Image not available

523x600

FB_IMG_1662516236....jpg

๐Ÿงต Untitled Thread

Anonymous No. 929210

Anyone else not a fan of the newer method of starting out models by sculpting? If so explain your reason

Anonymous No. 929241

>>929210
Why not? I think the only people that say that are those who aren't good enough to sculpt things, me included. I still try to blockout basic shapes in blender and don't touch hard surface in zbrush at all, but I would if I could, because it can be amazing and much more freeing compared to polymodeling.

Anonymous No. 929248

>>929210
I'm a fan of it, but I can see why someone might not be.
One problem with sculpting is that it is *too good* as a workflow, meaning that artists can freely create using their knowledge of anatomy and design.
This means that standards rise, so it's much more difficult for a hobbyist or a 'mere' modeler (3d monkey) to create a model that's on par with professional work.

Anonymous No. 929253

>>929248
>'mere' modeler (3d monkey)
Why do you guys use this term, why the need to piss on other people? I can use zbrush and can only dream of polymodeling things some artists can do.

Anonymous No. 929260

>>929210
people want nice models not PSX models, the days of block people are gone.

Anonymous No. 929268

>>929253
I honestly didn't mean it in an insulting manner, just to convey a certain skillset.
Personally I'm just a hobbyist and would be happy to get paid to do poly modeling

Anonymous No. 929272

>>929260
Congratulations on outing yourself as a newfag retard that's never actually 3D modeled anything before

Anonymous No. 929274

>>929210
I wish I could combine sculpting and modeling seamlessly. I want all the hot keys, actions, and tools from both modes available simultaneously. Is there a software that does that?

Anonymous No. 929281

I used to dislike sculpting because I thought it was too bumpy/blobby and unwieldy to work with but then I learned a bit and now I like it. It's just more fun than poly modeling because you're not constrained by anything. You're rewiring the topo half the time when you're poly modeling and the real "shape adjustment phase" starts only after it's mostly ironed out becuase how cleanly the shapes are represented in modeling for subdivison heavily depends on topology, but you can basically start doing adjustments after quickly pulling the main shape out and remeshing in sculpting since, well, the entire sculpting process is about adjusting the shape. And if you're a fan of messing with the topology rewiring mini-puzzle you still get plenty of that when you retopo.

Anonymous No. 929336

I'd be interested in trying it out, but I'm not trained with any sculpting tools. So the workflow I have now is to push points for ages to get the shapes I want and often those forms require retopo anyways- I should really learn sculpting

Image not available

294x171

boxm.jpg

Anonymous No. 929664

>>929210
fuck sculptfags
Boxmodeling ftw

Anonymous No. 929666

I got into 3D like two years ago or maybe 3 and sculpting > retopo is like 90% of the tutorials that are ou there when it comes to character creation.

Anonymous No. 929688

>>929210
I'm a polygon modeler and your perspective is retarded. You apply whatever technique best fits the project. It's not about what's fashionable or newer.

/thread