Image not available

3920x2048

soap holder.png

๐Ÿงต Untitled Thread

Topology General - /tg/ No. 940470

Hi /3/, would you consider this decent topology for a 3d prop? And if not, how can I fix it? I am trying to model a soap holder in my shower for practice, wanted to get your thoughts on how this is turning out. I am a beginner so I'm just trying to practice good fundamentals, please give your best advice thanks.

Anonymous No. 940471

Picrel is high res btw, open original for better quality

Anonymous No. 940475

>I am trying to model a soap holder in my shower for practice,
why doesn't it look anything like it then

Anonymous No. 940487

>>940470
A thread died for this, no doubt a thread about as shit as this one

Anonymous No. 940510

>>940475
You didn't answer the question in the OP faggot. You are right though I will work on it in the morning.

>>940487
Fuck you nigger, the last 6 posts which were questions in the blender general had no replies, suck my balls. Even though you two have been useless so far at least I'm getting some response.

Anonymous No. 940515

why is there a cookie on that soap holder?

Anonymous No. 940520

average blender modeling skills

Anonymous No. 940526

>>940510
>last 6 posts which were questions in the blender general had no replies
wow, why isn't everyone going to page fucking six and looking a thread that hit the bump limit days ago

just make a new thread blendlets

Anonymous No. 940554

>>940510
The real question is why are you asking for validation on something that is clearly not good? The basic shape isn't even there, if you can't see that you might as well give up on 3D.

Anonymous No. 940589

>>940554
I whipped this up in like 3 minutes, I am not concerned with the quality of the model in picrel. I am trying to understand the foundation of topology and whether or not those long diagonal lines are good or bad. Why are you so faggots so immediately dismissive and critical? I am going to become a fucking amazing 3D artist and there is nothing you can do to stop me nigger. All I was asking for was guidance on the current status of it and you directly go into being FUD faggots trying to scare me away from the medium. You are not special and I will surpass you in the future. Seethe on that nigger

Anonymous No. 940598

>>940470
Why are you practicing 3d when you can't even observe the curvature of the soap holder? Go back to drawing schizo. Your observation skills is severely lacking.

Anonymous No. 940601

>>940598
Read the post above retard, I didn't get there yet. But now that I think about it, if I had selected the plane when it was just vertical in edit mode with vertex select and used scroll wheel up with I think bevel(?) it would increase the amount of verts around the corners. I could've done it that way. I might have not explained it exactly right but it is close to that.

Image not available

1600x783

IMG-20230321-WA0002.jpg

Banned nerd No. 940631

>>940470
Here you go anon. Next time use /SQTDDTOT/

Modeling took 4 minutes.
https://youtu.be/lvF44yhu4jw

When poly modelling there are 2 golden rules.

1.Maintain edge loops. Same shapes must have same topology so the cylindrical border must have obviously a cylindrical base.

2.Edge flow. Don't end loops in nothing. Edges have 2 purposes, make a shape or limit a shape. Curved ends in thep late have a near edge loop that limits the curve.

Cheers.

Anonymous No. 940643

>>940631
Holy shit, finally a man of confidence and poise. THANK YOU, anon. You are incredible. I will apply these concepts, and post in that general next time. One question though, what is that tool you are using at the beginning? A nurbs curve or something similar? I am trying to think how I could achieve the same thing in blender, like using one of those curves and then adding solidify modifier onto it? Pretty noob shit I know but trying to learn. Thanks again.

Banned nerd No. 940646

>>940643
No prob anon. Its hard for me to post right now cuz I'm banned and I cant run a vpn from office. In 3ds max that is a plain spline with a mesh profile setting. For similar workflow in blender you can use sonething called "sweep profile curves". The important thing to learn is that you should divide your modelling into parts and make the mental exercise: is this cilyndrical profile better made with this tool or not. Does this general bend need subdivisions in thir otientation etc etc. This only comes with referencecstudy and practice.