Image not available

600x535

file.png

๐Ÿงต Blendlet, touched both 3DS Max and Maya

Anonymous No. 922672

>longtime Blender user
>only external program I really use is Substance Painter (Blender's texturing tools still suck ass, yeah)
>have went through several 3D courses in two separate colleges
>try out 3ds Max in the first one
>modifiers are neat I guess, but the program and general workflow itself is unintuitive dogshit
>current college, get to choose between Maya and 3DS Max
>choose Maya
>find it much better than 3ds Max, but the weird ass tab system for modifiers is much less flexible compared to Blender (can't even rearrange the order?)
>workflow in general just feels more stunted and confusing, finding myself frustrated at the things Maya *doesn't* have more often than being impressed by what it *does* have
I don't mean to simply rag on other 3D applications (except 3DS Max, fuck that app in particular), or that the apps I like are "better", but I'm really starting to think that the people here who dismiss Blender as "baby's first 3D tool" haven't actually touched it in like, 5 years?

Is the Blender hate here on /3/ just tradition-enforced shitflinging, or is there genuine reason for people hating the idea of it seeping into anywhere in the industry?

Anonymous No. 922674

>>922672
You're too infected by blender.
I touched maya and didn't look twice before beginning to move to it, and I was a blendlet for like 5 years.

Anonymous No. 922675

>>922672
blender chugging with high polycount models is a pretty big issue sometimes

Anonymous No. 922677

>>922674
2/?
> genuine reason for people hating the idea of it seeping into anywhere in the industry?

It's fucking shit at everything.
Basically it's got the most stripped down versions of everything other software has bundled with it, blender wants to become "the all in one" software when it's development team is just a bunch of shitcoder trannies that have nothing to do with the original team that just wanted some free modelling software that people could use.

> Horrible Scaling tools, modelling at scale is unironically a chore, the grid that scales with the screen does not help.
> Basic lighting options that are in other software are hidden in nodes (blackbody, falloff, gobos)
> Rendering engine violates energy conservation laws, creating the shitty "rubber" look everything in blender has (this is a side effect of principled BSDF's improper values, the fix is to add a mixRGB node, add a Fresnel value to the factor and control the color with color controller 1, and turn the color controller 2 to completely black.)
> Shitty, inconsistent snapping tools.
> Sucky editing visuals
> Shitty animation tools (No smoothing. No playback in the graph or dope editor, graph editor stinks and the nla editor is plain awful)
> No material manager (You cant select a load of materials and change/delete them unless they have data within the model)

I could go on.

Anonymous No. 922678

>>922672
My takeaway is that most of it is just snarking, some good ol banter. Since in the end it is more about what program better fits your workflow.

Just to add my two cents I actually began learning 3d with 3dsmax. I went to classes, had a final project done+approved and made a sizable portfolio with it. One day I tried to learn a bit of blender, just for fun and since then I havent touched 3ds, I prefer the flow of blender much more and I use csp for the texture work (however I am thinking of learning substance)

Anonymous No. 922679

>>922675
Hard to disagree there, yeah. Blender's performance when handling high-poly models is far from ideal. Hope that area improves.

>>922674
>>922677
These seem like relatively minor issues to me, especially seeing that there's an easy solution for a good chunk of them. Editing visuals look just fine to me? You do whatever works for you, though.

>>922678
Definitely recommend Substance. It has very nice simultaneous control over the various texture maps, and it has a nice variety of included assets and brushes to help it all look pretty and organic.

Should probably get it soon, though? Substance 3D Modeler recently released with no perpetual license thanks to Adobe's grubby acquisition, and I don't know when the other programs under the "Substance" umbrella will follow suit. Said licenses are only available through Steam right now.

Anonymous No. 922701

>>922672
ngmi.

Anonymous No. 922719

>>922672
Maya excells with rigging and animation optimisation, also its already based on nodegraph, something le blendchodes trying to achieve.

in general, ditch 3dsmax, only rockstar uses it for their games, and thats already bad company.
knowing Maya will get you a long way in industry, because at the big houses(like that of the mouse), almost everything is proprietary, but is based on autodesks' package.

