Image not available

2000x2000

il_fullxfull.2971....jpg

๐Ÿงต 2d artist thinking about switching to 3d because of the AI shit

Anonymous No. 932214

How viable is digital sculpting as main source of income, in your opinion?
Also, where does one start for entry level jobs, do you guys use Fiverr etc. same as we do? Is focusing on sculpting for 3d printing and so on worth it?

Currently learning Zbrush and Blender, any other software I should be aware of thats necessary? Is Substance Painter worth biting into?

Image not available

1920x1080

artisan guild set.jpg

Anonymous No. 932222

>>932214
if you can get up to speed on sculpting and have an interest in miniatures (which your pic seems to imply), you can make a pretty decent income with the patreon-->myminifactory pipeline.

need to get good enough to be able to do a series of characters per month, usually somewhere between 6-12 models is the standard, and the ideal would be to target small army sets, so like a couple leaders, some troops, and a big monster or something. do theme sets, and to make the most money look at existing wargames and RPGs and make your stuff kind of compatible stylistically with that range.

release the monthly pack on patreon for around $10. then, after the month is over, release the files over on myminifactory for around $30-60 for the set, or $3-8 per individual model.

look at patreons like artisan guild or titanforge to get an idea of what im talking about. pipermakes is i think literally just one person who has made quite the following doing something similar, though they use CG&T instead of myminifactory

you dont need to know texturing, rigging, animation, effects, game engines, none of that. you just need modeling and sculpting, and then enough 3D printing knowledge to be able to support and print a model to make sure it will print. there are other companies that you can pay to support your models for you, but that will take a bite of your revenue when you could just do it yourself.

pretty large market, very friendly to indie/freelance sculptors and you dont need to work for anybody. patreon takes a cut, i dont know how much it is but i think its around 5% or so, and myminifacotry takes about 10% plus a monthly designer account fee that i think is around the cost of like a netflix sub.

Image not available

3840x2160

August release2.jpg

Anonymous No. 932224

>>932222
here is another example of a set from another designer. they all have a roughly similar template, although there are some designers that instead just do a collection of random monsters, targetting games like dungeons and dragons instead of a wargame, so the models dont need to fit an army style setup

i also know that artisan guild, and probably some others, have done WIP videos on youtube that show their sculpting process, or at least a time lapse, so you can get an idea of the workflow and amount of effort involved

Anonymous No. 932225

>>932214
and to do work like these>>932222
>>932224

all you need, in regards to software, is zbrush and blender, and if you dont have/cant afford zbrush, blenders sculpting has gotten okay enough to make due, though it is still an inferior tool missing a lot of features and i personally prefer zbrush.

if you are looking for zbrush sculpting tutorials to get up to speed, i recommend Nikolay Naydenov's tutorials. they are fucking excellent, and he has beginner level "never touched zbrush before" tutorials all the way up to advanced level character sculpting and texturing and does a great job with both sculpting technique and technical tools and software. top level tutorials and affordably priced if you feel like paying for them
https://www.artstation.com/marketplace/p/0Jxa/absolute-beginners-zbrush-course

Anonymous No. 932226

>>932222
>>932224
>>932225
Thanks anon, I wasnt expecting such a good reply honestly. I'll look into all of that.

Anonymous No. 932247

>>932214
AI is coming for 3d too. No escape possible. Unless we get a Sarah Connor do murk the AI bastards

Image not available

1255x1109

rgte5y.jpg

Anonymous No. 932251

>>932247
>AI is coming for 3d too. No escape possible
It cant possibly go worse than for 2d, where human creation is getting replaced by remixed bits and pieces from tens of thousands of stolen paintings, and normies love it

Considering currently AI isnt smart enough to add 5 fingers to a hand I'd hope 3d space is going to be a barrier, or at least require very heavy human input

Anonymous No. 932252

>>932224
Wtf all that was sculpted in 1 month?

Anonymous No. 932253

>>932251
I think it will replace some jobs. Retopo monkeys, digital double human modelers, probably some automotive stuff

I think some of the more creative stuff will take longer. I mean ultimately ai will replace humanity in all fields and eventually we will either merge with them in a cyborg/ghost in the shell puppetmaster type scenario or we will all be killed off in a sky net scenario, or ai will just yeet itself off the planet like in the movie her because we're too slow and boring, but until then creative 3d is probably safe enough

Anonymous No. 932254

>>932252
So I think titanforge is a small team but I know artisan guild and many others are just single person designers or 2 person teams. When you have a good grasp on sculpting and don't need to fuck with even textures or topology you can work pretty fast

Anonymous No. 932257

>>932214
Don't you know that in 3D the computer generates your final image?
Your only hope is to go back to pen and paper.

Anonymous No. 932259

>>932257
>in 3D the computer generates your final image
Yeah but its just an image, youre still the person putting together or sculpting the actual object

Besides, in 2d youre using a computer after all anyway to paint, unless youre the 1% trying to be a tradfag and not starve

Anonymous No. 932260

>>932259
Sorry broccoli brain you're not in control of how the 3D renderer works and there's an element of randomness to it as each photon is simulated in a random pattern and lots of post filtering uses basic AI to do things like reduce noise. You'll just have to go back to painting on cave walls or you're not a real artist.

Anonymous No. 932261

>>932260
>Sorry broccoli brain you're not in control of how the 3D renderer works and there's an element of randomness to it
Yeah, and I said that the art part of the process is sculpting/modelling the thing, and taking the photo of it is just the afterthought, so it not being fully manmade doesnt matter to me

Anonymous No. 932263

>>932261
Nah if you want to be a real artist you need to feel every indentation and not use crutches like random brush vectors and there are too many tools you don't have in real life the computer makes it way too easy.
Get yourself some marble and start working on it maybe in 6 months you'll have a sculpture otherwise you're not a real sculptor.