Image not available

1080x1671

henrich-kimerling....jpg

๐Ÿงต How to get into technical art profession before killing self

Anonymous No. 926229

3D admirer/pleb here with a few more semesters of adult day care/university left.

I haven't learned as much as I'd've liked to, been pretty depressed throughout it all so it's been hard. I'm pretty sure I want to get into the intersection of technical and creative worlds in some way, but lack faith in myself for many reasons, both rational and irrational.

As of now, I barely know how to make procedural models in Maya, PyMel/Python, and Houdini, but enjoy it when I start working. I've barely modeled anything, but plan to work more in Blender and maybe in Houdini for vfx in an upcoming class. I'm minoring in CS, but, like in my digital arts studies, I've been quite lame as a student, and could've practiced and absorbed much more.

How easy is it to get into the industry doing anything a little technical? Is it enjoyable?

Do you happen to know whether it's harder or easier than getting a technical/coding job in the non-creative/business tech world? How would it compare to web development in this regard?

What do you do to pay the bills? I'm getting into my mid-20s and really need to move out of my father's house before I blow my brains out, but with debt mounting and my spirits low, it's looking to be impossible at this rate.

Anonymous No. 926234

>>926229

> doing anything a little technical? Is it enjoyable?
just do something technical and see if it's enjoyable?

>Do you happen to know whether it's harder or easier
so you want something easy or something enjoyable?
if it's enjoyable why would it matter if it's easy or hard lol?

>I'm getting into my mid-20s and really need to move out of my father's house
this is /3/, a board not exactly known for real-estate advice

you sound like someone who's setting themselves up for failure because if you fail at getting a job you'll complain that "it's too hard" (boo hoo), and if you succeed you'll complain that "it's not enjoyable" (boo hoo)

why do you even want to move out in the first place?

Anonymous No. 926236

>>926234
This anon brings up a great point. Why move out? Moving out sucks and you could become a full-time NEET once you graduate. Much better than the normal rat race.

Anonymous No. 926241

The fact you refer to yourself as a pleb and see university as adult daycare really reveals how you see yourself and your peers. Until you change this attitude you're not going to make it far anywhere.

Anonymous No. 926256

>>926234
>>926236
>>926241
Quick!! Someone give him some bad advice to fall back on

Anonymous No. 926265

>>926256
Learn ziva

Anonymous No. 926275

>>926265
>He thinks learning technology that was chosen to be used in the latest Godzilla film and can easily produce Zeke the Lion is "bad advice".
Go cry.

Anonymous No. 926301

>>926275
And heres our lovely resident zivashill

Anonymous No. 926326

>>926234
>just do something technical and see if it's enjoyable?
I wasn't clear here, I meant to ask whether working in the technical-creative field at this point in time is enjoyable, and if so, what makes it enjoyable, and if not, what makes it not as enjoyable as you'd like. I shouldn't be asking strangers if something will be enjoyable for me on a personal level, so I take your point

>easy or something enjoyable?
>why would it matter if it's easy or hard lol?
True, I appreciate this perspective. However, I do mean to get a sense of how much time and preparation are needed to break into either field

>you sound like someone who's setting themselves up for failure because if you fail at getting a job you'll complain that "it's too hard" (boo hoo), and if you succeed you'll complain that "it's not enjoyable" (boo hoo)
Lol I am one to do this kind of thing, I'm typically neurotic and weak-willed, but I'm currently changing that. This borderline post doesn't help me though. I appreciate the reply to it

>why do you even want to move out in the first place?
>>926236
My father triggers me + tacitly wants me out already so he can do his own thing. I feel my other family members collectively breathing down my neck. I want independence and my own space to grow independently. I know I shouldn't be too antsy to split, since I need to be as present as possible in order to ensure a successful trajectory out of university and my parent's house. I understand that this kind of anxiety has driven many people out of viable living situations too hastily, so I'm trying my best to keep a level head

>>926241
True, but I do respect my peers, especially the ones who've made the most of their time in university. Thanks for the reality check

Anonymous No. 926332

>>926326
>My father triggers me + tacitly wants me out already so he can do his own thing.

Children moving out of their parent's home is an American thing concocted by real-estate entrepreneurs. In the more civilized world children move out because: they found a job in a different city, their parents' home isn't big enough, they're making bank and are only temporarily moving out to build a large house at which point their parents will move in with them.

Moving out because "I just want to do my thing" is financially and socially devastating as the entire US society proves it. Moving out will severely decrease your chances of starting a family because: you will give a large portion of your salary to strangers for rent, if you get married you will need to pay another large portion of your salary to strangers so they can babysit your kids while you and your wife are busy making money in order to pay the bills, your leisure time will be spent on running errands, your health will be diminished because you will simply not have the time to cook your own meals, etc. If you live with your parents: you will not pay any rent, you will have a 24/7 free babysitter, a 24/7 free cook, a 24/7 assistant who can run basic errands for you.

If in your particular case your father wants you to move out in order for him to "do his own thing" then fuck him. Just because he wants to whack off in peace, he does not have the right to send his child down a path of crippling financial debt. Refuse to pay rent, refuse to pay more than you use, save that money to get out debt and move closer to that "independence" you want.

Anonymous No. 926389

>>926332
Most people that live with their parents have agreements to pay a significant amount in rent and food but not utilities

Anonymous No. 926394

>>926332
Makes sense, but problem is this guy's in his mid-60s working a tech job and complaining about it every other week, so as to guilt me into thinking his retirement years are being wasted on supporting his children (even though he probably still wouldn't be retired if I were to have moved out already)
>>926389
I pay for all my own shit except utilities, and he owns the house. I'm considering on pitching in more in order to feel less like I owe him

Anonymous No. 926395

>>926332
OP cont...

I appreciate your response, makes me feel less crazy about the somewhat nightmarish situation this can be at times. I hope more families in America will regain that kind of pragmatic traditionalism that so many other countries have retained

Anonymous No. 926423

>>926394
>mid-60s

So he's a boomer then. I'm from Europe so it's not quite the same here but from what others have told me and from what I've seen the boomer generation in the US is the single worst generation of people out there. They're perpetual children who refuse to grow up and take some responsibility.
"60's are the new 50's", "70's are the new 60's", 80's are the new 70's". Sounds familiar? Google "60's are the new 50's"and be amazed how self-centered and stuck in arrested development boomers are.

Anonymous No. 928503

>>926423
it is