Image not available

987x552

blender_ws.jpg

๐Ÿงต Retard question

Anonymous No. 922680

I'm trying to learn the basics of topology and in theory I understand how to control edge flow & how to localize topo, but I can't successfully apply it when it matters.
Pic related has a few attempts to bridge together loops with varying numbers of edges/face while maintaining all quads. I figured it's possible to do this with any even number of faces but I'm a mathlet so I can't tell if what I'm doing is actually mathematically possible or if I'm just bashing my head against a wall.
I've looked at a few other models (that i'm fairly sure were manually retopo'd) and it seems like there are patterns and techniques at play that I don't understand (like a loop of 24 faces simplifies into 16, into 12, into 8). Can you point me to something that might help me understand how loops of different lengths can be bridged together, or how to tell at a glance if two loops/sets of faces can be joined without n-gons or tri's?

Image not available

903x682

blender__gv.jpg

Anonymous No. 922700

Came back to it after a break and found that you can merge vertices at certain points and just remove some of the edges flowing into the merged point, and that's an easy way of lowering resolution via a diamond. It's easier to start at full res and reduce from there, it seems that in general it's more intuitive to have a lot of vertices to merge together, than to try to extrude individual edges and then fit them together like a puzzle. In any case I feel like this method works with an arbitrary difference in number of edges between the two loops you're trying to connect, but I'll need to see if it works in a practical case like connecting body parts together

Anonymous No. 922731

Google "edge loop reduction flow".

Also it may be better to learn as you go in practice.

Anonymous No. 922748

>>922680
All quads is not always necessary if the object isn't deforming.

Anonymous No. 922940

https://youtu.be/rwW6HpOcAuw
this vid or J Hills vid on retopology prob explains most of it. other than that just follow gamdevs or ppo on twitter who talk about tricks they do at job sometimes

Image not available

918x768

blender_zN.jpg

Anonymous No. 923016

Practiced bridging cylinders together, really messy but now I mostly get how to connect them regardless of the number of faces.
I figured this would be an optimal way of modeling characters (first making loops to establish where different parts ought to begin or meet with one another, and then filling in the blanks, like in this pic: https://topologyguides.com/assets/img/hand_loops.png ), but it's really slow compared to just extruding edges and fixing the topo up later. I guess geometry and the actual shapes/design should precede correct topology, you should have as many faces and edges as you need to support the details you want on the model. Without having the design figured out you wouldn't know how many faces there would be in a given loop or how the loop should flow, so these exercises I did with cylinders would be a horrible way of really modeling something

>>922731
>>922940
Very useful, thanks

Anonymous No. 923017

>>923016
It's good knowledge to have but ultimately, you would do this in retopology. When people add boleans and sculpt them into characters those are used for the high res models.

Image not available

658x370

blender_zy.jpg

Anonymous No. 923018

Also wanted to ask if there were any more fundamental ways of reducing faces (while maintaining quads) than pic related. I think logically this would be all you'd ever need to direct flow and reduce loops, but that 1:2 sometimes gave me problems when I was trying to connect odd to even numbers of edges, since it makes an additional horizontal loop that i wasnt always able to close

>>922748
I'm mainly going to do characters so it's important to me to be able to keep quads as much as possible, although I know there are a few instances where use of tris is actually advantageous for maintaining volume while deforming, like on the sides of a knee or elbow. Otherwise, I guess like 5 star poles, tris ought to be contained far away from any deforms by default

>>923017
I don't like sculpting but it's seeming more and more like I'll need to get over that it if I want to make really high res meshes. Though it's interesting that the general starting process for sculpting and low-poly/boxmodeling is the same, just on a different scale; have to feel out the form either by moving individual verts and edges, or large chunks of the model at a time