Image not available

720x403

Auto-Rigging-Tool....jpg

🧵 Untitled Thread

Anonymous No. 924541

Is there a guide or course on rigging non-human or very cartoony faces in a way that won't make me want to kill myself? Maya or Blender or any software, I don't care at this point, I'm just tired of spending so much time trying to do it all with shapekeys.

Anonymous No. 924593

>>924541
Yeah sure if you rig it in a way that is entirely unusable to any animator that has a time crunch on their necks.
There's a reason why TAs have such good salaries. Don't be lazy.

Anonymous No. 924724

>>924541
I only rigged realistic faces but I always thought how much more different a cartoony character can be.

Because they're relatively low-rez I would add one joint per face vertex. Then I would key the joint positions instead of the vertex positions. The end effect will be identical but you essentially also have a comprehensive level of control over the face in-software. This way if there's an issue with clipping during production, the animator can fix it themselves rather than having the TA to update the rig with another shapekey. Plus if you happen to forget to add a FACS control or require some non-simulated squish/pull effects it's a very easy fix.

MetaHumans by Unreal have a similar approach yet they don't use one joint per vertex. It's more like one joint per 4 vertices. But this is more for optimization purposes.

Anonymous No. 924792

>>924724
>they're relatively low-rez
>the animator can fix it themselves rather than having the TA to update the rig with another shapekey
Lol, lmao, stick to fiddling with your ken dolls, dazchud, instead of spouting nonsense

Anonymous No. 924810

>>924724
good TA gives animators way to clean up shape without hard making other shapekeys in most cases, what are you on about???

Anonymous No. 924823

>>924810
I'm talking about giving animators tools to clean up shapes without having the need to make other shapekeys

what are YOU talking about?

>>924792
low IQ

Anonymous No. 924833

>>924541
There's a paid Josh Sobel tutorial:
https://friggingawesome.gumroad.com/l/sobelfacerig

* The videos are about the facial rigging of this model previewed here:
https://vimeo.com/116134103

He uses bones, blendshapes and set-driven keys (AKA armature, shapekeys & drivers if you're a Blendchud).
It's for Maya, but if you're an Advanced Blender User™, the important parts are interoperable (where to place joints, how to distribute weights, what drivers to use etc).

Anonymous No. 924875

https://polycount.com/discussion/160019/the-art-of-moving-points

Anonymous No. 924913

>>924875
>Pixar veteran
>published in 2013

NOPE.jpg

Anonymous No. 924925

>>924913
Pixar was founded in the 80s

Anonymous No. 924937

>>924925
Tech and requirements evolve anon.
when he quid there was no dual quarternion skinning

Anonymous No. 924938

>>924937
dual quaternion skinning has no visible impact on the art of moving the face which is animated with a series of dozens to hundreds of tapered blendshapes

Anonymous No. 924940

>>924938
this is single most retarded take i have seen.

Anonymous No. 924941

>>924940
>this is single most retarded take i have seen.
you dont know what you're talking about. If you want to rig an elbow or a knee joint and you dont have a muscle simulation, you COULD use DQ. DQ has no effect on a facial rig, which is what this book is about.

You're just another dimwit

Anonymous No. 924984

>>924941
most modern rig have on-mesh controls that stick to it, to adjust the shape of blendshape.

This proves to me You are stuck in pre 2013 coding.

adjust your knowledge chud.

Anonymous No. 925013

>>924938
it does

Dual quaternion is clearly the superior method but I would caution anyone in using it because new(-ish) tech gets incorporated very slowly and there are essential pipeline software packages out there that STILL can't use dual quaternion. I'm looking at you, MD.

If you rig using linear skinning you make sure it's (a) compatible with everything and (b) will look slightly better with dual quaternion when available.

Anonymous No. 925043

>>924984
>most modern rig have on-mesh controls that stick to it, to adjust the shape of blendshape.

anon, I.......

Anonymous No. 925049

>>925043
Yes, (You) dont know about the capabilities of software.

stop pretending you know something when the only thing you know is how to be a gigantic faggot