Image not available

720x611

cat_at_work_eatin....png

๐Ÿงต Making Blender production-ready

Anonymous No. 934187

Hello /3/, I've been thinking of putting together a small team in a few years to make a short CG movie.
Most of my work experience is in Blender, so as a 3D generalist, that's the software I'd prefer to use, but I already know that I would need to integrate in the pipeline:
-Houdini for the FXTD
-Zbrush for the character artist
-Possibly Maya for an extra animator
I know Blender gets a lot of shit for only being good for lone artists (point taken, we were a team of two at the job where we used Blender), but I'd like to know if there is a clear consensus on the biggest obstacles to Blender being production-ready, to see if there are ways to get around those problems for my project
Here's what I remember being criticised:
>No batch rendering
We'll probably rent out a render farm, otherwise there's Renderpilot
>Performance problems
We'll do sculpting and sims in separate programs
>Neglected features, like animation tools or texture painting
There's addons to improve these two
>Cycles is slow
Not anymore, at least not with all the denoising tools
Is there anything else I should look at? Not trying to start shit, I'm genuinely willing to learn
And if I see that Blender would clearly cripple production, I'll bite the bullet and switch to Maya (but I'd rather not if I can help it, I don't like re-learning things or paying for shit, hehe)

Anonymous No. 934249

You sound like you're LARPing and haven't actually took any steps toward this goal. You also haven't told us anything about the style you're going for and expect us to give you advice better than what you can come up with yourself, which is a red flag.

Anonymous No. 934319

>>934187
What's the movie?

Anonymous No. 934359

>>934319
waterworld 2: "wetter and better"

Anonymous No. 934360

>>934359
you dont have the rights for that title.

Anonymous No. 934365

>>934319
it's a prequel to se7en where john doe is a toddler in kindergarten and reminds the other kids not to sin while shitting his diapies. it's going to be hilarious.

Anonymous No. 934372

>>934249
>You sound like you're LARPing and haven't actually took any steps toward this goal.
Correct, I'm only brainstorming ATM
>You also haven't told us anything about the style you're going for
I would err towards photorealism, animals only, with surreal, dream-like visuals. I didn't mention it because I didn't think it was pertinent
>(You) expect us to give you advice better than what you can come up with yourself, which is a red flag.
Why is that? Do you think it shows a lack of confidence? From my POV, I just think many brains is better than one to solve a problem, that's what forums are for

Anonymous No. 934374

>>934372
>You sound like you're LARPing and haven't actually took any steps toward this goal.
>Correct, I'm only brainstorming ATM
Well, correct except for the LARPing part, I must clarify hehe

Anonymous No. 934375

>>934365
Ohhh, a Boss baby/Se7en crossover? A daring proposal

Anonymous No. 936257

>>934365
>toddler
>kindergarten
>diapers
Anon, I...
What was your childhood like??

Anonymous No. 936259

>>934187
have you considered hiring off the streets of Jamundi, Cris?

Anonymous No. 936260

>>936259
No! Satistics don't lie. In a sample of 3, 3 out of 3 vallecaucanos are delinquents.

Anonymous No. 936263

>>936257
I grew up in a way that would enable me to not act like a fucking retard, for instance I would never bump a schizophrenics off-topic garbage thread in order to make a pointless and autist comment.

Amazon has a sale on helium and breathing masks right now, maybe do us all a favor?

Anonymous No. 936946

>>936263
Truly, the type of anger one can only produce when their mom makes them wear diapers to kindergarten.
Let the pain go, anon. There's no reason to be embarrassed anymore.