Image not available

1122x1080

bugs bunny.jpg

๐Ÿงต Will AI replace 3D modelers?

Anonymous No. 924040

Scan a naked woman. out comes a 3D model of said woman. Then use AI to meshmod from a sample pool of different women to make each one look unique.

Tell me why this won't happen.

Anonymous No. 924044

>>924040
Most women are ugly but if you got sexy grannies to join in the fun oh baby imma hit dat

Anonymous No. 924046

We need at least 9001 more of these same exact threads!

the chair nerd No. 924087

>>924040
Clip art killed 2d artists just as AI will kill 3d artists.

Oh wait it didn't it just made the market bigger and with better tools.

Anonymous No. 924136

>>924087
AI isnt a tool, its a replacer dumbass. You tell it what to do and it does all of it. You want just part of it done? Too bad, you have to do the whole thing, maybe just play little bit with the sculpt tool or do some inpainting to fix the mistakes.

Image not available

200x207

1667349613914.jpg

Anonymous No. 924146

>>924136
Yeah it sure replaced so many already... You're either green or a tourist, either way your opinions are invalid. Boost yourself

Image not available

620x350

luddites.jpg

the chair nerd No. 924147

>>924136
>AI isnt a tool, its a replacer.
Well if replaces 100% of my skill I'll be glad to live in that world. Remember, the car did not kill the horse it saved the horse from hard work.
I suggest you read a book about the Luddites you sound exactly like an 18th century hooligan.
>Dumbass
Seethe anon. (Insert ad hominem here so anon)

Image not available

647x564

United-States-Far....png

Anonymous No. 924148

>>924147
>the car did not kill the horse it saved the horse from hard work
In the end, work really did set them free.

the chair nerd No. 924149

>>924148
Obviously the population of horses declined because the need for them declined. But if you see yourself as a horse you lack the mentality to survive a crisis like AI. See yourself in the business of providing models and media to your clients not in the business of moving vertices, baking textures and spending countless hours fixing topologies.
If AI scares you this means you see yourself as a cog and not the one who charges to pull the levers.

Image not available

1222x1714

2types.jpg

Anonymous No. 924156

>>924147
>>924136

Anonymous No. 924158

>>924147
>Remember, the car did not kill the horse it saved the horse from hard work.
Except the horse doesn't live in the demonic hellscape where it needs to work itself to death in order to not be persecuted for existing.

Image not available

714x733

horsing around.jpg

Anonymous No. 924160

>>924158

Anonymous No. 924164

>>924156
based cris

Anonymous No. 924185

>>924040
don't know about modeling, but with the amount of spammed shitthreads here I'd say it has already replaced human posting.

Anonymous No. 924190

>>924156
top tier OC

Anonymous No. 924226

>>924147
The Luddites weren't against tech tho. That was a lie to discredit their protest that the machines were worthless without human labor.

Anonymous No. 924230

I hope we get AI to do retopology, rigging and curve animation asap.
All arduous tasks that nobody really wants to do.

I don't even think that we need "AI" for that though. All these tasks follow relatively simple rules that could be hand-coded as well.
I blame the industry snafu for not having that already. Nobody wants to invest into research for new algorithms in that area because it might upset existing structures and workflow.
The current hype will hopefully shake that up a little.

Anonymous No. 924239

>>924230
retopology of a sculpt in zbrush takes a few minutes and gives fantastic results. same for retopo of hard-surface models in max using the retopology modifier or quadremesher. if you're thinking ahead while doing hard-surface you won't have to retopo a lot anyway, especially if you're not doing the standard "curved greeble" sci-fi look that is so popular with everyone.

Anonymous No. 924240

>>924230
also regarding the industry not making progress in that field:
https://youtu.be/CD2GiaEu9ZQ

Anonymous No. 924241

>>924239
But does it do context aware topology?
Like have circular loops around features like eyes and so on, add extra loops on places where the rig would require it like for wrinkles.
The only way I think it can be really good enough is if you can define bones on the sculpt and have the algorithm take that into account when creating the mesh.
What also sucks is that the traditional workflow is always destructive.
It should be possible to sculpt a model, define bones and materials on the sculpted model and have have algorithms generate matching topology, rig it and uv map it and have the option to go back and modify the sculpt and have all the steps be projected onto the new version.

The ideal software would essentially behave like virtual clay that can become a bjd doll which you can paint, with the option to go back to any point in the workflow without destroying anything.
All the technical stuff should be handled by the machine.
I know it probably will take a decade till software like that exists but I do think we will get there.

Anonymous No. 924242

>>924241
not automatically, but you simply paint the most important edgeloops in using the "topology" brush. you only need to paint parts of loops in most cases and it will get what result you want. you then use vertex paint (red color for more important, blue for less, white for neutral) to tell zbrush where to put extra density.

>What also sucks is that the traditional workflow is always destructive.
technically true, false in practice. what you do in zbrush is called projection: you keep the original super high poly sculpt, retopologize like i described it (maybe 2mins for a head) and then subdivide the retopo and project the high poly onto it. this makes the subdivided clean mesh adjust to the original high poly even more than before. repeat the process a few times and you are left with a mesh that is still significantly smaller than the sculpt but virtually identical in shape. the super tiny details you want to be part of texturing anyway.

Anonymous No. 924270

Most AI modelers just trace against references and kitbash and modify to meet deadlines and use their own pre-existing assets. Then there's software like substance painter that exploded onto the scene with drag and drop smart materials. Seems pretty automatable already for AI.

Anonymous No. 924271

>>924270
3D modelers*

Anonymous No. 924280

>>924147
You are not a slave forced to work on 3D modeling and nothing else, you are a free man who chose to work on 3D modeling, and world where they replace 100% of your skill is world where you not only lose a job forever in this field, but also world where your 3D hobby holds no value.