Image not available

739x494

entrepreneur.jpg

๐Ÿงต Self-publishing on marketplaces

Anonymous No. 919994

I've sold my stuff before to other studios, be it assets, full environments, tutorials etc. I realize now that it didn't really benefit me long-term and so I have seriously been considering of finding ways to achieve some long term passive income, and ideally try to grow it slowly as time goes on. I don't need to make a quick buck at the moment.

I'm still being asked to create content for other publishers, but I know that I will put in 99% of the work in the whole production, while they will just take it and put it in their stores, earning a huge chunk of percentage off my hard work, giving them a nice income on the side without moving a finger, while I get scraps and some """fame""", which is actually questionable if it will even come. A lot of them have this tactic where they are low key telling you it will be worth it because they are well known in the industry.

But I've been hurt before with that kind of promise, where they say they will handle marketing costs, but really, that "marketing" of theirs is just sharing a post on their social media channels with a few thousand followers, which is kind of pathetic when you think about it. I can do that as well, I regularly get noticed by a lot of people when I post something on the internet, even though I don't have that much following.

So the point of this thread is that I've been considering to begin putting some stuff of mine on various marketplaces, some tutorials on Artstation and some environments on Unreal marketplace, and I've been wondering if anyone here has done the same and if they have some experience with it they would like to share. I know it can be hard at the beginning, but I've seen some people earning ridiculous amounts of money with it on the side.

Anonymous No. 919995

Cont.

I'm just sick of being a monkey who does the hard work while someone on top of me earns good money without moving a finger and at this point I think I'm willing to risk it and do it on my own even if I don't sell a fraction of copies, even if I don't sell anything at all. But the fact that there are actually a lot of people who are outright showing the interest in my stuff is telling me that I may be fortunate enough to actually make this viable.

I want to have my stuff on my OWN website and have a control over it for a long time, if you understand it. It still hurts to decline recent offers now because I'll never know if I made a wrong move, but I think I have to do it, do you agree?

Anyone else feeling this way? Am I making a mistake or should I take a risk?

Image not available

852x480

1649756382531.webm

Anonymous No. 921465