Anonymous No. 922730

>>922719
>because at the big houses(like that of the mouse), almost everything is proprietary, but is based on autodesks' package.
everyone is switching over to houdini because of solaris. You can even see it in this months official renderman youtube channel videos

Anonymous No. 922735

>>922730
if you mean for final output, then no.
Katana is still used widely due to nuke integration.
but Dreamworks work within solaris afair

Anonymous No. 922736

>>922735
everybody is switching from maya based pipeline to houdini based pipeline because of solaris

Anonymous No. 922737

>>922736
sure they do.

Image not available

700x720

shittybomb.png

Anonymous No. 922752

>>922719
Good to note. I haven't gone into character rigging/animation yet, so I wouldn't know any improvements there right now. I only really delved into object animation and modeling in my first Maya course, seen here.

>>>/wsg/4792417

There's definitely a few areas of potential improvement here (like an actual explosion, maybe), though I was already kinda overdoing it for the course and had too little time. Would be interesting to see how the animation tools for actual character rigs compare in Maya whenever I eventually get to that point.

Anonymous No. 922757

>>922672
No one cares what Blendturds think.

Anonymous No. 922778

blender is free. all i used maya for was retopoing my models from zbrush and doing uv mapping but i bought 2 plugins for blender and i can do it there the exact same way i did in maya. cost the same as a month of maya but it's permanent.

Anonymous No. 922780

>>922778
alot of words to say;
"I havent done alot"

Anonymous No. 922783

>>922780
but I will faggot, i will

Anonymous No. 922795

>>922783
everyone one of (you) says that, blendchud.

Anonymous No. 922798

>>922778
>i used maya for stuff it didnt excell at, therefor blender is better option

no shit sherlock.

Anonymous No. 922814

>>922778
uv mapping is light years ahead in maya

Anonymous No. 922844

>>922672
>Is the Blender hate here on /3/ just tradition-enforced shitflinging....
The shitflinging started whit the Blendlets, before Blender became popular 3D artists had arguments among each other but it was mostly just banter - since Blendlets entered the stage it got batshit crazy and toxic - everywhere, not just here.
The hate is a reaction to the shit, emotional drama and mental problems these idiots brought into the 3D world and it is purely on a social/cultural level - it became tradition because it is a constant reaction to reoccurring bad behavior of these individuals and groups.
It all boils down to tribalism, overinflated egos/narcissism, lack of knowledge/experience (Dunning Krueger effect) and lack of self-control and self-reflection - a truly dangerous combination that is statistically more prevalent in the Blender community.
>is there genuine reason for people hating the idea of it seeping into anywhere in the industry?
NOBODY with a working brain actually gives a shit about Blender seeping into the industry as an tool, EVERYBODY with a working brain has an invested interest in gatekeeping and protecting oneself and others from the narcissistic, batshit-crazy, deluded, ideological possessed and hopelessly retarded.

Anonymous No. 922846

Not liking Max is a sign of /beg/

Anonymous No. 922848

>>922677
>Rendering engine violates energy conservation laws
So this is why Cycles render have a certain look to them. I didn't know it was an actual issue with the software.

Anonymous No. 922851

>>922846
pyw

Anonymous No. 922857

>>922672
>haven't actually touched it in like, 5 years?

Prob, I'm a life long max user that have picked up blender on the side since a little bit over a year ago.
Blender used to be in the 'this is cool because it's free category'. Now it's more in the 'I can't believe something this competent is free'.

With it's userbase's knowledge building rapidly and it's now serious funding it is on a clear trajectory to overshoot max & maya at some point.
Max and Maya is kinda being run by these B-tier developers and everyone that made those programs great to begin with is long gone.

Veterans will remember how rapidly Max and Maya developed back in the day when they where in open competition with one another, as well as softimage and lightwave.
As autodesk consolidated the market and gobbled up maya and killed off XSI the evolution of everything under the autodesk umbrella grinded to a halt for many years.
Everybody on the creative side wins by blender being as good as possible. If you're on team autodesk having blender out there as a free alternative
means you win if blender one day overtake autodesk, and if not just having blender out there as something that can't be bought off threatening
to do that ensures autodesk will drop bags of money hiring top engineers to improve it's line and keep it from happening.