Image not available

720x720

1661015366215452.jpg

๐Ÿงต Tablet: Screen or Screenless?

Anonymous No. 921192

I have a question for the sculptbros. Do you use a tablet with or without a screen? The ones that do offer a screen are usually more expensive so I wonder if there are any benefits to it.

Anonymous No. 921195

Without. I've never used one with a screen, but a lot of the people I know who have say that it's not really worth the extra expense, and about half of them even prefer screenless because then their hand isn't constantly blocking their view.

If you don't have a proper ergonomic setup with a proper mount or tilted table, you want a screenless anyway, because it's not great on your neck or shoulders to be sitting while staring downward constantly. Traditional drafters and artists use special drafting tables for a reason. I wouldn't say that screen tablets are a gimmick or a waste, but for most people it's not worth the extra expense, and they'd be better off with a more modest tablet like a Wacom Intuos S and an extra monitor.
The only way you'd know for sure is to try one out.

Anonymous No. 921196

>>921192
Would not recommend screen one, you need to see what You are doing without your hand obstructing the view.

Anonymous No. 922908

Speaking of tablets, which tablet brand and models would you guys recommend for a hobbyist? Mid-tier is fine.

Anonymous No. 922910

>>922908
Xencelabs is pretty nice

Anonymous No. 922912

>>921192
Without. I have used a graphics tablet at my friend's place, tried his I mean. He had a large one though, took up a huge area and I found it fun but ultimately annoying because it was so big it didn't work flat, it needed to be tilted.

Anonymous No. 922913

>>921192
Well yes, the benefit is that you see where you are pressing the brush and the experience is usually more enjoyable because its like... you're just drawing. Also, if you use without screen your coordination is going to be fucked up for a while until you get used to it

Anonymous No. 922917

>>921192
I have both screen and screenless. With screen it's awkward to look down and also have hand blocking the view. Screenless is just superior as you can have both good ergonomics and good visibility.

Anonymous No. 922919

There was a video where that flipped normals guy bought a screen tablet and he said it was good, but he didnt go in depth into how he used the keyboard as well.

Anonymous No. 922951

if you want a screen, why not just use your ipad and apple pencil in sidecar mode? i do it with aseprite all the time. works like a charm.

Image not available

828x808

1665248418182988.jpg

Anonymous No. 924263

>>921195
>>921196
>>922917
>muh hand blocking the view
Americans once again being so fat and stupid that their hands manage to not only block the picture, but the most basic human coordination as well.
>>921192
I started with normal tablets but switched to screen and it feels like a miracle that i don't want to ever get rid of, especially if you're already accustomed to drawing on paper before going digital and sculpting. Plus it also doubles as a second monitor when i am not using it, which comes in handy a lot.

Anonymous No. 924268

>>924263
How do you manage to make your hand transparent?

Image not available

960x717

1665248686138922.png

Anonymous No. 924309

>>924268
How did literally every other artist in the past managed to make their hands transparent before tablets were a thing?
You have at most less than third of the screen covered by your hand if you're not obese as fuck on the smaller tablets, and it's just a matter of hand coordination and not having goldfish-grade memory. Plus, unless you carpal tunelled your wrists into nonexistence, it's easy to twist your arm out of the way around the pen.
I understand that whether it is a screen or a normal tablet is just a matter of preference, and there are objective arguments against both, but holy shit the whole hand obstruction argument is just one gigantic fucking cope for not trying to adapt to the screen.

Anonymous No. 924312

>>921192
when you use a screen one you can just duplicate the output on your regular monitor to nullify the critique of allegedly (never had that problem) not being able to see what you draw.

Anonymous No. 924321

Screenless for sculpting, screen for drawing in my case

Anonymous No. 924356

>>924309
>How did literally every other artist in the past managed to make their hands transparent before tablets were a thing?
They didn't, but being able to see through your hand would be a distinct improvement.

I think you're being needlessly confrontational. I've always worked digital so I find the hand obstruction a nuisance, and I find it just as annoying when I'm using paper. I don't have any loss in capability by not seeing my stylus directly touching where I'm working. I could get used to it, but I don't find it world-changing to use a screen tablet, or really an improvement at all.

I also always keep my keyboard directly in front of me, and the tablet is off to the side at a normal mouse position, angled toward me. A screen tablet doesn't give me those ergonomics.

> It's easy to twist your arm out of the way around the pen.
Then I'm just working around a tool that imposes a disadvantage that I never needed to work around before.

You act like we're bumbling and useless because we're bringing up obstruction, but that's not what it is. If you were trying to draw in a windowless room where the light turned on and off every second, you'd still be able to work, but it would be annoying and you'd find it inefficient. It's not like we're claiming it's impossible to draw under the conditions or that our fat fucking balloon hands block the entire screen at once. You've just assumed all that shit.

Anonymous No. 924382

>>924356
Tldr actually obese.

Anonymous No. 924391

>>924382
I'm at about 10% bodyfat. Why take a discussion about screen graphics tablets so seriously that you have to start slinging insults? Show some self-respect.

Anonymous No. 924394

>>924391
post tummy :3

Image not available

4032x3024

PXL_20221103_2148....jpg

Anonymous No. 924412

>>924394
Sure, enjoy my weird body. I don't have enough muscle definition to make it look any good yet, but I'm working on it.

Anonymous No. 924416

>>921192
I go with screen since in the event I'm not sculpting, I still have a handy second (or third) monitor to work on that takes up the same space as a normal tablet would.
Just don't get a small one. 15" or larger.

Anonymous No. 924419

>>924412
thats not 10%. Hell, you're skinnyfat.

Anonymous No. 924424

>>924419
Then my resistance scale is giving bad data. Not obese either way at a BMI of 21.

Anonymous No. 924426

>>924419
that's like 16% but he isn't skinnyfat what the fuck

Anonymous No. 924427

>>924412
I like that mirror, or really any shapes beyond square for a mirror.

That being said I have to agree with the big frog in that if you actually felt like you were blocking the screen with your hand it's on you. Screenless does allow you to fit a tablet into any desk space but I would argue giving up a little space to get a screen and the more natural direct feedback is worth getting inventive. Hell, I got a cheap laptop stand from IKEA and lay my off-hand across the keyboard, it has been much more satisfying than drawing in my lap ever was.

Anonymous No. 924429

>>924427
>I like that mirror, or really any shapes beyond square for a mirror.
Thanks. I wish I could take credit for it, but it was just already here when I bought the house.

You might be right about all that. I honestly never gave screened that much of a fair shake. I don't hate them or anything. I tried to make it clear that it's effectively a minor preference, but it's hard to make a point at length and still get across that it's not actually that important, it just comes across like that because I'm a verbose windbag.

Anonymous No. 925563

>>922908
Wacom?

Anonymous No. 925564

i have both.
Intuos pro L and Cintiq 24. I prefer the cintiq but it has to be tilted so you have to use a monitor arm (another 300$). If youre used to screenless just get a screenless one, tools don't make the artist

Anonymous No. 927823

>>925563
Yes