Image not available

684x474

1151600445892.jpg

๐Ÿ—‘๏ธ ๐Ÿงต Proprietary engines suck

Anonymous No. 936395

Before joining the game industry: "Man, I can't wait to work with a custom engine, AAA games look so cool!"
After joining the game industry: "Please use Unreal, please use Unreal, please use Unreal"

Anonymous No. 936397

>>936395
Unreal is garbage compared to unity

Anonymous No. 936401

>>936397
>Unreal is garbage compared to unity
Okay I'll bite. Why?

Anonymous No. 936411

>>936395
Maybe I just don't "get it", but I've always figured that working with proprietary ANYTHING was fucking cancer of the highest order. Like with game engines I could see it being a boon for something that needs a bespoke solution that would be just as cancerous to try and piece together in an engine not built for it, but anything else it's just why? I don't see the point. People aren't breaking new ground with video games anymore, the need for a bespoke engine just isn't there unless you're doing something completely novel with world generation or something like Space Engineers.

Anonymous No. 936438

>>936401
Unity lets you access its features deep down to almost the core, even without source access you can do almost anything you can imagine if you're good at maths and programming
This means there are tons of unoptimized garbage games because some people should not get any access to bottom layer game engine functions

Unreal has more features but the second you want to go deeper it tries its best to hinder you any way it can. Source access doesn't mean shit in UE, the code documentation is garbage and often enough plain wrong on things like return values.
Theoretically you could rewrite entire parts of the engine, but no matter how good you are it's going to be a huge pain in the ass and that's either intentional or the result of 20 years of bloat no one bothered to clean up.

Anonymous No. 936439

>>936438
I am the gay.

Anonymous No. 936449

>>936438
>Unreal has more features but the second you want to go deeper it tries its best to hinder you any way it can.
If you haven't made that up on the spot you should be able to give us at least one example, amirtie?

Anonymous No. 936457

>>936449
I've given this example for years and it's still valid, that should tell you how shit that engine is:
Try making a car not handle like the UT3 scorpion. You can't.

Anonymous No. 936485

>>936457
What? With an example I mean something that where
>you want to go deeper it tries its best to hinder you any way it can.

Just tell us what you did try to do.

Anonymous No. 936642

>>936457
I can attest to this. Even a PC remake of wangan midnight (arcade) was done on Unity despite how much easier it would've been to match the graphics with Unreal purely due to how uniquely the game handles physics. I think Android VS Apple would be the analogy for these two engines.

Anonymous No. 936688

>>936395
>>936411
Unreal is proprietary you braindead zoomlet.

Anonymous No. 936717

>>936688
KYS

Anonymous No. 936755

>>936688
An engine that's freely available to everyone is the exact opposite of "proprietary". At least in the sense that OP is trying to convey.
You could argue that "nuh uh, it's proprietary because Epic at one point made it for use in their own games in the 90s", but you'd also be a retarded pedant at that point and you still won't get your parents to love you.

Anonymous No. 936877

>>936688
>>936717
>>936755
You retards will fight over anything, get a fucking life.