? I don't want to make a fucking donut, I want a simple guide on how to navigate the god-awful UI, and a concise explanation of what each tool does and what I might want to use it for. Preferably in text + pictures form, not some shitty video.

Anonymous No. 919980

>>919979
The donut tutorial is unironically good, not necessarily because of what your making but because Andrew had designed it for total beginners and he explains everything, even where to click.

Anonymous No. 919992

>>919979
Use Maya.

Anonymous No. 920006

>>919992
>The price of an annual Maya subscription is $1,785
No fucking thanks, that's like a month's pay for my broke college student self

Anonymous No. 920011

finding a good blender tutorial series is hard because of all the garbage that gets recommended. avoid blender guru at all cost. Imphenzia and ChamferZone are better IMO. also if you understand how UV's, texturing and rigging works, start using plugins asap. they are so much better than vanilla blender and save you lots of time.

Anonymous No. 920015

>>920006
>my broke college student self

Anonymous No. 920016

>>920006
You can use torrent version

Anonymous No. 920022

Start with this. https://youtu.be/jnj2BL4chaQ

Then buy his courses when they get a discount on gamedev. That's what I did and I recommend. I bought the Grant Abbit bundle. 6 courses for 50 and something bucks. I still have to finish 4 more I already learn enough to make a real size replica of my room in blender.
Don't do the donut tutorial it's shit for begginers, it has too much information and little practice.

Anonymous No. 920031

>>919979
>and a concise explanation of what each tool does and what I might want to use it for
Do zoomers know what a manual is? Or do you stare at youtube all day hoping to have knowledge downloaded in your brain like in the matrix?

Anonymous No. 920038

Many years ago I started with BLENDING AWAY THE PAIN:
https://masterxeon1001.gumroad.com/l/blendingawaythepain

It's for 2.79 but it puts you in the right level UI-wise to start looking for object-making tutorials.

Anonymous No. 920067

>>919979
Same here. I have used many programs with non user friendly UIs like Lightwave, early Houdini or SI3D with no problems. But Blender never really clicked with me, not 15 years ago and not now.

Anonymous No. 920075

Shit, back in my day (2.49b) there wasn't videos on how to use it.
Had to get by with just the manual. So I had to make snowmen and vases until I figured out how things worked. After a week or so I was reaching past my comfort zone and doing all kinds of stuff.

In all honesty, the navigation of Blender hasn't changed much over the years after the UI changed in 2.5. If you can find a book/pdf on the basics, it should do you just fine.
There's some newer stuff with the UI after 2.8, but the change really isn't that large, despite what others might claim.
Learn how to move/scale/rotate and how to extrude, and you're 90% of the way there in terms of how to model something.

Anonymous No. 922339

>>920031
To be fair, blenders documentation is not very good, at least if you want to delve into specifics (and at some points, it's even outdated), so I understand their desire, even if I think that just a small tutorial on how to move around and stuff + experimentation will get you very far (coming from experience)

>>919979
BTW, CGCookie has really good tutorials, I recommend

Anonymous No. 922341

>>919980
I second this. After this tutorial you can more or less walk with your own legs.

Anonymous No. 922343

>>919979
1. Make a box
2. Make an edge loop
3. Extrude face
4. Remove/add vertex, edge face
5. Select some edges, press ctrl-B and wiggle your mouse
6. Know how to rotate, move and scale
7. They nuked the spacebar menu but remember that there's a very powerful search functionality for everything Blender does behind a single shortcut
8. Just go through all the menus in the 3D view

Anonymous No. 922345

>>919979
it's not about making a donut retard it covers pretty much all the aspects of the interface and teaches you by making you do it yourself instead of giving you pictures and words to read

Anonymous No. 922349

>>920006
>price
>internet
LMAO

Anonymous No. 922383

>>919979
>hurrr spoonfeed me blender beginner basics, and also do it in a highly specific format
unironically give up now, you don't have what it takes. given that you can't even study the absolute basics of a skill that resembles playing a video game (there are far worse things to study), you probably don't have what it takes to excel at literally anything.

Anonymous No. 922389

>>919979
It's still way more intuitive than the other 3d stuff, 3d software in general is just complex and you gotta get over that first hurdle. I still couldn't use gimp for its shit interface tho so who am I to talk.

