Image not available

1440x720

Faces.png

🧵 Untitled Thread

Anonymous No. 930976

I wanted to know what you guys think of my face sculpting abilities. I’m not trying to get a job or make money doing this stuff, so this isn’t really about the quality of what I’ve made, but whether or not these look like reasonably attractive people. Sometimes a project will look great to me while I’m working on it, but when I look back at it after a while, it looks terrible. Both of these are a couple months old and that hasn’t happened to me with either of them, but sometimes I feel like my eyes are lying to me. Some people go on for years trying to sculpt faces but never seem to be able to make any that look like actual people, and sometimes I fear that is me.

Anonymous No. 930994

>>930976
As a beginner you should learn zbrush you're deliberately capping yourself otherwise. Also the sculpts are looking ok although there are still some mistakes. You should take a 3d scan and simply study and compare, identify if the visible forms come from bone, cartilage, fat or muscle, where and why, this is how you make the most progress. Also, for presentation remember that living beings have translucent skin, Google sub surface scattering if you don't know what it is. When a face is lacking it you get the "plastic toy" effect, so if you don't have materials set up yet, show an unlit or viewport view instead of a lit render

Anonymous No. 931015

>>930976
you have basic proportions down, which is genuinely better than what most people will ever achieve.
without more refined sculpting and texturing i can't even tell though what you're aiming for: realism? stylized?

in general: work with proper references and repeat, repeat, repeat.
sculpt in orthographic, not perspective.

Anonymous No. 931028

>>930976
Sorry but it looks like shit however I know you are putting the hours in it 's just that you aren't as heavily invested in the learning process. If you ever wondered why most artstation fags got so good, it's only because they pirated courses when they first joined cgpeers 12 years ago. Why haven't you done so OP?

Anonymous No. 931066

>>931015
wait, why is sculpting in orthographic important?

Anonymous No. 931067

>>931066
sculpt in perspective but do it at 80mm

Anonymous No. 931093

>>931066
It's important in the early part because perspective can cause a fisheye effect around which you will build your model and it will look bad when you export it and use a different focal length camera when rendering. For portraits you seldom go below 60mm so you can use perspective with 80-100mm in the later parts where you add details but only when no big proportion changes are involved

Anonymous No. 931191

>>931066
if it looks good in orthographic it automatically looks good in all other focal lengths. also most (usable) reference pictures (red carpet shots etc) are taken at focal lengths so high that the difference to true orthographic is negligible.