Image not available

360x323

test ss.jpg

🧵 Starting out in blender

Anonymous No. 928343

Due to an injury I found myself with more free time so I thought that I would try some "3d modeling." It's been on my backburner for quite a while so I decided to boot up Blender and getting to work. ended up making this in 3 hours, 2 of which were spent watching tutorials to do something specific I wanted to do and figuring out this abomination of an UI.
the question is, How do I just make some somewhat similar models to my sprites so that the shadows don't look like square due to "import image as a flat plane" method. tried to turn the sprites into VSG files but that just messed up the sprites. also I want to do more simplistic 3d geometry so that I can slap in my textures since I know slapping flat plains everywhere ain't gonna cut it for what I want to do, so I gotta learn how to put textures into objects as well, it's gonna be hard to make those models look pixelated so any tips for both the sprites import and 3d models would be greatly appreciated.

Anonymous No. 928372

>>928343
> How do I just make some somewhat similar models to my sprite
For some really simple and fast models, try using a bunch of metaballs, they're primitive shapes that automatically combine when they're close to eachother, just increase the resolution a bit in the metaball properties tab so that you can match the silhouette.

Anonymous No. 928376

>>928372
Not OP, I never really understood the point of using metaballs in blender, at least with the tools we have now. If you want to convert a mesh's volume to a rougly approximate blob covering the same volume then you can either quickly remesh, use the remesh modifier or use geometry nodes. Metaballs are super unwieldy once you spawn more than like ten of them because their radii clutter the viewport to shit. You also need to collapse them into an actual mesh if you want to do anything with them like rig or texture them, which sucks. I know you just mentioned them because OP wants an easy way to make essentially voxels(if I understood right) but it really is easier to use geometry nodes or the remesh modifier if so.

Anonymous No. 928406

regarding 3d models with pixel textures:

https://github.com/recatek/polypixel-wiki/wiki

Here's a little collection of various tutorials related to that topic
I'd say check out the first video in the blender section, It'll teach you how to keep your pixel crisp with pixel density.

Since blender's texture paint feature kinda sucks and making your sprites in another graphic editor will have you reloading the texture each time you make an adjustment, this little plugin called Pribambase can be handy. It allows you to connect blender to aseprite and updates the texture as you draw.

Anonymous No. 929964

>>928343
looks like the shitty cris's mixed 2d/3d style is gettin a following.
congrats then cris, i guess.

Anonymous No. 929978

>>928343
>plains everywhere ain't gonna cut it for what I want to do, so I gotta learn how to put textures into objects as well, it's gonna be hard to make those models look pixelated so any tips for both the sprites import and 3d models would be greatly appreciated.

IN THE PROPERTIES WINDOW, UNDER THE MATERIAL TAB, GO TO THE 'SETTINGS' DROP DOWN BELOW THE SHADER

THERE YOU WILL FIND THE PROPERTIES FOR HOW YOU WISH TO COMPUTE THE TEXTURE'S ALPHA (HASHED, BLEND, OR CLIP)

SELECT 'ALPHA CLIP' FOR BOTH THE TEXTURE ITSELF AND THE SHADOW' RENDERING MODE AS WELL

ADJUST THE CLIP THRESHOLD TO BEST SUIT YOUR SPRITE

MOVE AHEAD USING THE BILLBOARDS MY FRIEND,

DON'T BOTHER WITH GEOMETRY FOR YOUR WISHES HERE,

IT WILL ONLY CAUSE YOU TROUBLE MY FRIEND

BEST.
-SAMMY

“Lost Time is never found again.”
- Poor Richard’s Almanack, 1747

R.I.P. BRUCEY 1956 - 2009