Image not available

1510x827

world map.png

🧵 Untitled Thread

Anonymous No. 933791

Ok I've finally managed to make the basic model for my open world, but I have some problems:
1) how do I give the mountains a more rugged look? Isn't there a sculpting brush with an effect similar to "randomize"?
(cont.)

Anonymous No. 933794

>>933791
2) Is it a good idea to cut everything up in various chunks to load as you approach them in order to avoid overloading the CPU while playing? What the best way to do it?

Anonymous No. 933799

>>933794
3) Should I add grass and particle effects in Blender, or Godot?

Anonymous No. 933812

>>933791
Use displacement maps.

Anonymous No. 933823

>>933791
>my open world
you're suffering from a bad case of Dunning Krueger if you think you will be able to make an open world game.
Have you ever created a simple environment?

Anonymous No. 933856

>>933791

>>933823
listen to this anon OP, start small build up skills then tackle something big

Anonymous No. 933868

>>933791
it's perfect the way it is, just put it in the game like that.

Anonymous No. 933870

>>933799
I think you are very far behind in your knowledge to be able to create an open world game, or any game if you have to question something like that.

To answer your question, you can make your grass in Blender or any program you like that can do UVs and export then import your grass to the engine.

Anonymous No. 933883

Have you posted here before? Those continents look familiar

Anonymous No. 933908

>>933823
>>933870
don't listen to these bitter crab-bucket-mentality fags. they just want to demotivate you, OP.

Anonymous No. 933974

>>933823
look op, just fucking do it, if it sucks then its atleast a learning experience. i hate having subhumans like this assclown right here shit up the board with demotivational shit because apparently you need to have le 3+ years in experience to make a game

who the fuck cares you retard? its fun to make stuff fuck off

Anonymous No. 934441

>>933974
>Solve this 10 dimensional differential equation involving the presence of non-zero three form flux.
Almost like you would have to go through a few steps first

Image not available

1248x792

cave.png

Anonymous No. 934492

OP here.
I'm trying to make caves by making individual models for each cave and then subtracting them from the overworld map through boolean.
Unfortunately, there's this annoying "feature" where the camera sometimes slows down when zooming towards an object, which makes it difficult to go inside and sculpt things.
How do I get rid of it?

Anonymous No. 934500

>>934492
Numpad del key.
Also, the shift+tilde free camera mode

Anonymous No. 934594

>>934492
colonoscopy

Anonymous No. 934622

>>934492

... you realy should grind some tutorials about map creation(engine), blender and stuff! learn geometrynodes, automate many things!

Anonymous No. 935104

I hope this thread is bait bros...

Image not available

1253x793

wall.png

Anonymous No. 935189

added a wall

Image not available

1428x795

bridge.png

Anonymous No. 935190

and a bridge

Anonymous No. 935264

>>934622
nta but godot doesn’t have a built-in terrain creation kit, so OP must be forced to sculpt everything in blender, then import the models as solid body 3D meshes in the engine.
Given the fact he doesn’t seem very aware of memory allocation and how in-game rendering LOD works, I doubt it will work out well. But I hope he succeeds
>>935190
This looks particularly interesting and I wonder if he connected everything neatly in a vertex, or if he’s loading godot with 3D meshes loaded with large faced quads

Anonymous No. 935276

>>933791
You can use World Machine to simulate terrain which will give you a bunch of variation; you could even import a heightmap. Saying that, it doesn't do stylised stuff and it's pretty clunky so it would need a decent amount of post work for a playable area.

I think this is how they made the entirety of Steep, which is pretty funny / cheap

Image not available

1449x805

g.png

Anonymous No. 935284

Now I'm trying a different approach... use particle effects for terrain.
How do I merge all particles with the terrain into 1 seamless mesh?
(Also, why are the particles always rotated 90° by default instead of being straight?)

>>935276
>You can use World Machine to simulate terrain which will give you a bunch of variation
Is there a Linux version?

Anonymous No. 935344

>>935284
I really hope you know what triangulation is, or you’ll be in a lot of pain
Also good luck retopologying all these quads into solid bodies meshes in Godot

Image not available

1508x828

trees.png

Anonymous No. 935902

>>935284
I just discovered particle painting... exactly what I needed. Things should go much smoother now.
Also, it's looking better then I expected when there's a background.

>I really hope you know what triangulation is
err... maybe I do but didn't know that's how it's called...
can you elaborate pls?

Anonymous No. 935929

If you're just gonna post your retarded models without knowing shit about modeling and refuse to listen to feedback then go join >>907188 you autistic retard

Anonymous No. 935942

>>935929
If you're just going to barge in here only to shitpost and refuse to answer to one single question, you're kindly invited to fuck off you waste of air

Anonymous No. 935957

>>935902
Not him but basically when building a terrain you would ideally keep simple shapes because the 3D engine (any engine, from capcom’s re engine to godot) needs to divide any quad (any shape who’s made of two vertexes aka small dots in blender) into two triangles. Because 3D renderers need triangles to understand what a mesh is.
A mesh is anything that you would call a solid. That tree? A mesh. Terrain? A mesh? Etc
Because you’re building such a big and solid world, the engine system needs to convert any mesh in a bunch of triangles to convert them into what you want them to be in the game.
Godot doesn’t know what a “terriain” is because there’s no terrain system in that engine. So, every mesh you think it’s a terrain, is basically a “normal solid shape solid body” for the engine.
You would need to convert any terrain piece into a solidshape 3D, and manually create a “net” of triangles, so the engine is able to tell it’s a solid, otherwise all your terrain is a giant piece of air, and your playermodel3D would fall through it while walking.
Also you need to manually code an extension for your big map because godot doesn’t have one. You need to store LOD (level of detail) info somewhere it won’t affect the cache and maximum memory load of the engine or it won’t run, it will stutter and lag or simply but itself into a black hole.
Hope this serves as a solid basis to further expand your research on game engines.

Anonymous No. 935958

>>935957
Sorry for the typos I’m wasted also a quad is 4 dots not 2
Cheers

Image not available

1220x1506

tri.png

Anonymous No. 936056

>>935957
You mean like pic related

>Also you need to manually code an extension for your big map because godot doesn’t have one. You need to store LOD (level of detail) info somewhere
I think someone made a LOD extension for Godot

Anonymous No. 936064

>>936056
It can be easily coded but results aren’t that good and it’s also too buggy.
Just use Ogre like Kenshi did

Anonymous No. 936262

>>936056
Looks great. How's development faring?

Anonymous No. 936275

>>936056
>Manually managing terrain geometry and LODs in blender instead of using heightmaps and quadtrees or clipmaps
Based, I've never seen someone just go for it like that

Anonymous No. 936494

>>933791
I feel like this is one of those extremely elaborate 3dcg shitposts

Image not available

1438x2692

skies.png

Anonymous No. 937324

I think I finally found a way to make skies.
1) make texture
2) make seamless junctions
3) repeat several times in both directions
4) make a gray gradient towards both top and bottom (leave only the middle)
5) fill everything with a color gradient in "strong light" mode (or something appropriate to the texture)
unfortunately sometimes it still look stretched (see pic below)

(P.S.: the tower is supposed to be about 1000 m tall)

Anonymous No. 939395

>>937324
Will the player enter the tower for a level transition or something?
Looks like a cool concept, you should get a player character moving around in the world before building too much. Just to test the scale and get ideas.