Image not available

1724x3000

1668531580250634.jpg

๐Ÿงต Untitled Thread

Anonymous No. 927333

Does drawing improve your ability to model/sculpt/texture?

Anonymous No. 927340

Yes.

Anonymous No. 927342

>>927333
not really, no. shading&layering are major aspects of drawing and play zero role in sculpting. if you want to get good at sculpting it is absolutely not necessary.

Anonymous No. 927346

>>927342
>layering are major aspects of drawing and play zero role in sculpting.

wrong again. Sculpt layers are a major part of zbrush

Anonymous No. 927354

No. Look up the greek sculptors drawings and you will find your answer.

Anonymous No. 927374

>>927333
For cartoony/character stuff, yes. but make a distinction between LINES (drawing) and COLORS (painting) it's two different things.
understanding how lines work and what makes a collection of lines appealing will make you a much better character modeler.
study artists like al hirschfield, jack davis and milt kahl if wanna get good at making quick, geometrically appealing stuff.
also study wire sculptures.
if you're good at drawing consider dicking around with nurbs sometime, they deal a lot with curves and geometric math-y shit which can be fun if you like lines.

Anonymous No. 927376

>>927333
yes, but its more about having an understanding of fundamentals.
for example, folygon cant draw for shit and he can only copy existing things into 3D. when he tries to go off on his own his models look like shit

Anonymous No. 927417

>>927374
Holy shit, the amount of parrotting is incredible. Dude, shut your stupid fucking face and fuck off, you insufferable, no knowledge faggoty fuck.

Anonymous No. 927447

>>927333
Of course it does, anything art related will probably help, but you'll see much more improvement if you spend the same amount of time practicing the actual thing you're trying to learn, instead of wasting it learning to draw from scratch. So unless you have some other purpose you want to learn drawing for, don't bother. But if you already know how to draw, it obviously helps.

Anonymous No. 927450

>>927417
random string of insults isn't an argument. take a chill pill

Anonymous No. 927470

One thing not mentioned yet is that practicing drawing teaches you how to read references. With both 2d and 3d having good reference pictures is super important, and being able to pick out their structure, separate and mentally catalogue all the details and translate them to your art is super important for both artforms.

Having good hand-eye coordination with your drawing tablet is also useful in sculpting and texturing and 2d drawing builds that skill up a lot faster than doodling in 3d.

I'm not very good at drawing, but I've practiced enough that I can replicate a painting decently well given enough time and I can say that it has helped me to work a lot smoother with 3d. 2d won't make you a pro in 3d, but it helps build foundation.

Anonymous No. 927487

>>927340
/thread

Image not available

1028x1023

mate.png

Anonymous No. 928122

>>927417
>parrotting
i'm only giving advice on shit that i've actually studied and found useful in building 3D characters nigger, i'm not parrotting shit. if you think i'm wrong tell me why and share your knowledge with us poor insufferable no-knowledge niggerfucks.

Anonymous No. 928126

>>927346
not true.

Anonymous No. 928203

What the fuck is wrong with this board that it's saturated with fucking psychopaths. It's a valid, normal question and people are freaking the fuck out.

Anonymous No. 928236

>>928203
I think 3d artists can be insecure about 2d art since they feel deep down real artists should be able to draw - but they can't, they just move points around and let the computer deal with all the difficulties like perspective, lighting, shading, and even texture generation

Anonymous No. 928241

>>927333
i think it depnds on what you think drawing is

is it shading forever with little scritchy pencils?
>>927342

or is it cartoony?
>>927374

is it perspective light shade texture?
>>928236

i think drawing for this question is best defined by saying its the correct observation of shape and proportion. if drawing is how you learn it, then great. and drawing (like a render) is always flat and has to be composed in a frame - best shit always looks kino, right?

so if you can see shapes well, reproduce what you understand and compose a shot, you're good. typically drawing gets you there.

Anonymous No. 928247

>>928203
The same question gets asked once a month and it ALWAYS gets the exact same responses.

The answer to your question should be obvious: of course improving your artistic abilities will improve your artistic abilities. Insecure people however can't deal with reality therefore they have to do mental gymnastics to the point of madness.

Anonymous No. 928277

It works the opposite.
3d modeling improves your skill at drawing

Anonymous No. 928280

the only way people can get portraits of faces to have a likeness in a real setting irl is to use the Atelier method, which is basically just tracing

Image not available

1507x939

5676486435753.png

Anonymous No. 928310

>>928241
Yes, this anon hits the nail on the head. I should have been clearer about that in my advice, it's not just about lines but it's how they intersect and give you the final shape that matters...really what you should be studying is the basic geometric forms of things. a lot of things are basically just collections of circles. the more you look at things and analyze how they work in a shape sense (compensating for things like perspective and details "cut" out from the shape) the quicker you'll get at recognizing it. and then it becomes second nature in your own drawings. that knowledge of shapes and how they tend to go together carries over into 3D very well.
look at old 2D model sheets, they're all drawn like real orthographic views of real 3D objects...breaking down all of the basic shapes which are then dressed up and distorted by the animator for the final shot. the principles are basically the same when it comes to caricature regardless of whether you're drawing or building it in 3D.

Anonymous No. 928350

>>928280
in no sense ever is life drawing tracing