Anonymous No. 922450

>>919979
>>Z IS STILL FUCKING UP
absolute filth

Anonymous No. 922639

Make a new project, pick Sculpting, and just play with the tools. If your shape starts getting blocky and low res go to the top left menu that says Sculpt Mode, click it, select Edit mode, select the blocky area, right click and then click Subdivide. Then press tab to go back to sculpt mode, select the Smooth tool (the sphere with a red flat surface) and smooth it out. That's all you need to know to get started and make something decent.

Anonymous No. 922673

>>920006
edu version is free.
don't waste your time with blender if you plan to work in industry.

Anonymous No. 922876

>>922450
YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND LOOKING DOWN FROM ABOVE IS THE REAL PLANE NOT THE ONE FACING YOU
I don't pretend to like it either

Image not available

514x486

unknown-28.png

Anonymous No. 922877

>>919979
>i want a proper blender tutorial
>no, not that one. i want to make a transformer before i make a donut
>what the fuck why is blender so hard
beggars can't be choosers, faggot

Anonymous No. 923034

>>922877
this

Anonymous No. 923038

>>922639
This idiot can't even sit through a small tutorial explaining how to use tools and you expect him to mess around and figure it out by himself

Anonymous No. 923039

>>919979
>How am I supposed to learn this shit?
Not our problem

Anonymous No. 923057

>>919979
read the fuckin doc

Anonymous No. 923421

>>919979
3d is probably the most diverse art medium you will find and thus the tools we have are diverse and intended to be used on a case by case basis.

Most people who use lets zbrush don't use 80% of the tools the software has. Same is true for blender.

Don't expect to know what every button does and what every tool does because you don't need most of them, understand the simple concept of moving vertices on an axis, beveling, shading a object smooth. Then after that learn how to turn a square into a hexgon, hexagon into a octagon and then a octagon into a circle.

From their you can make pretty much anything.

Anonymous No. 925327

>>919979
blender is easy and gimp is fucking based what the fuck are you talking about retard

Anonymous No. 925329

>>923057
>reading
ngmi

Anonymous No. 926576

anyone got a torrent link for maya?

Anonymous No. 926581

>>919992
Fuck Maya
(Totally not a Blender User)
But it doesn't really matter it's software it's how you use it is what matters

Anonymous No. 926594

>>919979
I use blender for the past 20 years. Fuck the UIs, they come and go but keyboard shortcuts are ethereal. You don’t learn the UIs, that’s for Maya fags, you learn how to operate the keyboard. N, T, NUM 5, 7, R, S, CRTL+R are the most common I use. When I think scale, I think S, when I think rotate I think R. The UIs doesn’t exist for me.

Anonymous No. 926596

>>926594
I first learned to press TAB on the cube to enter Edit mode, 7 for top view and then select a vertex and E for extrude. To create a polygon you press F. First I modelled all my stuff in 2D then learned that pressing A to select all faces then E and Z for z axis makes it into a flat 3D object. The main thing for me was not to try to grasp everything straight away but slowly day by day after work. Print out the shortcuts and hang them above your desk.

Anonymous No. 926615

>>925329
Man, fuck videos.
SUPER EPIC BLENDER TUTORIAL [MASTER IT IN 4 MINS]
:^O <==== SUPER REALISTIC RENDER
I've been past watching videos for fuckin years, but I feel bad for the zoomies thinking that's the only place for information and being screamed at by some literal-who pajeet with a 30 second intro "what's up guys today i am going to be showing you how to make a suzanne monkey".
Literal fucking time waster. At least with text I can ctrl-f and find exactly what I need in 2 seconds, and if not, I have the ability to skim.
Videos are by far the worst fucking way to get information about something. Except in the cases where they aren't. I'll watch a video every now and again on something I've never done before, or some niche workflow, but those occasions are rare and I'd rather be reading a quick 1min rundown than a 10 min video to go over something that could be wrapped up quick.
I just fucking hate Youtube culture and the commodification of information.

Anonymous No. 927817

>>919979
the donut isn't just a meme it's a genuinely great tutorial, it's hands down the best way to familiarise somebody with the UI and general guts of how blender works
when you learn to draw you don't necessarily want to draw apples and oranges all day but you still have to knuckle down and do the gay noob shit you don't really want to do.
you need to get over thinking that you're too good to start off crawling. just because you're doing art on the computer doesn't mean you get to take shortcuts. that's the shitty part, the cool part is if you actually try to get something out of the experience you'll enjoy it for what it is anyway.

Anonymous No. 927945

>>920011
Recommend some UV and Rigging plugins

Image not available

835x835

license expired.jpg

Anonymous No. 927977

>>923421
Except 3d cameras and having any sense of quadrant control with zmodeler. Always some core feature missing with vanilla industry standard software. Yeah it's diverse enough to not be a problem, if you have access to a software engineer that will further customize a heavily studio modified version of the program, and you stay married to that company that manages to outlive you.

Its also been 4-5 years since users outlined the main problems with Quad Draw in the AD forums and they still have not been fixed. One of the allegedly best retopo tools that cannot handle peaks and valleys and constantly gets vertices stuck unselectable underneath the live mesh. Thank god for Topogun pushing forward.

Let it be made clear. Blender is not an option. I will not use badly optimized Blender viewport that pisses itself harder than Quad Draw on high density mesh pre-2023, nor do I desire to cross my fingers that I can import an autodesk product's presets and navigation scheme without running into another problem. Going back to Blender to try the latest version of Blender felt like playing a game with a terrible driving section and I've never been frustrated by Zbrush's infamous UI.

Blender acolytes telling people they have the most enthusiastic/rabid community is not relevant to their workflow. Yet to make matters worse Maxon runs the show and it looks like they have nothing to show for it come next year, except making groomgang jump ship to Blender for valid reasons.

Image not available

1024x1024

1667889145733499.png

Anonymous No. 927979

>>920015
Kek no they want proof of enrollment these days in a cg program that uses their software.

>>920016
The treasure trove of what they are looking for right now under their noses in the PTG thread but I doubt even mentioning this will get anyone to look at it. Hopefully it helps some bright-eyed prospective soul.

Anonymous No. 928049

>>919979
If you are actually able to use Gimp efficiently, you already posses spastic arcane knowledge far beyond what mere mortals can usually attain. That program wants to make me slit my own throat, whenever I have been necessitated to use it over Photoshop. Buy a course on something like Udemy (Or find a free tutorial), of something you would like to make. I started with one on modular game environments.

Anonymous No. 928150

>>919979
> I don't want to make a fucking donut
I didn't want to make a coffee mug either but the tutorial familiarized me with the basics of Blender from sculpt to render really quickly (2 hrs). And yeah, 2 hrs is pretty damned quick.

Anonymous No. 928327

>>919980
this

Anonymous No. 928342

It's not about learning about how to make a donut, it's about learning the means/tools to make a donut, which can be applied elsewhere. If you don't want to do that, then think about what you ACTUALLY want to make, and then figure out how to make it. If there's a tutorial, even better. Keep going until you get stuck, then look up what you're stuck on. Google stuff. That would probably take longer, but at the end of the day, as long as you're learning how to do stuff, then you're on the right track. Getting through the interface is really the hardest part, in my opinion.

Anonymous No. 928345

>>928342
>Keep going until you get stuck, then look up what you're stuck on. Google stuff
Blender also has a subreddit dedicated to people helping you and explaining (r/blenderhelp)
>inb4 muh reddit

Anonymous No. 928347

>>928345
You wont learn anything from reddit

Anonymous No. 928348

>>928347
you will learn thanks to the people using it

Anonymous No. 928451

Blender is shit, I hate it and I don't consider it to be real 3D software.
Some of, if not the single worst piece of software I've ever had the displeasure of using. Absolute sub trash tier, not even worthy of using.

Anonymous No. 928454

>>928451
>filtered by blender
ngmi

Anonymous No. 928465

>>928454
I use actual 3D software that works and isn't made by and for trannies, anon. You should try it some time too.

Anonymous No. 929353

>>928465
>I am filtered by blender

Image not available

710x674

1649426978404.jpg

Anonymous No. 930237

>>920006
I will not accept ANY subscription service.

Anonymous No. 930246

>>920006
Maya Indie exist you retard.

Anonymous No. 930291

>>928451
I agree blender is shit, but maya is waay worse.

Anonymous No. 930306

>How am I supposed to learn this shit?
Don't worry about it. In a few years you'll just be required to draw a stick figure and AI will figure out the rest.